Stansbury

Animal02

Banned
No argument from me that wealthy people can't be ignorant or make bad choices. There certainly are plenty examples out here in the real world of all of that but I just am saying I don't buy that the folks with the treasure are TRYING or MEANING to do harm.

If the program doesn't come around soon than I agree we need to make a change, but some on here are suggesting the money people explicitly chose form over function and I just don't buy it. I do believe and understand many here and supporting the program wanted to move away from the option based sets we ran under CPJ. I think it is also clear that we as a program chose to be more player focused and less scheme focused, but the idea that boosters at any donor level would be pleased with what they got is laughable. CGC does some marketing things that rub me wrong but he has recruited better than we have previously and in a time where we are further behind our relative and geographic peers than ever before.

We have to get better execution, and often better schemes. That part is clear to everyone and hopefully something we can all agree on. It is just the weird "I hope the money people are happy with this mess" commentary that I was reacting to. Probably should have been more specific in my original post that was driving my response.
He recruits better because he was given the necessary funds to do so. I thought we were player focused...as in the education they were getting. GC came on board and his fan club practically demanded we "process players". That is not player focused....that is through out integrity to win. The sentiment about the money people being happy with the mess is grounded in what is pretty obvious that the money was not forthcoming while CPJ was here......yes it is their money to do what they wish........but they are the ones that led to the current situation.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
He recruits better because he was given the necessary funds to do so. I thought we were player focused...as in the education they were getting. GC came on board and his fan club practically demanded we "process players". That is not player focused....that is through out integrity to win. The sentiment about the money people being happy with the mess is grounded in what is pretty obvious that the money was not forthcoming while CPJ was here......yes it is their money to do what they wish........but they are the ones that led to the current situation.
The money was forthcoming when CPJ was here... once Stansbury arrived. If that is true, then the thesis that big money guys withheld funding due to CPJ is inaccurate. It's more an issue surrounding the prior AD(s), rather than a coach vs. coach or a money guys debate.

Yes, there were potshots and snide remarks toward CPJ. It's not hard to fathom given what we see here from folks on both sides of the never-ending CPJ vs. CGC debate, including those doing their victory lap or otherwise this week with shots toward CGC, TStan and staff. It's unfortunate that some posters and some of big money guys are the same in that way. It doesn't mean they ultimately make the hiring decision. That is where I agree that TStan is accountable, regardless of influence.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The money was forthcoming when CPJ was here... once Stansbury arrived. If that is true, then the thesis that big money guys withheld funding due to CPJ is inaccurate. It's more an issue surrounding the prior AD(s), rather than a coach vs. coach or a money guys debate.

Yes, there were potshots and snide remarks toward CPJ. It's not hard to fathom given what we see here from folks on both sides of the never-ending CPJ vs. CGC debate, including those doing their victory lap or otherwise this week with shots toward CGC, TStan and staff. It's unfortunate that some posters and some of big money guys are the same in that way. It doesn't mean they ultimately make the hiring decision. That is where I agree that TStan is accountable, regardless of influence.
I could be wrong ( and I'm sure someone will tell me I am ) but I really don't think our AD push CPJ out the door I think he was thinking he would stay 1 or 2 more years. I just believe CPJ got tired of all the things that go with being a Head Coach. I does happen .

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong ( and I'm sure someone will tell me I am ) but I really don't think our AD push CPJ out the door I think he was thinking he would stay 1 or 2 more years. I just believe CPJ got tired of all the things that go with being a Head Coach. I does happen .
Heavy reporting here in Southeast GA that CPJ was offered the Ga Southern job but turned them down. He retired on his own terms from Ga Tech (watch his retirement presser) and is clearly enjoying not having his employment determined by 17-22 year-olds.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't say it was as available as it is now (money).

Keep in mind CPJ had no OC and certainly didn't have an Oline coach/AHC making the more then anyone on staff (I could be wrong here).

Even with no OC on staff, we still didn't have the same resources that CGC enjoys now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say it was as available as it is now (money).

Keep in mind CPJ had no OC and certainly didn't have an Oline coach/AHC making the more then anyone on staff (I could be wrong here).

Even with no OC on staff, we still didn't have the same resources that CGC enjoys now.
I agree. To be clear about the point I'm making, money being available now had little to do with CPJ nor money guys. It has to do with timing of the AD transitions and their willingness/ability to solicit, ramp up and disburse the funding required.

“When Todd got here,” Johnson answered. “And I think he saw the locker room and realized how far behind we were in facilities and those type of things. I appreciate his leadership in it. I think, as I’ve said before, I think he gets it. I think he understands what we need to be able to compete, and he’s working hard to get us back up on that level.”
“I mean, he was, like (here, Johnson made a look of horror) when he walked in and saw what we were dealing with,” Johnson said. “It’s like, you couldn’t say it as a head coach because if you do – ‘Well, he’s making excuses.’ But it’s refreshing to have the AD come in and go, ‘Hey, look, we’ve been playing with our hands tied behind our back.’ So you look forward to that.”
While the competition to improve facilities and add staff does not end, Johnson has not had much to complain about with regard to commitment.

“Dan was a football guy,” Johnson said. “Now we’re back with Todd and (deputy AD Mark Rountree), and those guys, I feel like everybody’s on the same page, and they get it.”

Your comments re: salaries are directionally correct but slightly misleading. Hope you don't mind me saying it that way. Yes, CGC's staff is paid more than CPJ's staff. It's the structure of the assistant salaries and our OL/AHC allotment that stands out (maybe worth a separate discussion in and of itself). Ted Roof made $800k and Nate Woody made $575k. Year 1 of new regime, Brent Key was paid $600k, Thacker $450k and Patenaude $400k.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Basic issue with this staff is results on the field. Forget the stats. We continue to see wasted time outs because of disorganization on the sidelines and ...curious...coaching decisions about when to go for it and when not to go for it. And, at the end of the day, we are 3-5 and underdogs in every remaining game (with the possible exception of BC). Even going 4-8 and playing the way we play is not going to generate any feeling of 'improvement', as we play a lousy style of football with all the obvious poor coaching decisions.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I agree. To be clear about the point I'm making, money being available now had little to do with CPJ nor money guys. It has to do with timing of the AD transitions and their willingness/ability to solicit, ramp up and disburse the funding required.

Your comments re: salaries are directionally correct but slightly misleading. Hope you don't mind me saying it that way. Yes, CGC's staff is paid more than CPJ's staff. It's the structure of the assistant salaries and our OL/AHC allotment that stands out (maybe worth a separate discussion in and of itself). Ted Roof made $800k and Nate Woody made $575k. Year 1 of new regime, Brent Key was paid $600k, Thacker $450k and Patenaude $400k.
Nope don't mind at all. Always respect your point of view.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My problem with the insinuations being thrown about like candy last Sunday is that it impugns the dignity and intelligence of the money guys to say they're idiots.. They're also "our" idiots - if you all insist on calling them as such - and the gasoline for the engine of our AA.

No one in authority wants to lose. Sometimes people exert power (withholding $$ from CPJ because they don't see the longterm value of a strategy) but no one is intentionally hurting the program. The guys and girls who are stroking these checks, got their money and ability to do so, from being competitive, patient, smart and probably a bit lucky. I would agree there need to be some changes this offseason if we go winless from here.

Evaluation of new direction now is a fool's errand. We are getting better than we have been at the start of CGC's time here. What comes from the rest of the season will tell us where we are at, at a point in time where we would have viable options for improvement (plus a more full picture of where we really are). We are a few possessions/points away from being a 5-3 or 6-2 team right now and if we were the conversation would be a lot different.
Accidental post

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I’m not Collins fan, but Tony Elliot would have probably been just as awful of a hire. Clemson’s offensive scheme has always been rather vanilla, relying on the Deshaun Watson’s and Trevor Lawrence’s to be successful. Look at the years without them. This year the offense is terrible. 2017 with Kelly Bryant the offense heavily underperformed. His co-offensive coordinator has done next to nothing at USF. There is little evidence he could run a successful offense without and over abundance of talent and generational quarterback play.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
TStan has/had respect for PJ.
One night at a bar, we ran into him after a game and we started talking about coach. I said I'd known PJ for a long time and respected him greatly and got along with him very well on a personal level.
Stansbury called him a "mad scientist"

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
100-0 over the past two games. Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

3 wins per year over 3 years. Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

0 wins against FBS teams with winning records in 3 years...ZERO! Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

2 wins against FBS teams in one of the worst ACCs in a decade. Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

Back-to-back record margins of loss against ugag. (52-7 and 45-0) Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

Historical losses like 73-7, 55-0, 52-7, 45-0, 52-14, 45-0, and 27-24 (Citadel). Todd Stansbury: "I have my man."

According to the AJC, we only save $3.2 million by waiting until after next season to fire Collins.