Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
You may be right, but how do you know he is the 2nd most cerebral?
From the interviews with coach P and several others have said he has been involved with the offense since high school. His HS coach worked with him on some college level drills and breakdown of the game.

Deleted member 2897

If you take 4 guys and split reps with the starters your inexperienced QB only gets 1/4 the amount of time to develop as the normal practice competition. You start off inexperienced, then you do that and what do you expect in the game? You end up with 4 slightly ready guys which equals no guy. You end up with P’nut’s mess from last year.

The back ups need to be practicing with 2nd string.

CGC needs to pick a horse to ride, not switch horses every 5 mins. We saw how that worked out last year. He gets paid to make the hard decisions if his OC does not know what to do. In this case it’s pretty clear, pick your best QB and get him practice and game experience now.

Honestly last year to me it seemed like PNut refused to share the playbook with our team and most of the time they didn’t know what the plays were.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
If our OL doesn't improve from last year he might want to move "Ability to run" up the list LOL. Granted we had a lot of injuries to our OL last year, but still.
Given the fact that we have more help this year in the form of returning player who was injured last year, a transfer who will be a starter, and a true freshman who will most likely start at Tackle —our OL will most certainly be different, and almost definitely better.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard from a friend who works for the football team that it’ll be Yates with Gleason getting some time as well. Was unsure about JG and sounds like Sims is doing ok but is behind Yates/Gleason
FWIW I’ve been hearing it’s Gleason but that’s from second hand sources.

I was bored so I went back and looked at the TDs posted on twitter during camp and the breakdown looks like this:
Yates: 12 (6 first team)
Gleason: 8 (4 first team)
Sims: 9 (6 first team)
Graham: 6 (2 first team)

This obviously doesn’t tell the whole story and they might not have posted every TD but based only on this, the depth chart looks to be Yates, Gleason/Sims, Graham.

I expect them to take the same approach as last year. Rotate 2-3 guys until they find the best one. It doesn’t seem like there is a lot of separation but the freshmen probably have the most upside long term. I just hope we don’t rotate guys mid drive and kill any momentum/chemistry.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW I’ve been hearing it’s Gleason but that’s from second hand sources.

I was bored so I went back and looked at the TDs posted on twitter during camp and the breakdown looks like this:
Yates: 12 (6 first team)
Gleason: 8 (4 first team)
Sims: 9 (6 first team)
Graham: 6 (2 first team)

This obviously doesn’t tell the whole story and they might not have posted every TD but based only on this, the depth chart looks to be Yates, Gleason/Sims, Graham.

I expect them to take the same approach as last year. Rotate 2-3 guys until they find the best one. It doesn’t seem like there is a lot of separation but the freshmen probably have the most upside long term. I just hope we don’t rotate guys mid drive and kill any momentum/chemistry.
It might just be me but Yates reminds me of Russell Wilson so I don't hate it

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that makes sense, go with the guy who has been in the system the longest in Yates, and if the younger guys who might be more talented catch up in practice and in games they should play

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard from a friend who works for the football team that it’ll be Yates with Gleason getting some time as well. Was unsure about JG and sounds like Sims is doing ok but is behind Yates/Gleason

Tracks with what I've gathered (third-ish hand). Yates may start due to having some experience and the effort he's put to learn the offense, etc. But that Gleason is the top performing guy at the moment.

Heck, this might all be a misinformation campaign orchestrated by 'Morpheus'. Tobias Oliver might come out to run the flexbone for all I know.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point unfortunately, the coaches have nothing to gain by announcing the starter publicly. Last year we went with the safe choice at QB for the first game, and then 2 or 3 games later Tobias was no longer a QB. If we don’t think JG or Yates is the right guy, they need to move on and give a freshman a shot. I honestly don’t think there is going to be a huge performance difference between the 4 QBs due to their youth, but that is a vast improvement over last year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I decided to look back at 2019 and recap the QB rotation. Oliver started the Clemson game and Graham came in later. Johnson barely played.

Johnson started the next week against USF and played most of the game. Graham and Oliver both played a little.

Johnson started against The Citadel and alternated with Oliver for most of the game. Graham did not play(???). Johnson was injured.

Against Temple Oliver started and was a disaster. Graham came in late in 1st half.

Graham stated the rest of the season. Why? Johnson was injured and Oliver's skills did not fit the offense going forward.

What that says to me is that Graham was always the #3 choice behind Oliver and Johnson. Johnson's injuries ruined his chances and Oliver, a great athlete, was just not suited to be QB in this system. I am beginning to come around to the idea that Coach P doesn't really have a ton of confidence in Graham. I wonder why Yates did not play more as a freshman. Were they saving his eligibility? Or was he just not ready to play? Probably some of both. Once they committed to Graham, only he and Yates played (save a brief appearance by Johnson in the Pitt game, his last snap as a Jacket). The staff certainly wants something Graham did not offer. Did Yates have it? If so, why recruit two vastly different skill sets in Sims and Gleason.

This is mostly me just trying to think through the question. I am not making a prediction at this point. For those nitpickers who will scroll back and find my prediction, I am withdrawing it. I have no frigging idea.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I decided to look back at 2019 and recap the QB rotation. Oliver started and Graham came in later. Johnson barely played.

Johnson started the next week against USF and played most of the game. Graham and Oliver both played a little.

Johnson started against The Citadel and alternated with Oliver for most of the game. Graham did not play(???). Johnson was injured.

Against Temple Oliver started and was a disaster. Graham came in late in 1st half.
I believe Graham was supposed to start in the Citadel game but his ankle was injured which is why he did not, and that is why he struggled against Temple because he wasn't 100%. Johnson was good in practice but in actual games looked like a deer in headlights, the pressure looked like it got to him.

I definitely think they wanted to give every guy a chance to see who would win, but Graham got his chance late because of his injury. I do agree though that I don't think Graham is the guy they want to go with in the end.

slugboy

Staff member
We’ll know in 6 days. The suspense is killing me.
Calls for the classic WW gif

So, from some of the other posts from other people: You can get some ideas from practice based on who is getting the reps and where they get them, but it’s not unheard of for a player to find out that they’re starting the morning of the game or the day before. With a week left, coaches can change their minds. If any player has a blowout week of practice—WR, OL, LB, whoever—coaches will sit up and take note and possibly swap out a starter or two.
I’m sure the players and grad assistants and staff all have a guess who’ll start, and might feel really sure, but unless Patenaude or Collins has pulled them aside to tell them, I’d bet the players are wondering themselves. I’m sure they all think they’ve shown enough to start.
Coaches don’t usually like to change their minds, but they will.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I decided to look back at 2019 and recap the QB rotation. Oliver started the Clemson game and Graham came in later. Johnson barely played.

Graham stated the rest of the season. Why? Johnson was injured and Oliver's skills did not fit the offense going forward.

What that says to me is that Graham was always the #3 choice behind Oliver and Johnson. Johnson's injuries ruined his chances and Oliver, a great athlete, was just not suited to be QB in this system. I am beginning to come around to the idea that Coach P doesn't really have a ton of confidence in Graham. I wonder why Yates did not play more as a freshman. Were they saving his eligibility? Or was he just not ready to play? Probably some of both. Once they committed to Graham, only he and Yates played (save a brief appearance by Johnson in the Pitt game, his last snap as a Jacket). The staff certainly wants something Graham did not offer. Did Yates have it? If so, why recruit two vastly different skill sets in Sims and Gleason.

This is mostly me just trying to think through the question. I am not making a prediction at this point. For those nitpickers who will scroll back and find my prediction, I am withdrawing it. I have no frigging idea.

Thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten exactly how each of those early games shook out and totally forgotten that Graham had a banged up ankle against the Citadel.

I do want to share this because I think it’s good to understand that while the jury is still out on Coach Patenaude and some of QB roulette last year seemed random and clueless, I was told by a source close to the program early last summer (and I shared it on here) that the coaches liked James Graham best but he was not ready. They knew they wanted to ride with Graham most of the season but wanted to bring him along slow. It was also clearly stated by the coaches following the Clemson game that they went with Oliver because they wanted to protect the offensive line that was still developing and not ready to pass protect against Clemson’s pass rush.

All of that tells me that the coaches knew that Graham would be the guy and that’s how it played out. It wasn’t some random decision they made after the Temple game. I’m also deducing this, but that tells me that Oliver didn’t win the competition in Fall camp, he simply was the best athlete and the best at doing what they felt they were capable of early in the season.

I think it’s important to view last year through that lens. That our coaches had more of a plan than many of us try to say.