Starting QB next year.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
This probably isn't the right thread, but I've seen us wondering who on our roster could be a potential Tight End. The average Power 5 Tight End is 6'4 230, and while you can definitely have a shorter or lighter TE, the position itself inherently requires a player to be a certain size (unlike QB, WR, RB). Outside of OL/DL/K/P, the only players on the roster who are currently at least 6'2 and 205 lb are below.

Note that 6'2 205 are my arbitrary minimum thresholds considering a player could put on 10 lb or so this offseason with a position change, as well as the high probability that if they are listed at 205 lb they're probably actually 200 lb or less. Their listed year is as of 2019 not 2018.

1.) Stephen Dolphus (RS Junior WR) - 6'5 205
2.) Kaleb Oliver (Redshirt Sophomore DB) - 6'4 205
3.) Peje' Harris (RS Freshman WR) - 6'3 215
4.) Lucas Johnson (RS Junior QB but will get a medical redshirt giving him three more years of eligibility) - 6'3 210
5.) Jordan Domineck (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 220
6.) Olin Broadway (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 217
7.) Jalen Camp (Senior WR) - 6'2 217
8.) David Curry (RS Senior LB but will get a medical redshirt giving him two more years of eligibility) - 6'2 217
9.) Tyler Cooksey (RS Senior LB) - 6'2 232
10.) Christian Campbell (RS Senior DB) - 6'2 208
11.) Tarik Carpenter (Junior DB) - 6'2 218
12.) Josh Tukes (RS Sophomore LB) - 6'6 215

I think it's safe to say we can eliminate Johnson, Curry, Cooksey, and Carpenter right off the bat. I've seen Camp's name floating around as a potential option, but I'd be worried about moving our only WR with significant playing time (who will also be our only Senior WR) unless we can get a proven graduate transfer WR. Also, to be honest he hasn't shown me enough physicality at WR to make me think he'd be a serviceable Tight End.

I'd also eliminate Oliver because he showed some flashes at DB this year, and Campbell because he's switched positions too many times already and likely would want to stay where he's comfortable for his last season. I have no idea about the Linebackers, if any of them played offense in high school or their level of athleticism since I haven't seen them play. To me the only potential options are Dolphus and Harris, and I haven't seen them play either. Unless someone really surprises, I don't see anyone currently on the roster we can count on for this position. CGC mentioned in his press conference that he already had some TE's contacting him, and imo the biggest selling point to any graduate TE transfer in the nation with any solid playing time would be that they will walk in the door and be the starting TE from Day 1.
I could see Luke Johns at TE if he has decent hands.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Excited to see the qb battle in the Spring/Fall. I think all of our quarterbacks are athletic, but none of them had big time offers as quarterbacks (same for our ‘19 commits) so I’d like to see another signee in this class or a transfer. It’s hard to look at our current group and say who it will be, especially not knowing the type of offense we’ll use next year. I do think Tobias will probably end up at receiver.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
This probably isn't the right thread, but I've seen us wondering who on our roster could be a potential Tight End. The average Power 5 Tight End is 6'4 230, and while you can definitely have a shorter or lighter TE, the position itself inherently requires a player to be a certain size (unlike QB, WR, RB). Outside of OL/DL/K/P, the only players on the roster who are currently at least 6'2 and 205 lb are below.

Note that 6'2 205 are my arbitrary minimum thresholds considering a player could put on 10 lb or so this offseason with a position change, as well as the high probability that if they are listed at 205 lb they're probably actually 200 lb or less. Their listed year is as of 2019 not 2018.

1.) Stephen Dolphus (RS Junior WR) - 6'5 205
2.) Kaleb Oliver (Redshirt Sophomore DB) - 6'4 205
3.) Peje' Harris (RS Freshman WR) - 6'3 215
4.) Lucas Johnson (RS Junior QB but will get a medical redshirt giving him three more years of eligibility) - 6'3 210
5.) Jordan Domineck (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 220
6.) Olin Broadway (Redshirt Freshman LB) - 6'3 217
7.) Jalen Camp (Senior WR) - 6'2 217
8.) David Curry (RS Senior LB but will get a medical redshirt giving him two more years of eligibility) - 6'2 217
9.) Tyler Cooksey (RS Senior LB) - 6'2 232
10.) Christian Campbell (RS Senior DB) - 6'2 208
11.) Tarik Carpenter (Junior DB) - 6'2 218
12.) Josh Tukes (RS Sophomore LB) - 6'6 215

I think it's safe to say we can eliminate Johnson, Curry, Cooksey, and Carpenter right off the bat. I've seen Camp's name floating around as a potential option, but I'd be worried about moving our only WR with significant playing time (who will also be our only Senior WR) unless we can get a proven graduate transfer WR. Also, to be honest he hasn't shown me enough physicality at WR to make me think he'd be a serviceable Tight End.

I'd also eliminate Oliver because he showed some flashes at DB this year, and Campbell because he's switched positions too many times already and likely would want to stay where he's comfortable for his last season. I have no idea about the Linebackers, if any of them played offense in high school or their level of athleticism since I haven't seen them play. To me the only potential options are Dolphus and Harris, and I haven't seen them play either. Unless someone really surprises, I don't see anyone currently on the roster we can count on for this position. CGC mentioned in his press conference that he already had some TE's contacting him, and imo the biggest selling point to any graduate TE transfer in the nation with any solid playing time would be that they will walk in the door and be the starting TE from Day 1.

Tackles and ends are more likely to shift to TE than WRs and LBs in my opinion - especially if we're moving to a pro-style that will be more run than pass (which seems likely given our current roster.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I don't get the No to Oliver here. He is bigger and taller than Graham or LJ and he led the state in passing his senior year. Don't start getting the idea we are headed for the air raid. I expect coach to keep base elements of the triple option and spread option. He is not married to any offensive scheme and may even consult with CPJ on ideas. You have to fit your personnel.

He’s not bigger than LJ at all.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Collins has a few days left to flip one or more QBs, guys who might be waiting for February anyway. My uneducated guess will be that if a committed QB does not sign early,maybe he is not all that committed. But even with what he has he could weave a short game with a good runner and fair passer for a bridge into whatever his vision of offense is. (As an aside, I hope for Tech's sake that with the seven -year contract Stansbury does not include all those years in a buyout, and that the contract does not roll over every year, Since it is still in negotiation but the announcement already made it puts Collins and his agent in the driver's seat.)

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Collins better get the best RPO (run-pass-option) offensive coordinator he can possibly get to take maximum advantage of all of our athletic quarterbacks next year!!!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I would be thoroughly shocked if Lucas isn't our starting QB next year. Unless we are running a bunch of zone read type stuff, I'm not certain another QB on our roster can consistently make good throws into coverage. Tobias could be dirty coming in as a wildcat QB in certain situations. Not sure what to do with Graham at the moment. Moving him to the slot would be ideal to get the ball in his hands in space but when you have so many RB's that fit the slot mold it makes things difficult.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would be thoroughly shocked if Lucas isn't our starting QB next year. Unless we are running a bunch of zone read type stuff, I'm not certain another QB on our roster can consistently make good throws into coverage. Tobias could be dirty coming in as a wildcat QB in certain situations. Not sure what to do with Graham at the moment. Moving him to the slot would be ideal to get the ball in his hands in space but when you have so many RB's that fit the slot mold it makes things difficult.
Until we get a grad transfer.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Until we get a grad transfer.
This is probably CGC’s #1 decisions. I’m sure he’s evaluated the roster. There’s basically 3 choices:
A. He’s already got what he needs on the roster
B. He needs an immediate fill and bags one soon
C. It’s too late & he doesn’t have enough time to convince someone to accept the challenge

I hope it’s not #3

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
About 60%, or more, CFB fan bases have the same dilemma. A great QB can either make or break a coach. See CMR, Les Miles, CPJ, Taggart, McElwain, Muschamp, Chizik, and the list could go on and on.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Until we know positively what offense we are going to run no can say. If it's something like Auburn runs I feel any QB we have will be fine. If it's what I call a real Pro offense where the QB is use to only pass and they don't want him to run unless it's a scramble under pressure than we could have a problem.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Like watching the Texas Uga game. A good QB can make a less talented team play elite. Elliger is nowhere near a world beater but the guy toted Texas and keep the momentum for his team. If CGC can recruit decent and we can sign an above average QB you never know how far he can take you.