Starting QB next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gonna be interesting if LJ lights it up next year in a new offense. Then you have to wonder...

People forget how much of an actual DUAL threat QB he was in HS:

http://ramblinwreck.com/roster/lucas-johnson/

High School: Totaled 3,737 yards (2,571 passing, 1,166 rushing) and 40 touchdowns (26 passing, 14 rushing) as a senior, en route to first-team all-California Interscholastic Federation honors … Powered Mount Carmel H.S. (coach John Anderson) to a 9-4 record as a senior and an appearance in the 2015 CIF Division II state championship game, the school’s first title-game appearance in 30 years … In addition to first-team all-state recognition, was also a first-team all-region honoree and the Palomar League MVP as a senior … Was starting quarterback for North squad in 2016 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl in Tampa … Amassed 2,104 total yards (1,456 passing, 648 rushing) and 25 touchdowns (13 passing, 12 rushing) as a junior … Three-time first-team all-conference honoree Holds virtually every school record for a passer, including passing yards, touchdown passes and completion percentage … Three-year team captain … Was also a four-year letterwinner and three-year team captain as a shooting guard in basketball … Two-year letterwinner and one-year team captain as a sprinter in track and field

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gonna be interesting if LJ lights it up next year in a new offense. Then you have to wonder...

High School: Totaled 3,737 yards (2,571 passing, 1,166 rushing) and 40 touchdowns (26 passing, 14 rushing) as a senior, en route to first-team all-California Interscholastic Federation honors … Powered Mount Carmel H.S. (coach John Anderson) to a 9-4 record as a senior and an appearance in the 2015 CIF Division II state championship game, the school’s first title-game appearance in 30 years … In addition to first-team all-state recognition, was also a first-team all-region honoree and the Palomar League MVP as a senior … Was starting quarterback for North squad in 2016 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl in Tampa … Amassed 2,104 total yards (1,456 passing, 648 rushing) and 25 touchdowns (13 passing, 12 rushing) as a junior … Three-time first-team all-conference honoree Holds virtually every school record for a passer, including passing yards, touchdown passes and completion percentage … Three-year team captain … Was also a four-year letterwinner and three-year team captain as a shooting guard in basketball … Two-year letterwinner and one-year team captain as a sprinter in track and field

I really thought he would end up being our QB this year for CPJ, but unfortunately he got hurt.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

That is why i was disappointed that he got hurt this year. I think the plan was to get him some serious playing this year. I think the year would have a bit better if he had played. An extra two or three wins I think would have been possible.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That is why i was disappointed that he got hurt this year. I think the plan was to get him some serious playing this year. I think the year would have a bit better if he had played. An extra two or three wins I think would have been possible.

Yup. A true dual threat QB that bought into CPJ's offense. We saw flashes in spring games of what he could do. More snaps and his game could have looked a lot better. What ifs man...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'd say Graham and Yates with perhaps Yates rsing. Johnson as back up. I have a hard time believing we'd go with Johnson as the starter considering we'll be running a new system, he only has 2 years of eligibility, and is coming off a season ending injury. Not out of the question but lots of things against it.
I mean technically he has two years of eligibility as of this moment, but everyone knows he's going to get a medical redshirt for this past year - giving him three more years.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be nice to snag a Junior College QB;)

Logan Byrd at Arizona Western JUCO (same program that UVa's QB was at last year) will have two years eligibility left after he completes his A.S. this month. He is a big kid 6-3, 230. Good arm, andhas capability to get yards with his feet.

Played H.S. ball at Veterans HS in Houston County. (Also the home of Tobias Oliver & Jake Fromm). Redshirt and RS-Freshman seasons spent at UNC before transferring to the JUCO.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Logan Byrd at Arizona Western JUCO (same program that UVa's QB was at last year) will have two years eligibility left after he completes his A.S. this month. He is a big kid 6-3, 230. Good arm, andhas capability to get yards with his feet.

Played H.S. ball at Veterans HS in Houston County. (Also the home of Tobias Oliver & Jake Fromm). Redshirt and RS-Freshman seasons spent at UNC before transferring to the JUCO.

Very, and I can't emphasize "very" enough, few JUCO transfers (or transfers in general) can get admission from the Hill. It can happen, but it is not a very likely occurrence.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This probably isn't the right thread, but I've seen us wondering who on our roster could be a potential Tight End. The average Power 5 Tight End is 6'4 230, and while you can definitely have a shorter or lighter TE, the position itself inherently requires a player to be a certain size (unlike QB, WR, RB). Outside of OL/DL/K/P, the only players on the roster who are currently at least 6'2 and 205 lb are below.

Note that 6'2 205 are my arbitrary minimum thresholds considering a player could put on 10 lb or so this offseason with a position change, as well as the high probability that if they are listed at 205 lb they're probably actually 200 lb or less. Their listed year is as of 2019 not 2018.

1.) Stephen Dolphus (RS Junior WR) - 6'5 205
2.) Kaleb Oliver (Redshirt Sophomore DB) - 6'4 205
3.) Peje' Harris (RS Freshman WR) - 6'3 215
4.) Lucas Johnson (RS Junior QB but will get a medical redshirt giving him three more years of eligibility) - 6'3 210
5.) Jordan Domineck (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 220
6.) Olin Broadway (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 217
7.) Jalen Camp (Senior WR) - 6'2 217
8.) David Curry (RS Senior LB but will get a medical redshirt giving him two more years of eligibility) - 6'2 217
9.) Tyler Cooksey (RS Senior LB) - 6'2 232
10.) Christian Campbell (RS Senior DB) - 6'2 208
11.) Tarik Carpenter (Junior DB) - 6'2 218
12.) Josh Tukes (RS Sophomore LB) - 6'6 215

I think it's safe to say we can eliminate Johnson, Curry, Cooksey, and Carpenter right off the bat. I've seen Camp's name floating around as a potential option, but I'd be worried about moving our only WR with significant playing time (who will also be our only Senior WR) unless we can get a proven graduate transfer WR. Also, to be honest he hasn't shown me enough physicality at WR to make me think he'd be a serviceable Tight End.

I'd also eliminate Oliver because he showed some flashes at DB this year, and Campbell because he's switched positions too many times already and likely would want to stay where he's comfortable for his last season. I have no idea about the Linebackers, if any of them played offense in high school or their level of athleticism since I haven't seen them play. To me the only potential options are Dolphus and Harris, and I haven't seen them play either. Unless someone really surprises, I don't see anyone currently on the roster we can count on for this position. CGC mentioned in his press conference that he already had some TE's contacting him, and imo the biggest selling point to any graduate TE transfer in the nation with any solid playing time would be that they will walk in the door and be the starting TE from Day 1.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I hope Coach Collins and his staff talk with him,he sounds like a potentially great quarterback:)(y)

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Lucas is going to miss spring practice so I would say it will put him behind. Right now I'd say Graham
I'd say Graham and Yates with perhaps Yates rsing. Johnson as back up. I have a hard time believing we'd go with Johnson as the starter considering we'll be running a new system, he only has 2 years of eligibility, and is coming off a season ending injury. Not out of the question but lots of things against it.
Lucas has 3 years...he has a medical year

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Lucas has 3 years...he has a medical year

The problem isn't with the number of eligible years, it's with the number of years to play them. He can have 100 years of eligibility but the 4 in 5 rule still applies unless he gets an extension which isn't guaranteed.