Stansbury

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Why are you so stuck on Collins' salary relative to other P5 coaches? I guess Notre Dame must not be a big time program since per your previously referenced link they only pay Brian Kelly $2.6m a year.
Because people are complaining about his contract - that he's making too much money, the contract is too long, and the buyout is too big. It's not. On the contrary, it is a favorable contract to Tech (for a P5 head coach). His coaching has been terrible, but fortunately, we aren't saddled with even a middle of the row P5 contract. Yes, you will find some with a smaller salaries, but in the P5 market, Collins salary is near the bottom.

In my opinion if he finishes the year poorly and has a similarly bad year next year, he will be gone. It won't matter that he had a 7 year contract. The buyout is only $2.4m/year for the last three years - relatively modest for P5 coaches. The going rate for the next coach we hire will probably be in the $3.5m to $4m range. Which will still be in the bottom half of P5 coaches.

I'm not even comparing Tech to the factories; they are at a completely different level. I'm talking about average P5 schools.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What are our ultimate goals?

Be competitive?
Go to a bowl?
Have a winning record?
Top 25?
Win our Division?
Win the ACC?
Compete with the pups?
Be in the playoffs?

What does the AD or the coach want to achieve by year 7? If I knew the goal it would help me measure the process.
Todd has stated that his goal is to win ACC Championships. That is what he said. Now, does he mean that? I mean, Vanderbilt says the same thing.

When he was hired, he made a few comments that were prescient. He said, paraphrasing, "There is a split in D1 coming and it's going to be the Top 40 and everyone else. My goal is to make sure Georgia Tech football remains relevant and a member of that Top 40."

If we go 8-4 every year and go to a bowl ... we are relevant. And I think that is the goal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why people are saying they don't see improvement in the 2021 team. I get the frustraction with the D as I think they should be better, I also see the frustration with the play calls on O. This boils down to the coordinators to me.

But to the improvement. Just ran the percentages here but in 2019 we lost 9 games by an average of 22.4 points, in 2020 we lost 7 games by an average of 24.85 points, to date in 2021 we have lost 5 games by an average of 11 points. In 2019 we lost all but 2 games by double digits, in 2020 we lost every game by double digits, and in 2021 we have only lost 1 of our games by double digits.

The fact is that we are far closer to winning than we were in the previous two season. Do the losses hurt? Yeah they hurt but if you don't see improvement, then you aren't looking.
Let be realistic , has special teams improved , yes from pitiful to now average, has the offense improved , depends yards per game yes ,OL play no , scoring yes .3rd down and red zone not really. Has the defense improved no at times it's really bad pass rush no other than one game , defensive back play is pitiful.
So have we really improved or has the ACC teams we played got worse this year ( Think about that very close. ) if you see lots of improvement good for you but I don't see the kind of improvement that gets us more wins I find it real sad when we think but losing by less points is improvement when it could be the other teams are not as good as in the past.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Because people are complaining about his contract - that he's making too much money, the contract is too long, and the buyout is too big. It's not. On the contrary, it is a favorable contract to Tech (for a P5 head coach). His coaching has been terrible, but fortunately, we aren't saddled with even a middle of the row P5 contract. Yes, you will find some with a smaller salaries, but in the P5 market, Collins salary is near the bottom.

In my opinion if he finishes the year poorly and has a similarly bad year next year, he will be gone. It won't matter that he had a 7 year contract. The buyout is only $2.4m/year for the last three years - relatively modest for P5 coaches. The going rate for the next coach we hire will probably be in the $3.5m to $4m range. Which will still be in the bottom half of P5 coaches.

I'm not even comparing Tech to the factories; they are at a completely different level. I'm talking about average P5 schools.
I can't speak for others , is he making too much money yes for the number of wins yes. I don't care about what contracts other teams have give out.
Point blank what I want is a coach that will coach stop selling and trying to be friends with the players and coach them and a few more wins.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why people are saying they don't see improvement in the 2021 team. I get the frustraction with the D as I think they should be better, I also see the frustration with the play calls on O. This boils down to the coordinators to me.

But to the improvement. Just ran the percentages here but in 2019 we lost 9 games by an average of 22.4 points, in 2020 we lost 7 games by an average of 24.85 points, to date in 2021 we have lost 5 games by an average of 11 points. In 2019 we lost all but 2 games by double digits, in 2020 we lost every game by double digits, and in 2021 we have only lost 1 of our games by double digits.

The fact is that we are far closer to winning than we were in the previous two season. Do the losses hurt? Yeah they hurt but if you don't see improvement, then you aren't looking.
I see very noticeable improvement everywhere except defense. I actually believe Collins is doing a better job as a head coach with his game-day duties as well, with the exception of a couple of decisions but then no coach is perfect.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't speak for others , is he making too much money yes for the number of wins yes. I don't care about what contracts other teams have give out.
Point blank what I want is a coach that will coach stop selling and trying to be friends with the players and coach them and a few more wins.
In your former role as VP, were you able to or even attempt to hire people below prevailing market rates for their skill set? I am guessing no. Just like I didn't. In my industry, people knew in general what the going rate for engineers or HR managers or salespeople were. The hourly people knew what they could get in general terms for hourly pay. I felt it was productive to pay competitive wages and/or salaries and would not want the reputation as someone who hired people on the cheap. Nor would I want a candidate who would take a lowball offer either.

I am guessing you, like most of us, wanted to pay fair and competitive wages with same for benefits. You, like most of us, then dealt with those whose performances did not live up to expectations that came with the salary and job title.

The TL,DR version....I don't want an engineer who would accept a $40,000 job offer or select a heart surgeon based on lowest bid.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Let be realistic , has special teams improved , yes from pitiful to now average, has the offense improved , depends yards per game yes ,OL play no , scoring yes .3rd down and red zone not really. Has the defense improved no at times it's really bad pass rush no other than one game , defensive back play is pitiful.
So have we really improved or has the ACC teams we played got worse this year ( Think about that very close. ) if you see lots of improvement good for you but I don't see the kind of improvement that gets us more wins I find it real sad when we think but losing by less points is improvement when it could be the other teams are not as good as in the past.
Based off strength of schedule in 2019 48th, 2020 58th, 2021 44th. So off that metric we are playing roughly the same level of opponent.

slugboy

Staff member
Why are you so stuck on Collins' salary relative to other P5 coaches? I guess Notre Dame must not be a big time program since per your previously referenced link they only pay Brian Kelly $2.6m a year.
Brian Kelly’s salary is kept low so that it’s not the top salary at Notre Dame. The same with Mike Brey. His salary and his compensation are different things, and he’s paid through TV contracts and other channels that don’t show up as salary.

Kelly made more than $3 million before going to Notre Dame years ago, at a school where they had to publish his compensation. He’s not making less now at a school where they don’t have to share his real compensation.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In your former role as VP, were you able to or even attempt to hire people below prevailing market rates for their skill set? I am guessing no. Just like I didn't. In my industry, people knew in general what the going rate for engineers or HR managers or salespeople were. The hourly people knew what they could get in general terms for hourly pay. I felt it was productive to pay competitive wages and/or salaries and would not want the reputation as someone who hired people on the cheap. Nor would I want a candidate who would take a lowball offer either.

I am guessing you, like most of us, wanted to pay fair and competitive wages with same for benefits. You, like most of us, then dealt with those whose performances did not live up to expectations that came with the salary and job title.

The TL,DR version....I don't want an engineer who would accept a $40,000 job offer or select a heart surgeon based on lowest bid.
Yes and no but I was in an unusual circumstances I was over 3 offices Athens Gainesville and Atlanta but the Atlanta office was union the other 2 were not. Anyone one I hired was on a 6 month trial which at that time they got a raise had to do another 6 months or I let them go. So to answer you question I had no say so over the pay of the union people in Atlanta. But I can tell you the Athens and Gainesville employees make more money. But so you know this was a construction company so the people we hired we knew about them as most construction all knew each other and talked most of the time we would promote within 90% . but our foreman and superintendents did the hiring for the crews. We also were a corporation on the stock market so I had to answer to the board of directors . They wanted to know what our ROI was if not how we were going to improve it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know it was probably meant to be TiC, but stud RBs got a lot more carries than that under CPJ.

They also had chances to show pass catching via the ABack Route. Here are some of the years from CPJ just to show. I did this quickly, but a featured back could get their touches for sure, CPJ went to the hot hand. It is what some of the bigtime WR we got under CPJ said too. Yes you have to block a lot (which incidentally the NFL Likes Seeing) but you also got favorable 1on1 match ups. The whole scheme was predicated off of getting guys good looks to beat their guy and take it to the house.

SeasonFeatured BBackSeason Carries and Game CountAttempts per game
2008Dwyer200 Carries in 13 Games15.38
2009Dwyer235 Carries in 14 Games16.78
2010Ant Allen240 Carries in 14 Games17.14
2011Committee (Sims (135) and Lyons (57) Combined)192 Carries in 12 Games16
2012Committee (Sims (135) and Laskey (133) Combined)168 Carries in 14 Games19.14
2013Laskey - but we really used ABacks Heavily84 Carries in 13 Games6.46
2014Laskey171 Carries in 11 Games15.55
I will make some concession, but in fairness toss out the fullback carries as he is always the first of three options. (And they generally came out of Tech several inchs shorter than when they started.)

I could not help, watching Clemson-FSU, wondering how exciting that Shipley kid would have been as a triple option fullback.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Our problem the last 20 years first and foremost is having a great quarterback. All good and great football team has for the most part is a great quarterback(Haven’t had one since Godsey) Second is offensive lineman. Key can coach but until he start getting 9.3 or higher rated Quarterbacks and 9.0 to 9.5 a average o lineman then we always going average of worst. Then you need a few big defensive lineman and the rest of your team needs to have length and speed speed speed. That been our problem the last 20 years since football has changed. Then you got to coach them up but you half to have the right kind of players. It starts with a great quarterback. Look At Clemson. Do you think they have 2 national championship lately without Watson and Sunshine.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If he says the word ELITE one more time..............
Animated GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What are our ultimate goals?

Be competitive?
Go to a bowl?
Have a winning record?
Top 25?
Win our Division?
Win the ACC?
Compete with the pups?
Be in the playoffs?

What does the AD or the coach want to achieve by year 7? If I knew the goal it would help me measure the process.
That is actually a very good 👍 question.

Not trying to be snarky when I say this but I fear that the goal is to be an average to mediocre team but to no longer be made fun of by rivals trolling us about “high school offense.”

I wonder if the AD or Collins would ever state in transparent terms what winning in year 7 would look like? I’m ok with them aiming high and falling just short but I will be even more depressed if we are no longer expecting to win a division, a conference or go to a major bowl.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I feel very confident that Collins and Stansbury are on the same page. There's a reason he was given a 7-year contract and we're only in Year 3. Stop being chicken-littles. Things will get better. We've got a young team and they play inconsistently. I can't believe so many are so short-sighted.
Outside of Jeff and Jahmyr… Who is young? We have 1 OL and 1 DL that aren’t upperclassmen, 5th year guys at WR and DB. The problem to me isn’t the youth anymore is that the guys that have been here 3 years aren’t better.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was publicly reported that these two other candidates were interested. It was also publicly reported that they were not wined and dined, for whatever reason. Which is why (read carefully) I said, “rightly or wrongly” in my original post. So the idea that “no one was interested” is absolutely false.
I wasn't questioning others being interested. I think there were; I just don't remember who (other than rumors). My comment was the last part: "stiff armed by the powers that be." I don't believe, unless someone is inside the situation, any of us know what conversations Stansbury had with other candidates.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Outside of Jeff and Jahmyr… Who is young? We have 1 OL and 1 DL that aren’t upperclassmen, 5th year guys at WR and DB. The problem to me isn’t the youth anymore is that the guys that have been here 3 years aren’t better.
Look at the roster. The vast majority are underclassmen. Young talent, although talented, are still young. Youth plays inconsistently.

And I'm not talking about the starting 22 players. If you are, that's telling. If that's your argument, then I should put you on ignore right now because either you have nothing tangible to add to the conversation or you're trolling. The difference between winning teams at the P5 level (any team) is not the starting 22, but the next 22, and the next 11 or so after that. That's the difference between perenially winning teams and everyone else.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't base it off the strength of schedule is Clemson as good this year as last year. Is VT as good this year , fact the whole ACC is down
Ok don't base it off any metric just stech81's eyeball test.

Pitt is for sure better, Virginia is better