Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We're still a week out from the answer, but here are my thoughts:

If it's Graham, the staff wants to have as much continuity from last season as possible.

If it's either of the two freshmen, their talent level is probably far better than Graham and just cannot be denied. (I don't expect to see this happen)

If it's Yates, I think Graham is simply not up to the job. Yates would be my last choice for several reasons if all four had a year in the system.

So, I think it will be Graham. He is no fool and knows the younger guys are very talented. He's worked his butt off to stay ahead. That said, I expect to see all four get snaps in the first two games unless someone is injured or ill.

Seems reasonable. Sound thinking and all that. Here is my take. Unless the line gets a whole lot better, it won't matter who the quarterback is. COVID? COVID is a way less hazardous to the health of a Georgia Tech quarterback than being behind that line. The main question is will they be much better than last year? I think they will be better, can't be any worse, but this team simply cannot afford injuries anywhere except maybe running back and defensive back.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see either of the true freshmen starting yet. Freshmen QB's will often try to make the big play when they should throw it away and cause a turnover. They will play this season but not at FSU unless we are getting blown out . JG starts and Yates plays early if things aren't going well.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Opening up with FSU in a partially occupied stadium improves the chances of a freshman getting the start. I believe we will see Gleason start but some packages that feature Sims. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yates is the best QB right now, but I don’t think CDP sees him as the future. I also don’t really think he wants to modify his offensive calls for a shorter QB with the two freshman we have. I also doubt there is much performance difference between the 4 QBs right now.

kalld12

Banned
We're still a week out from the answer, but here are my thoughts:

If it's Graham, the staff wants to have as much continuity from last season as possible.

If it's either of the two freshmen, their talent level is probably far better than Graham and just cannot be denied. (I don't expect to see this happen)

If it's Yates, I think Graham is simply not up to the job. Yates would be my last choice for several reasons if all four had a year in the system.

So, I think it will be Graham. He is no fool and knows the younger guys are very talented. He's worked his butt off to stay ahead. That said, I expect to see all four get snaps in the first two games unless someone is injured or ill.

Agree. They’ve been keeping him hidden on social media for a reason.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
FSU is a big stage on national TV. That's why it is more logical to start JG but Yates is not far away. He had a year of being at ACC games. I don't see either of the freshmen starting. May play some late depending on the score or how well others have performed.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Im rooting for Sims simply b/c I have less faith in our coaching staff’s ability to coach up superior talent if they elect to play Graham - someone who couldn’t hit an intermediate pass.

CDP has said multiple times that he likes bigger bodies - I have never heard / seen anything to indicate Yates has the raw skills the staff want.

Sims’ HS film showed someone who can step up in the pocket. The feedback in spring was that he wasn’t as good but has since stepped up in fall camp. They’ve talked about his desire to work / improve. That mindset is very encouraging to along with a talented arm and set of legs.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
JT was a perfect option QB, which is what we recruited under the last regime. Gleason and Sims are more prototypical for what we want to do on offense.

He didn’t have any and that’s why he came to GT. Lol. Memo. This isn’t a triple option team anymore.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Im rooting for Sims simply b/c I have less faith in our coaching staff’s ability to coach up superior talent if they elect to play Graham - someone who couldn’t hit an intermediate pass.

CDP has said multiple times that he likes bigger bodies - I have never heard / seen anything to indicate Yates has the raw skills the staff want.

Sims’ HS film showed someone who can step up in the pocket. The feedback in spring was that he wasn’t as good but has since stepped up in fall camp. They’ve talked about his desire to work / improve. That mindset is very encouraging to along with a talented arm and set of legs.
I agree he should start, feel like with his size and his arm and speed that he would thrive in this offense

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've thought it was going to be Graham all off-season. Last year he was having to work from far behind the 8-ball. But I thought he showed flashes of enough talent to be a decent QB with more experience and fewer head winds.

However, while I have no direct information, the rumors and whisperings I've picked up have led me to believe that one (or both) of the Freshmen out-efforted him in the offseason and have more natural ability. I don't want that to be read as disparaging JG, I think he's a great athlete. But I think there was a legit QB competition and the younger guys might have been hungrier and a better fit for the offense. Thus, I've changed my prediction of starting QB to Gleason.

I think all four will get snaps in the first two games. But I think the Gleason/Sims show starts airing next week, with the producers planning a 3-5 season story arc.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Watching Sims' film, he went through his progressions maybe twice and consistently was late. Those are two things he could get away with in HS that he can't get away with in college. He's been on campus since January, so I'm hoping the coaches worked hard with him on both those things. I'm rooting for the best guy to get the job, regardless. I'm optimistic about whoever wins the job.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What are the 4 things Coach P said he was looking for?
Knowing the playbook
Handle the offense
Make all the throws
Ability to run
Trying to remember off the top of my head???

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
What are the 4 things Coach P said he was looking for?
Knowing the playbook
Handle the offense
Make all the throws
Ability to run
Trying to remember off the top of my head???
If our OL doesn't improve from last year he might want to move "Ability to run" up the list LOL. Granted we had a lot of injuries to our OL last year, but still.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know who is going to start but I have hope for Graham. He definitely had some moments last year through the air and with his feet. If we can get some better blocking and he can be more consistent he could be a baller.

I'm sure the mechanics on this throw aren't the best but he steps up into that pocket and makes a play
1599330687925.png

https://gph.is/g/aK8gdne

Hope we still see the QB run game in the offense
1599330130591.png

https://gph.is/g/4LNz3r0

1599330253701.png

https://gph.is/g/a9W5kOA

And he could make some intermediate throws

1599330192850.png

https://gph.is/g/ZP7wPnp

1599330283131.png

https://gph.is/g/EJNdPJj

And of course his long ball and chemistry with Brown was pretty great. If they can build on that...
1599330392523.png

https://gph.is/g/Z8n5MwA

1599330426282.png

https://gph.is/g/ajydB8G

I just really want to watch some Tech football next weekend

Edit: Shucks, can't seem to copy/paste gifs like I used to. Links added

Attachments

• 1599330041644.png
    1599330041644.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The question everybody who wants the staff to “stick to one guy” has to ask themselves is: How long do you let a starter struggle before you go to the next guy? Now obviously the best situation would be the guy that starts the game in Tallahassee will produce, and will help Tech win games. But what if that isn’t the case? How many opportunities do you give any of these guys if they struggle? I guarantee there will be at least a few of those “stick to one guy” fans who will be ready to jump ship after the first bad quarter the starter plays.

So, if you want the staff to stick to one guy, what if that guy throws 2 picks on his first 3 drives and fumbles a snap on the 3rd? You leave him in? What if he’s 3-11 after the first quarter with a couple picks and some awful throws? Do you ride him out for the entire game? The next game? The whole year?

I think it’s fairly obvious that Graham isn’t the guy. So that means the only guy with FBS experience is Yates, although his experience is very limited. Nobody really knows what Sims or Gleason have done in camp, and there was no spring game to see them in action. Ideally I’d like to see them finish the year with “the guy” at the helm, but I don’t know how realistic it is to pick “the guy” early in the season. I think all 3 of them need to see pretty significant minutes to make that decision, unless of course one of them separates themselves as the leader, or the obvious 3rd string.

IMO, the best strategy for starting the year at QB is to run Yates (or plug Sims or Gleason in to your choosing, but I would prefer at least some limited experience) out to start the FSU game and see how he does for 3-4 drives. If we move the ball and score points leave him in. If we struggle or he turns the ball over, rotate the next guy in. I think all 3 of them should get 3-4 drives to prove themselves and then we go from there. Some of you would hate that, and it’s understandable, but we really have no idea what we have at QB right now. I’d at least like to see them all. But I also trust that the staff knows what their order is, and who the best among them is.

I haven't read all nine pages of this thread so may be repeating this but the great Bobby Dodd often played muliple QB's. In 1953 Wade Michell and Pepper Rodgers shared equal time with each throwing 80 some passs and Billy Brigman played a good bit. So, if they are all talented, I see nothing wrong with subbing them just the same as running backs or recievers.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Opening up with FSU in a partially occupied stadium improves the chances of a freshman getting the start. I believe we will see Gleason start but some packages that feature Sims. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yates is the best QB right now, but I don’t think CDP sees him as the future. I also don’t really think he wants to modify his offensive calls for a shorter QB with the two freshman we have. I also doubt there is much performance difference between the 4 QBs right now.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I have thought this for a while. I'm almost positive Yates knows the offense the best, but P doesn't want to adjust for a guy he figures is always a backup (which I think is wrong and I hate it for Yates). I can see Gleason starting simply because he seems to be the 2nd most cerebral behind Yates, but has the measurables.

Sims will get his time to shine, but we cannot make it obvious. Two plays I HATE.
1. WILDCAT. The whole team knows whats coming. Terrible play.
2. Specifically using 1 QB for passing and 1 for Running/option.

If you have to use 2 QBs for different types of plays it usually means your main QB or RB is getting it done. That or your Oline.
If we pick Gleason then I hope we ride him every drive for 10 games. Don't mix in Sims for running plays and crap like that. Teams will stack the box.

What you do is you use Gleason and make people think Sims is the "running QB" and have him dice up the secondary as they will more than likely press and send a blitz. If you're going to use both.

I'm sure Graham is the most comfortable with the WRs and play nuisances.
Yates probably knows the plays the best top to bottom.
Sims is probably the most athletic and has the best "playmaking" skills.
Gleason is probably the best overall QB for a normal system when it comes to making the right throws. More of a chain mover.