Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Honestly nobody knows who is gonna be qb against Florida state, i would like to see sims since he has a amazing running ability and that would be important with our o line versus FSU’s star defensive line versus Gleason has the better arm but he can’t run as good as sims

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m starting to think that no one has really risen above the fold and that we will see a interchanging series the first 3 games until someone consistently performs in games or is somewhat serviceable.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Sims was as much flipped from FSU, as I think Sims didn’t fit what Mike Norvell wanted as a QB. Sims decommitted a day or two after meeting with Mike Norvell.

Sims was pretty up front about it when interviewed. He also said that he really appreciated Norvell’s honesty on it and was complimentary to Norvell. He handled it in a more mature way than many 18 year olds handle situations.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to think that no one has really risen above the fold and that we will see a interchanging series the first 3 games until someone consistently performs in games or is somewhat serviceable.
Agreed. I think we see the same issues as last year and don't hit a stride until the BC or Pitt game.
Still believe we are a 4 win team. BC, Pitt, Duke, NC State. Swap syracuse with any of these teams.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At some point you have to make a decision and go with it. Otherwise it starts looking like lack of confidence in your own decision making. I can see first game or two to decide who can play and lead the team but after that it's time to go with who you think can win with this team now and in the future. Injuries change the entire process.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At some point you have to make a decision and go with it. Otherwise it starts looking like lack of confidence in your own decision making. I can see first game or two to decide who can play and lead the team but after that it's time to go with who you think can win with this team now and in the future. Injuries change the entire process.
The discussion we are having in this thread in no way indicates the staff has not made a decision. We are merely trying to logic (the verb usage) how the decision was made.

Edit: The staff may also have decided to try several QBs to see how they react to live competition. I do not see this as being indecisive.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The discussion we are having in this thread in no way indicates the staff has not made a decision. We are merely trying to logic (the verb usage) how the decision was made.

Edit: The staff may also have decided to try several QBs to see how they react to live competition. I do not see this as being indecisive.
I said the first game or two.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
How can any player rise above others when we haven’t played a game yet? And please don’t give me the “he‘s been better in practice” line. No one cares how good a player looks in practice. I want a QB who can get it done in actual games. All 4 will play because that’s the only measuring stick that matters.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
How can any player rise above others when we haven’t played a game yet? And please don’t give me the “he‘s been better in practice” line. No one cares how good a player looks in practice. I want a QB who can get it done in actual games. All 4 will play because that’s the only measuring stick that matters.
I think the coaches know what they want to do and now just need to see how they handle the game situation. I do not expect to see 4 play. I doubt 3 do.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you’re probably right but I think all 4 will play at some point during the season just due to circumstances whether it’s injuries, Covid, or throwing a 70 yarder Hail Mary before halftime or a 4th and 1 and we need a sneak. Heck, I bet we see a wildcat package for Gibbs which would make it 5.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, Johnson last year looked really good in practice and everyone said he would be the guy, but every time he came in to play in a game he looked like a deer in some headlights and looked scared for his life. I want the guy who comes in and works under pressure and doesn't let it get to him to start and be the QB of the future.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly, Johnson last year looked really good in practice and everyone said he would be the guy, but every time he came in to play in a game he looked like a deer in some headlights and looked scared for his life. I want the guy who comes in and works under pressure and doesn't let it get to him to start and be the QB of the future.

how much of that was the OL sucking and having to run for your life? be interesting to see how he plays with San Diego State if they are playing this year (I have no idea)

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
how much of that was the OL sucking and having to run for your life? be interesting to see how he plays with San Diego State if they are playing this year (I have no idea)
As far as I am aware they aren't playing because their conference chose to opt out. However, Oliver and Graham dealt with the same O-line as Johnson and neither looked like they were scared, in fact I would say Graham did a hell of a job with what he had to work with for being so young.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That would be a big fat NO. Left coasters are still sucking their thumbs in quarantine, sweating their balls off because they didn’t plan for population growth & have a massive Brown out or running from their gender reveal fire.

Deleted member 2897

QB options in 2019:
  1. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Had thrown ZERO passes prior to 2019.
  2. 3 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. Played in a run first, option based offense in high school, was recruited to play in the 3O. Completed 7 out of 16 passes prior to 2019
  3. 4 star athlete with GT being the only P5 to offer him a spot as a QB. Was unable to participate in spring practice, and had never played in a game before
  4. 3/4 star with GT being the only P5 to offer. True freshman
Please don’t act like there was some hidden talent at the QB position that wasn’t revealed last year. All 4 of the available QBs combined to go 7-16 total on passes, and the only one recruited for the new system was a true freshman who held one P5 offer. There were literally dozens of high schools in Georgia alone who had more talent at QB last year than what Tech had.

You left off the QB with the highest accuracy - Pressley Harvin.