Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My prediction is that whoever starts against FSU doesn't finish. Could be for several reasons, e.g. poor performance, winning big, losing big, OC trying to find "the guy". P-naude history is to try several guys to find his starter. Last year was a process of elimination.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to add to the argument, but he should have a decent idea of #1 and #2 right now. If they are close, and he needs to see them in game time experience, I am good with that for a few games. But, at some point (other than specialty situations), he needs to settle on a starting QB, and unless that person gets injured, stick with him. If he ends up shuffling through 4 of them, that means he is searching for an identity like it appeared he did all last year. (P-nut that is)

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know where Sims can’t throw came from cause that’s far from the truth from what I’ve read. He’s both electric with his arm as well as his legs. He’s neck on neck with Gleason in running the offense with Gleason being slightly ahead and more sound. Gleason may start but Sims will get in the game & visa versa.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to add to the argument, but he should have a decent idea of #1 and #2 right now. If they are close, and he needs to see them in game time experience, I am good with that for a few games. But, at some point (other than specialty situations), he needs to settle on a starting QB, and unless that person gets injured, stick with him. If he ends up shuffling through 4 of them, that means he is searching for an identity like it appeared he did all last year. (P-nut that is)
He has said that’s what he wants as well. It’s what EVERY coach wants. It when you can’t do it you do what you have to

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know where Sims can’t throw came from cause that’s far from the truth from what I’ve read. He’s both electric with his arm as well as his legs. He’s neck on neck with Gleason in running the offense with Gleason being slightly ahead and more sound. Gleason may start but Sims will get in the game & visa versa.
Who said Sims can’t throw?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You either are uneducated or being willfully ignorant for some reason. This has been debated ad nauseum on here that Friedgen had significant success at the P5 level prior to coming to GT. P’nut has none. I hope the light comes on for him because I hate the program wasting years while someone tries to take the training wheels off, but to suggest P’nut’s professional resume prior to coming to GT is anywhere near what Friedgen’s was is laughable. The man gets paid to coach. What we saw last year was not evidence of him being able to coach. It’s only 1 data point but it’s all we got because he has zero relevant experience despite significant tenure in the coaching ranks. That may mean nothing but it may mean everything.

By the way I’m not buying the “this year doesn’t count either” narrative that’s beginning to get legs. Every game counts.
Comparing his background to the Fridge is ignorant. But making some determination on CDP given the changes CGC decided to make and what he had to work with is as well.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has said that’s what he wants as well. It’s what EVERY coach wants. It when you can’t do it you do what you have to

That is fine, NC, and I do realize he was limited last year with the talent for "whatever" his system is, but I am not putting up with excuses this year for that. He better have someone, and he needs to stick with that guy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you went a little too far with your hyperbole. We've had good QB's for what we did. We now have good QB's for what we plan to do.
You honestly believe Taquon was a good QB for what we did at that time? If you would have said Tobias maybe I’d agree but Tobias was a ball hog in an option system. And last year we didn’t have ANY QB who was good for what we did.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I still say if we take this year as a scrimmage we pick the wrong guy. You put players on the field to win and try and win every time or you are not being fair to the players and fans that pay money for tickets. And yes you earn a job at practice why do you think they practice.
I think teams still try to win scrimmage games but it’s not priority. And jobs are not won or lost in practic. They are earned by in game play. If Gleason is the starter because he has “earned it in practice” over a month that will last about as long as he misses a wide open slant route on 3rd and 4 in a game. Practice is practic, but any coach worth his salt will tell you games are what count. Collins goal and mindset for the next 3 months is to identify the right players thru game play to plug enough holes so with his next class he’s ready to actually compete for an ACC title in 1 year. Finding a legit P5 QB and Linemen are what 2020 is all about. Our other position groups are pretty solid outside of kicker.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
That is fine, NC, and I do realize he was limited last year with the talent for "whatever" his system is, but I am not putting up with excuses this year for that. He better have someone, and he needs to stick with that guy.
Unless that guy can’t hack it when the bright lights come on I suppose?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Unless that guy can’t hack it when the bright lights come on I suppose?

We are on the same page, NC, because that is why I said he could rotate a couple of guys the first few games to make sure of the correct #1 decision. But, if he is still doing that (not b/c of injuries) after about game 3, it is his problem and his system, and in my opinion, not the QB's.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My prediction is that whoever starts against FSU doesn't finish. Could be for several reasons, e.g. poor performance, winning big, losing big, OC trying to find "the guy". P-naude history is to try several guys to find his starter. Last year was a process of elimination.

Could be heat exhaustion from running for his life.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We're still a week out from the answer, but here are my thoughts:

If it's Graham, the staff wants to have as much continuity from last season as possible.

If it's either of the two freshmen, their talent level is probably far better than Graham and just cannot be denied. (I don't expect to see this happen)

If it's Yates, I think Graham is simply not up to the job. Yates would be my last choice for several reasons if all four had a year in the system.

So, I think it will be Graham. He is no fool and knows the younger guys are very talented. He's worked his butt off to stay ahead. That said, I expect to see all four get snaps in the first two games unless someone is injured or ill.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I think it will be Graham. He is no fool and knows the younger guys are very talented. He's worked his butt off to stay ahead. That said, I expect to see all four get snaps in the first two games unless someone is injured or ill.
Agreed. I am expecting Graham to start for the first half of the game, and then CDP will put in one of the other guys in the second half and swap between them.