Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
HOW can y’all turn a thread solely about QBs into a coaching discussion??? A topic that’s literally one of the most controversial and exciting about the new season, and y’all still turn it into a conversation about coaches.
Because at Georgia Tech...WE CAN DO THAT!......?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
JG moves to DB, not sure when though or he might transfer but I'm more inclined to think DB. I think at db with our coaching he might have a shot at sundays, so he makes the move.
My guess on QB is Gleason just based on what his HS coach said about him. He said he only has to say something once to him and he's got it. That right now would be very important in our situation imo. Sims has noted he has to really work on understanding what to do, i'm guessing that means a package for him early on and then we will see from there, all IMO of course and i've been wrong before.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve read that Sims isn’t that far off from Gleason from a knowledge and running the offense standpoint. That it’s very close.
No special packages needed. They’ll work on the plays each one of the run the best and go from there.

HOW can y’all turn a thread solely about QBs into a coaching discussion??? A topic that’s literally one of the most controversial and exciting about the new season, and y’all still turn it into a conversation about coaches.
Because coaches choose the QB's to use, coach them during the week, and call the plays during the games that the QB's run. How can you possibly have a conversation about QBs without including comments about the QBs' coaches?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Because coaches choose the QB's to use, coach them during the week, and call the plays during the games that the QB's run. How can you possibly have a conversation about QBs without including comments about the QBs' coaches?
You’re 100% correct. Coaches pick the QB, call plays, and their strategies affect which QBs can be effective in-game, and which cannot. But, can you please explain to me how these posts have anything to do with the current QB speculation:
I agree, but am willing to give him a pass since last year was a complete transition year and we had serious injuries. However, if we see more of the same crap as last year from Coach Patenaude with a healthy team and one that has had a year of experience, then I think it is time to move on from him and get a new OC.
I know I am going to tick off some of you guys, and honestly, I HOPE I am wrong, but, based on last year, I just don't trust P'Nut to get it done for us.
^ These statements provide no context about QBs and focus solely on OCs

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Mine relates to the QBs because I don't want to see Patenaude rotate between the QBs seemingly at random, sometimes on the same drive like he did last year. I would rather have an OC that picks ONE of our talented QBs, whoever wins the job, and stick with him until he shows signs of not being able to get it done.

You’re 100% correct. Coaches pick the QB, call plays, and their strategies affect which QBs can be effective in-game, and which cannot. But, can you please explain to me how these posts have anything to do with the current QB speculation:

I echo what dmel25 posted ---
Mine relates to the QBs because I don't want to see Patenaude rotate between the QBs seemingly at random, sometimes on the same drive like he did last year. I would rather have an OC that picks ONE of our talented QBs, whoever wins the job, and stick with him until he shows signs of not being able to get it done.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Coach P implied that he would prefer one guy that could do it all and take 80% of the snaps. He listed four things that he was looking for. But he hedged his bet by saying you never know. Paraphrasing, of course.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Because it seemed random to you doesn’t mean it was. We had serious deficiencies at QB last year and the staff was trying to get something accomplished with what they had to work with.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The question everybody who wants the staff to “stick to one guy” has to ask themselves is: How long do you let a starter struggle before you go to the next guy? Now obviously the best situation would be the guy that starts the game in Tallahassee will produce, and will help Tech win games. But what if that isn’t the case? How many opportunities do you give any of these guys if they struggle? I guarantee there will be at least a few of those “stick to one guy” fans who will be ready to jump ship after the first bad quarter the starter plays.

So, if you want the staff to stick to one guy, what if that guy throws 2 picks on his first 3 drives and fumbles a snap on the 3rd? You leave him in? What if he’s 3-11 after the first quarter with a couple picks and some awful throws? Do you ride him out for the entire game? The next game? The whole year?

I think it’s fairly obvious that Graham isn’t the guy. So that means the only guy with FBS experience is Yates, although his experience is very limited. Nobody really knows what Sims or Gleason have done in camp, and there was no spring game to see them in action. Ideally I’d like to see them finish the year with “the guy” at the helm, but I don’t know how realistic it is to pick “the guy” early in the season. I think all 3 of them need to see pretty significant minutes to make that decision, unless of course one of them separates themselves as the leader, or the obvious 3rd string.

IMO, the best strategy for starting the year at QB is to run Yates (or plug Sims or Gleason in to your choosing, but I would prefer at least some limited experience) out to start the FSU game and see how he does for 3-4 drives. If we move the ball and score points leave him in. If we struggle or he turns the ball over, rotate the next guy in. I think all 3 of them should get 3-4 drives to prove themselves and then we go from there. Some of you would hate that, and it’s understandable, but we really have no idea what we have at QB right now. I’d at least like to see them all. But I also trust that the staff knows what their order is, and who the best among them is.

The question everybody who wants the staff to “stick to one guy” has to ask themselves is: How long do you let a starter struggle before you go to the next guy? Now obviously the best situation would be the guy that starts the game in Tallahassee will produce, and will help Tech win games. But what if that isn’t the case? How many opportunities do you give any of these guys if they struggle? I guarantee there will be at least a few of those “stick to one guy” fans who will be ready to jump ship after the first bad quarter the starter plays.

So, if you want the staff to stick to one guy, what if that guy throws 2 picks on his first 3 drives and fumbles a snap on the 3rd? You leave him in? What if he’s 3-11 after the first quarter with a couple picks and some awful throws? Do you ride him out for the entire game? The next game? The whole year?

I think it’s fairly obvious that Graham isn’t the guy. So that means the only guy with FBS experience is Yates, although his experience is very limited. Nobody really knows what Sims or Gleason have done in camp, and there was no spring game to see them in action. Ideally I’d like to see them finish the year with “the guy” at the helm, but I don’t know how realistic it is to pick “the guy” early in the season. I think all 3 of them need to see pretty significant minutes to make that decision, unless of course one of them separates themselves as the leader, or the obvious 3rd string.

IMO, the best strategy for starting the year at QB is to run Yates (or plug Sims or Gleason in to your choosing, but I would prefer at least some limited experience) out to start the FSU game and see how he does for 3-4 drives. If we move the ball and score points leave him in. If we struggle or he turns the ball over, rotate the next guy in. I think all 3 of them should get 3-4 drives to prove themselves and then we go from there. Some of you would hate that, and it’s understandable, but we really have no idea what we have at QB right now. I’d at least like to see them all. But I also trust that the staff knows what their order is, and who the best among them is.
I say pick a starter, and I really don't care which one that may be. Stick with him at least through one complete quarter, unless he just folds completely during that quarter. If he has a good quarter, leave him in into the second quarter. If he is not productive at all, even if he doesn't completely flop, bring in #2 at the start of the 2nd quarter. If #1 simply survives the first quarter, looking neither good nor bad, but just sort of blah, then bring in #2 at the start of the 2nd quarter. Use the same criteria in the 2nd quarter. For the 3rd quarter, choose either the best of those 2, or bring in #3. Just please do not rotate all 4 of them in one quarter.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I say pick a starter, and I really don't care which one that may be. Stick with him at least through one complete quarter, unless he just folds completely during that quarter. If he has a good quarter, leave him in into the second quarter. If he is not productive at all, even if he doesn't completely flop, bring in #2 at the start of the 2nd quarter. If #1 simply survives the first quarter, looking neither good nor bad, but just sort of blah, then bring in #2 at the start of the 2nd quarter. Use the same criteria in the 2nd quarter. For the 3rd quarter, choose either the best of those 2, or bring in #3. Just please do not rotate all 4 of them in one quarter.
That’s more or less my train of thought. I don’t want to see guys rotated in and out within the same drive or series like we saw a few times last year, but I do think they deserve a chance. Especially with the eligibility rules changing for next year, there’s not really a point in not giving them a chance with Peery on the horizon as well. By the 3rd or 4th game I’d like the position to be locked down, but I want to see a little bit of everybody early, and in the case of a blowout on either side of the spectrum later in the year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Bo Nix started for Auburn last year as a true freshman against the number 11 team in the country. He went 6-18 in the first half with two interceptions. Should Auburn have benched him? Would they have won that game if they had? Probably not. Would they have had as good of a season if they had? Probably not. Young guys are going to struggle. If you keep swapping them out each time they face adversity then none of them are going to improve.

I personally would roll with the guy I picked the entire first game unless it gets out of hand in the 2nd half. I would likely roll with him for a couple of games after that as well. If he is still throwing interceptions every drive at that point then I will probably pull him but at the same time I will question my own ability to evaluate and prepare QBs.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Bo Nix started for Auburn last year as a true freshman against the number 11 team in the country. He went 6-18 in the first half with two interceptions. Should Auburn have benched him? Would they have won that game if they had? Probably not. Would they have had as good of a season if they had? Probably not. Young guys are going to struggle. If you keep swapping them out each time they face adversity then none of them are going to improve.

I personally would roll with the guy I picked the entire first game unless it gets out of hand in the 2nd half. I would likely roll with him for a couple of games after that as well. If he is still throwing interceptions every drive at that point then I will probably pull him but at the same time I will question my own ability to evaluate and prepare QBs.
I mean... Bo Nix also finished the year 84th in passing efficiency, tied for 68th in passing touchdowns, 65th in passing yards, and finished 101st in PFF’s 2019 QB rankings. For all intents and purposes, he was an extremely average QB and one of the worst in the SEC. He just happened to play for a pretty good team with a pretty stout defense. His backup, Joey Gatewood, put up good numbers in his extremely limited playing time, and will probably be Kentucky’s starter next year. Bo Nix made one throw on a Hail Mary to win the Oregon game, and that throw cemented his job for the remainder of the year.

I wouldn’t really call Bo Nix the poster boy for “sticking with one guy.” If anything, he’s a great example of giving other guys a chance to prove themselves. Just think about most of the great college QBs over the last 5 years. Almost all of them split playing time, or didn’t play at all early in their careers: Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Tua, Baker Mayfield, Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm (yeah, ik he sucked last year), Kyle Trask, Sam Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and on and on. There’s really no reason to expect the guy that takes the first snap against FSU to continue being the guy, and I hope everyone gets the chance to prove themselves as the only guy that deserves to take snaps.