Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised with Sims, Yates or Gleason. I hope we can keep Graham in the fold because he is a great talent. Situation just screams position change for him. You can't waste an athlete like that at QB4 or even 3. Free year of eligibility should make him feel better about it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think the free year of eligibility changes things and not in a good way for Yates or Graham. Although it does mean they will have another year of eligibility if they go elsewhere which they likely will. I’ll guess Sims. It will be interesting to see what Sims or Gleason does depending on who loses the battle. We could go from 4 QBs to 1, relying on a true freshman backup for 2021.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In my very uneducated opinion, I don’t understand the love for Sims just based on his athleticism. If he can’t consistently make throws and move the offense, all that athleticism doesn’t push him over Graham as a QB. My guess is Gleason takes the start for consistency and passing game threat but Sims will take a lot of red zone snaps and various packages.

But regardless of who starts, if another QB is effective in various packages, I’d expect the coaches to let the hot hand ride.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
With the abnormal spring and fall camps, I don’t see either of the freshman starting on the road in Tally. Unless they are phenoms, and even then, it is tough to go on the road in your first college game against a talented team.
That leaves Graham or Yates for game one. JG has the game experience, and has faced some good teams before. Yates didn’t have much of a shot, but has the same amount of time in the system. If I had to guess, Yates is the starter, just based off of what I know from his HS days. Kid is a gamer, even if he isn’t 6’4.
fwiw, I don’t agree that them not saying Graham was starter means he isn’t.Collins has stayed tight lipped on any interviews and they aren’t trying to tip their hand.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think the free year of eligibility changes things and not in a good way for Yates or Graham. Although it does mean they will have another year of eligibility if they go elsewhere which they likely will. I’ll guess Sims. It will be interesting to see what Sims or Gleason does depending on who loses the battle. We could go from 4 QBs to 1, relying on a true freshman backup for 2021.
We’re so unaccustomed to having more than 1 QB option I don’t think most of us know what to do. It used to be 80% liked the starter, 20% couldn’t wait for the back up to get a chance, oops After a few games the back up is not all it put the original starter back in, repeat the cycle most years.

Graham has the most experience, Yates is supposedly better than Graham, Sims is physically talented and Gleason allegedly knows the plays & what to do the best. Then we got another fine recruit lined up for next year.

Oh no, GT has options, ironically 3 of them if we don’t like what we start with. :D

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In my very uneducated opinion, I don’t understand the love for Sims just based on his athleticism. If he can’t consistently make throws and move the offense, all that athleticism doesn’t push him over Graham as a QB. My guess is Gleason takes the start for consistency and passing game threat but Sims will take a lot of red zone snaps and various packages.

But regardless of who starts, if another QB is effective in various packages, I’d expect the coaches to let the hot hand ride.
We hardly know anything about three of our guys. What we do know about Sims is that he was the highest rated recruit of the three, and performed well in the elite 11 camps and Under Armour game. He did struggle a bit his Senior year, but so did Gleason. He comes in as one of the more heralded QBs we have had in a long time. The GT twitter feed made a point of showing his play making ability from a scrimmage game. Without any hints from the coaches as to what might be happening in practice that is the best we have to go with.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
[/QUOTE
Can’t imagine all 4 staying no matter what the decision is. Graham perhaps because he can change positions. My guess is Gleason.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

But regardless of who starts, if another QB is eeffective in various packages, I’d expect the coaches to let the hot hand ride.
The love for Sims comes from the thought that he would only win the position if he can make the throws. Best athlete on the field along with the best passer = great for us.
Personally, he must be a stud athlete if he is more athletic than James.
I don’t care who wins. I just know my memory back to Kim King doesn’t recall a QB room with 4 capable guys.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The posts in this thread indicate that nobody actually listens to the coaches. How many times do they have to talk about which QB projects themselves the best by checking calls at the line? "Oh, this guy should start because he's the most athletic and can scramble" is being said about the guy who has the least amount of scrambling on his tape and the coaches are saying that's not what they're looking for anyways.