Stansbury

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes wins are the bench mark for judging a program. Everything else is excuse making. Doesn't matter if you gain 900 yards a game if you still only win 3 games a year. Rather comical you making any credibility claims.
Everything I say has a basis in fact not opinion. When I offer an opinion, I state that it's an opinion. Wins are not the only way to judge the progress of a program and that's not excuse-making. But you're entitled to your narrow opinion.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Everything I say has a basis in fact not opinion. When I offer an opinion, I state that it's an opinion. Wins are not the only way to judge the progress of a program and that's not excuse-making. But you're entitled to your narrow opinion.
What exactly are you looking for? Just curious because you seem to be coming to the defense of Collins and what he says he is building.

In my opinion wins are everything. If not, you become UCONN or UMASS. Even winning 5-7 games sets up for some pop soon. Winning only 3 games a year for 3 years in a row is extremely alarming.

I don’t care how good you look losing. Losing to Clemson was a result of poor play calling in the red zone. The players looked good but there was clearly something missing that still is.

I don’t think any of our other athletic programs would keep their coach with that consecutive losing. I think the Collins sales job has some still drinking the kool aid.

He sold a lot up front about becoming elite but 3 years later I see the opposite.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We all hope Collins can figure it out. We do. No one dislikes him as a person. He seems like a guy that would be fun. But to date his words haven’t matched the field. And that’s not wins and losses. It’s the process. We just had a 4 game stretch of mediocre opponents. If we had gone 0-4 but saw positives from week to week I think many of us would still be on board. But we went 1-3 and there was no consistency in any aspect of the team from week to week. We are the exact same team on Nov 1 as we were on Oct 1. And what’s worse is that at the end of the season we’ll realize we played only 2 ranked teams (ND and UGA) so this should have been a year where we should have taken a big step which would have kept recruiting going. Instead, we are now left to pray that between now and next September that our staff figures it out because another year of this and the recruiting door will shut.
I'm disappointed with the outcome too. I think everyone is. My only point (and it's not necessarily pointed at any one person) is it's not time to jump ship in Year 3 of a 7 year contract with the last 18 months being what they were.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What exactly are you looking for? Just curious because you seem to be coming to the defense of Collins and what he says he is building.

In my opinion wins are everything. If not, you become UCONN or UMASS. Even winning 5-7 games sets up for some pop soon. Winning only 3 games a year for 3 years in a row is extremely alarming.

I don’t care how good you look losing. Losing to Clemson was a result of poor play calling in the red zone. The players looked good but there was clearly something missing that still is.

I don’t think any of our other athletic programs would keep their coach with that consecutive losing. I think the Collins sales job has some still drinking the kool aid.

He sold a lot up front about becoming elite but 3 years later I see the opposite.
Ultimately, I agree, wins/losses are the best judgment of whether a program is good or not good. That wasn't the point. The comment was that wins and losses aren't the only way to measure progress. I think that's a very different point.

I never said winning only 3 games 3 years in a row was good. Granted, we only played 10 games last year, so those three games aren't the same as 2019. We're not done this year, so no one knows where we'll end up. No one said they were satisfied or happy with where we are. But, some of us can see progress and are encouraged.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look at the roster. The vast majority are underclassmen. Young talent, although talented, are still young. Youth plays inconsistently.

And I'm not talking about the starting 22 players. If you are, that's telling. If that's your argument, then I should put you on ignore right now because either you have nothing tangible to add to the conversation or you're trolling. The difference between winning teams at the P5 level (any team) is not the starting 22, but the next 22, and the next 11 or so after that. That's the difference between perenially winning teams and everyone else.
And there is part of the problem some of us have if we are going to lose and we have you 4 more years play the young players so they can learn . If you can;t win with Jr's and Sr's what does it hurt

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Look at the roster. The vast majority are underclassmen. Young talent, although talented, are still young. Youth plays inconsistently.

And I'm not talking about the starting 22 players. If you are, that's telling. If that's your argument, then I should put you on ignore right now because either you have nothing tangible to add to the conversation or you're trolling. The difference between winning teams at the P5 level (any team) is not the starting 22, but the next 22, and the next 11 or so after that. That's the difference between perenially winning teams and everyone else.
And also ask yourself how many of our starting 22 would be starting for the teams we play every week?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Outside of Jeff and Jahmyr… Who is young? We have 1 OL and 1 DL that aren’t upperclassmen, 5th year guys at WR and DB. The problem to me isn’t the youth anymore is that the guys that have been here 3 years aren’t better.
How many of our upperclassmen OL and DL were recruited by Collins?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The OP asked, "Does anyone know how he (Stansbury) feels about the situation?"

I am sure he does not like the situation. He spoke internally (at the AA) of being "laser-focused" on fixing the football program and the results aren't there. Because Collins is his hire, he will have to keep a very low profile to maintain distance. My guess is that for the next 24 months, Todd will focus on fund-raising and building the new Edge.

Overall? I think Todd probably feels ok. The AI2020 was a big success, money is coming in from the ACCN, and the other sports are looking ok. My guess is that no one wanted to be the one to have to flip the roster. A lot of coaches won't even touch a program without talent ... that's why the rumor is that Lane Kiffin is going to jump to LSU ... he's losing 17 starters and his QB. So Todd is willing to live with Geoff struggling while new facilities are built, some costs get reduced, and we're in a better place in 2 years than today
Facilities will not save this program when we go 3-9 and UGA wins a natty.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not every comment is a confrontation. I think you mentioned in your previous post where you saw improvement and where you didn't. It was supposed to be levity.
Yes some SP teams and a little on offense Defense no other then one game. But it's hard to tell the ACC is down. Look I know CGC is here for awhile but if the players on the field ain't getting it done start playing the young players don't wait 2 years and tell us they are young and need to learn.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes some SP teams and a little on offense Defense no other then one game. But it's hard to tell the ACC is down. Look I know CGC is here for awhile but if the players on the field ain't getting it done start playing the young players don't wait 2 years and tell us they are young and need to learn.
I'm good with that as long as it doesn't stunt their growth. Some kids can handle it, some can't. I can't tell the difference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't questioning others being interested. I think there were; I just don't remember who (other than rumors). My comment was the last part: "stiff armed by the powers that be." I don't believe, unless someone is inside the situation, any of us know what conversations Stansbury had with other candidates.
You’re right of course. None of us were in the rooms where decisions were made. Weirdly though most people reading the news in real time could see that Whisenhunt, for instance, was not going to get picked and that Collins was coming across as the golden boy. Maybe that was just the spin of reporters or good guessing on everyone’s part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You’re right of course. None of us were in the rooms where decisions were made. Weirdly though most people reading the news in real time could see that Whisenhunt, for instance, was not going to get picked and that Collins was coming across as the golden boy. Maybe that was just the spin of reporters or good guessing on everyone’s part.
I remember a lot of people being very negative about Wiz. Thought that was really odd because I remembered a lot of people being very positive about Wiz when O'Leary left.

Animal02

Banned

Anyone that makes claims about losing better is just another excuse maker.