Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MySouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In my very uneducated opinion, I don’t understand the love for Sims just based on his athleticism. If he can’t consistently make throws and move the offense, all that athleticism doesn’t push him over Graham as a QB. My guess is Gleason takes the start for consistency and passing game threat but Sims will take a lot of red zone snaps and various packages.

But regardless of who starts, if another QB is effective in various packages, I’d expect the coaches to let the hot hand ride.
...he was an elite 11 QB

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this, my issue with the QB rotation last year was how it was executed. The first half of the year we seemed to just randomly swap QBs during a drive and it was infuriating, and to me that kills a player's morale more than if you pull them out after the half or after a quarter. I don't know, I don't have an issue rotating the QBs this year, especially since it is a free year essentially, let the guys get reps in games so we see who comes out and can play the best.
I can remember only a couple of times we switched during a drive so think you are way overstating that. But the biggest issue was TO couldn’t pass and LJ couldn’t handle game pressure. Until about mid-season JG couldn’t run the offense. Not sure what else you do given that situation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is. But a rebuild takes time. Two seasons isn’t really all that long especially when you consider we haven‘t had a QB in any of the last 3 seasons. Don’t blame Collins because high schools had better QB‘s on their rosters than GT did when he took the job. The only way back is thru recruiting and he is getting it done. Hopefully, one of these guys shows up and we’ll win a bunch of games this year.
Yep, nearly every high school in the country had multiple 4 star recruits at QB. Talent is through the roof these days.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yep, nearly every high school in the country had multiple 4 star recruits at QB. Talent is through the roof these days.
QB options in 2019:
  1. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Had thrown ZERO passes prior to 2019.
  2. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Played in a run first, option based offense in high school, was recruited to play in the 3O. Completed 7 out of 16 passes prior to 2019
  3. 4 star athlete with GT being the only P5 to offer him a spot as a QB. Was unable to participate in spring practice, and had never played in a game before
  4. 3/4 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. True freshman
Please don’t act like there was some hidden talent at the QB position that wasn’t revealed last year. All 4 of the available QBs combined to go 7-16 total on passes, and the only one recruited for the new system was a true freshman who held one P5 offer. There were literally dozens of high schools in Georgia alone who had more talent at QB last year than what Tech had.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is. But a rebuild takes time. Two seasons isn’t really all that long especially when you consider we haven‘t had a QB in any of the last 3 seasons. Don’t blame Collins because high schools had better QB‘s on their rosters than GT did when he took the job. The only way back is thru recruiting and he is getting it done. Hopefully, one of these guys shows up and we’ll win a bunch of games this year.
I think you went a little too far with your hyperbole. We've had good QB's for what we did. We now have good QB's for what we plan to do.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
QB options in 2019:
  1. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Had thrown ZERO passes prior to 2019.
  2. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Played in a run first, option based offense in high school, was recruited to play in the 3O. Completed 7 out of 16 passes prior to 2019
  3. 4 star athlete with GT being the only P5 to offer him a spot as a QB. Was unable to participate in spring practice, and had never played in a game before
  4. 3/4 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. True freshman
Please don’t act like there was some hidden talent at the QB position that wasn’t revealed last year. All 4 of the available QBs combined to go 7-16 total on passes, and the only one recruited for the new system was a true freshman who held one P5 offer. There were literally dozens of high schools in Georgia alone who had more talent at QB last year than what Tech had.
Can you name the dozens of high schools in Georgia who currently have a better QB situation than a 4 star dual threat QB ranked 6th in the country, a 4 star athlete who played QB in high school and was recruited by nearly everyone, and a three star dual threat QB with decent G5 offers? Have a little more respect for the guys you claim to support.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bo Nix started for Auburn last year as a true freshman against the number 11 team in the country. He went 6-18 in the first half with two interceptions. Should Auburn have benched him? Would they have won that game if they had? Probably not. Would they have had as good of a season if they had? Probably not. Young guys are going to struggle. If you keep swapping them out each time they face adversity then none of them are going to improve.

I personally would roll with the guy I picked the entire first game unless it gets out of hand in the 2nd half. I would likely roll with him for a couple of games after that as well. If he is still throwing interceptions every drive at that point then I will probably pull him but at the same time I will question my own ability to evaluate and prepare QBs.
Agree... I would be shocked if we do not see Gleason or Sims starting and most likely both getting playing time.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Can you name the dozens of high schools in Georgia who currently have a better QB situation than a 4 star dual threat QB ranked 6th in the country, a 4 star athlete who played QB in high school and was recruited by nearly everyone, and a three star dual threat QB with decent G5 offers? Have a little more respect for the guys you claim to support.
2019 not 2020

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Stating facts is not disparaging them. When did I say I didn’t respect those guys? Your anecdotal statements are not the truth. You act like Yates and Graham were highly sought after QBs when they weren’t. Does that mean they can’t grow into NFL HOFers? No. Brett Favre went to Southern Miss. Anything can happen. But if you must know
  • Marietta HS had a 5 star QB who is now at Tennessee with offers to play QUARTERBACK (not defense or WR) from dozens of P5 schools
  • Woodward HS had a 4 star QB who is now at Vandy with numerous P5 offers to play QUARTERBACK
  • Oconee HS had a 4 star QB who is now at LSU with dozens of P5 offers to QUARTERBACK
  • Cartersville HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Louisville with numerous P5 offers to play QB
  • Valdosta HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Florida State with numerous P5 offers to play QB
  • Grayson HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Maryland with numerous P5 offers to play QB
Those are just the guy in the top 100. There are plenty of other schools in the state that had QBs with more than 1 P5 offer to play quarterback. I haven’t given up on Yates, or Graham. I think Yates should get a fair chance to win the job. I really like his HS tape, and think he could absolutely be a quality QB in the ACC. But he was a true freshman last year, and there has to be something other than his size that other P5s didn’t like. Everybody has seen guys like Russel Wilson, Jonny Manziel, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, etc. be dominate at the position despite their height. Demetrius Davis is 5’11”, the 9th ranked DT QB in this year’s class, and has committed to Auburn and has dozens of other P5 offers. Yates was the only top 20 DT QB in his class that only has 1 singular P5 offer. Seems a bit strange, no? As for Graham, once again, we were the only P5 that wanted him as a QB. Mostly because he played in a run first offense in HS, and we recruited him as a 3O QB.

Once again, I’m not disparaging anybody. I’m stating facts. The facts are that our QB room was not good last year. No other P5s wanted our QBs, and they barely had any playing time with all 4 of them combined. Those are facts. And there’s no argument for that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do you not listen to what the staff actually says? They won’t use the term “scrimmage”, but they’ve repeatedly said that all players ATL will play and get a chance to earn every spot. No player wins a job in practice. Players earn jobs based on game performance. Sure, someone will “start” but that means nothing when have 4 guys who haven‘t earned it in a game yet this season.
I still say if we take this year as a scrimmage we pick the wrong guy. You put players on the field to win and try and win every time or you are not being fair to the players and fans that pay money for tickets. And yes you earn a job at practice why do you think they practice.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Stating facts is not disparaging them. When did I say I didn’t respect those guys? Your anecdotal statements are not the truth. You act like Yates and Graham were highly sought after QBs when they weren’t. Does that mean they can’t grow into NFL HOFers? No. Brett Favre went to Southern Miss. Anything can happen. But if you must know
  • Marietta HS had a 5 star QB who is now at Tennessee with offers to play QUARTERBACK (not defense or WR) from dozens of P5 schools
  • Woodward HS had a 4 star QB who is now at Vandy with numerous P5 offers to play QUARTERBACK
  • Oconee HS had a 4 star QB who is now at LSU with dozens of P5 offers to QUARTERBACK
  • Cartersville HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Louisville with numerous P5 offers to play QB
  • Valdosta HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Florida State with numerous P5 offers to play QB
  • Grayson HS had a 3 star QB who is now at Maryland with numerous P5 offers to play QB
Those are just the guy in the top 100. There are plenty of other schools in the state that had QBs with more than 1 P5 offer to play quarterback. I haven’t given up on Yates, or Graham. I think Yates should get a fair chance to win the job. I really like his HS tape, and think he could absolutely be a quality QB in the ACC. But he was a true freshman last year, and there has to be something other than his size that other P5s didn’t like. Everybody has seen guys like Russel Wilson, Jonny Manziel, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Drew Brees, etc. be dominate at the position despite their height. Demetrius Davis is 5’11”, the 9th ranked DT QB in this year’s class, and has committed to Auburn and has dozens of other P5 offers. Yates was the only top 20 DT QB in his class that only has 1 singular P5 offer. Seems a bit strange, no? As for Graham, once again, we were the only P5 that wanted him as a QB. Mostly because he played in a run first offense in HS, and we recruited him as a 3O QB.

Once again, I’m not disparaging anybody. I’m stating facts. The facts are that our QB room was not good last year. No other P5s wanted our QBs, and they barely had any playing time with all 4 of them combined. Those are facts. And there’s no argument for that.
Our QB room still isn’t all that great in general. We certainly still need to improve, but to argue any of them aren’t good enough to play at the high school level is grade a nonsense. You can judge Yates on his offer sheet all you want, but rivals moved him from a medium level 3 star to a 4 star, and the highest rated QB from the state of Georgia that year. There aren’t dozens of high school teams in Georgia with better QBs than he was. That is useless hyperbole that only disparages him. We have to be the only fan base that tries to argue one of our highest rated recruits on the team actually couldn’t start for a high school team.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Our QB room still isn’t all that great in general. We certainly still need to improve, but to argue any of them aren’t good enough to play at the high school level is grade a nonsense. You can judge Yates on his offer sheet all you want, but rivals moved him from a medium level 3 star to a 4 star, and the highest rated QB from the state of Georgia that year. There aren’t dozens of high school teams in Georgia with better QBs than he was. That is useless hyperbole that only disparages him. We have to be the only fan base that tries to argue one of our highest rated recruits on the team actually couldn’t start for a high school team.
I literally never said Yates couldn’t play for a high school team. Wth are you talking about? Yates was the state player of the year his senior year, and I would’ve argued with you then that he was more of the “prized jewel” of that 2019 class than Griffin was. But he still only held 1 P5 offer. The original argument was that there were high schools with better QBs than what we had last year. I gave examples of why I thought that was true. Our entire QB room had 4 combined P5 offers. I just listed 6 QBs from the state of Georgia who had more than that individually last year. And there are/were dozens of other HS QBs in Georgia with more than 1 P5 offer. Does that mean that all of those QBs are better than Yates? No, absolutely not. But I’d be willing to wager that a fair amount of those guys would be better than in the current system than Johnson, Oliver, or Graham.

Offer sheets are more important to me personally than star ratings are. Star ratings are completely subjective, offer sheets are not. Just go look in our recruiting threads. There are high 3 stars and low 4 stars with fewer offers from large schools than medium 3 stars, and almost everyone agrees they would rather have the medium 3 star with the better offers. Not always, but offers are generally a much better indication of a player’s ability and potential than a star rating.

Shawn Chappell is a great example. Dude is a 2 star recruit, but has been offered by Herm Edwards at ASU. To me and many others, that holds more weight than if he was a 3 star without that ASU offer.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I literally never said Yates couldn’t play for a high school team. Wth are you talking about? Yates was the state player of the year his senior year, and I would’ve argued with you then that he was more of the “prized jewel” of that 2019 class than Griffin was. But he still only held 1 P5 offer. The original argument was that there were high schools with better QBs than what we had last year. I gave examples of why I thought that was true. Our entire QB room had 4 combined P5 offers. I just listed 6 QBs from the state of Georgia who had more than that individually last year. And there are/were dozens of other HS QBs in Georgia with more than 1 P5 offer. Does that mean that all of those QBs are better than Yates? No, absolutely not. But I’d be willing to wager that a fair amount of those guys would be better than in the current system than Johnson, Oliver, or Graham.

Offer sheets are more important to me personally than star ratings are. Star ratings are completely subjective, offer sheets are not. Just go look in our recruiting threads. There are high 3 stars and low 4 stars with fewer offers from large schools than medium 3 stars, and almost everyone agrees they would rather have the medium 3 star with the better offers. Not always, but offers are generally a much better indication of a player’s ability and potential than a star rating.

Shawn Chappell is a great example. Dude is a 2 star recruit, but has been offered by Herm Edwards at ASU. To me and many others, that holds more weight than if he was a 3 star without that ASU offer.
You claimed that dozens of high school teams just in the state of Georgia had a more talented group of QBs that GT did last year. How is anyone supposed to take that other than Yates could not start for those dozens of teams? Milton probably should have gone with someone else. Not sure why they wasted their time with the guy.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You claimed that dozens of high school teams just in the state of Georgia had a more talented group of QBs that GT did last year. How is anyone supposed to take that other than Yates could not start for those dozens of teams? Milton probably should have gone with someone else. Not sure why they wasted their time with the guy.
We’re clearly on completely different pages about the point I was trying to make, so I’m just going to leave the conversation with this: The 2020 QB room will have 4.5 times as many P5 offers as the 2019 QB room.
If both Sims and Gleason stay for next year, the 2021 QB room will have 7 times as many P5 offers as the 2019 room.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Why do we have to argue about this guys?