Stansbury

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There’s much debate on the coaching staff but little opinion on the architect. Does anyone know how he feels about the situation? It’s been radio silence from the Edge but perhaps I have missed a transmission.

Stansbury is not in trouble like some on here want to believe. The reason is CGC was an O'Leary guy, and CGC was pushed ahead of the line by a LOT of big money donors who are still enamored by the O'Leary/Ross years. Stansbury has a lot of political capital within GT because he's done a very good job elsewhere, and he listened to a lot of influential people when hiring CGC. If anything, Stansbury will have even more say on the next coach as the CGC backers will most likely stay out of the way this time, and when another coach is hired, those same big money CGC backers will step up because they know they are as responsible for this debacle as Stansbury.

If you are irked by Stansbury's "stand by your man" public routine, just know it's a public show of support because saying otherwise does more damage to GT and hiring potential coaches than showing support to an obvious problem. Also, we were in season, last thing you want is players not giving full effort because they know their coaches are dead men walking.

If you want to know how it really stands, just know that Stansbury making it public that GT has already gathered the money to fire CGC if we need to isn't just a flippant comment to appease some reporter. Do you think discussions of buyout ahead of Year 4 happen without Stansbury involvement? Think about that.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
when another coach is hired, those same big money CGC backers will step up because they know they are as responsible for this debacle as Stansbury.
I'm in general agreement with this in post except for maybe this. Not sure the $$ accepts 'equal' responsibility. Making a change at AD at the same time would absolve them of some of that 'equal' responsibility. In mitigation, this is just random opinion making before I finish my coffee..... And I ultimately think TStan stays if CGC goes later.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Techster Understand the “stand by your man” routine but did he really have to do it before the mutt game? That ill-timed reflex action did absolutely no good except to infuriate the small portion of the fan base that’s still engaged.

slugboy

Staff member
@Techster Understand the “stand by your man” routine but did he really have to do it before the mutt game? That ill-timed reflex action did absolutely no good except to infuriate the small portion of the fan base that’s still engaged.
I’m not saying that Stansbury is a master of political communication, but that statement was much easier to make before the game than after. Can you imagine him giving that statement right after the game or this morning?

LibertyTurns

Banned
It's was a d@mned if you do, and d@mned if you don't situation.
I’m not saying that Stansbury is a master of political communication, but that statement was much easier to make before the game than after. Can you imagine him giving that statement right after the game or this morning?
He could have just said something like “I’m sure GC will have our Team prepared. Staff evaluations always happen in the off-season”. When you say “I have my man”, that’s like a damn marraige statement. You own that sucker lock, stock & barrel and there’s no going back. If I was advising him, I’d have had him prepared to speak. I’d never let my CEO blurt out something like that particularly to the press.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm in general agreement with this in post except for maybe this. Not sure the $$ accepts 'equal' responsibility. Making a change at AD at the same time would absolve them of some of that 'equal' responsibility. In mitigation, this is just random opinion making before I finish my coffee..... And I ultimately think TStan stays if CGC goes later.

If TStan was in trouble, he would already have been gone. You're not hiring a HC and handcuff the next AD with a new football coach he didn't hire. You usually hire a new AD so he can hire his own HC, not the other way around. It's why every AD wants to hire their own HC...because that's ultimately their legacy. Unless an AD inherits someone like Saban.

Think of the monetary support as paying off and relieving their guilt.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He could have just said something like “I’m sure GC will have our Team prepared. Staff evaluations always happen in the off-season”. When you say “I have my man”, that’s like a damn marraige statement. You own that sucker lock, stock & barrel and there’s no going back. If I was advising him, I’d have had him prepared to speak. I’d never let my CEO blurt out something like that particularly to the press.

I get what you're saying, but in the end, no matter what he says half the fanbase was going to be unhappy. It's better to be publicly supportive and send a message to any prospective hire that the AD is willing to take the heat off you. AS you alluded to, maybe he could have chosen better words to communicate that without handcuffing himself to CGC.

In another sense, Stansbury is just like the NFL commissioner. He says things that make you roll your eyes, but at the end of the day he's speaking for a lot of people (think donors and GT admin), so it's better for him to take the bullets than the other people. Part of the job you have to do as the AD.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Forget about CPJ. Transition talk is pathetic at this point. I’ll give you year one being bad, but it doesn’t take three years to transition from any one scheme to any one other scheme.

For those claiming the offense had been ok, check these end of season offensive rankings out.

96th in scoring offense per game
92nd in total offense per game
100th in 3rd down conversion %
96th in 4th down conversion %
98th in red zone conversion % (122nd in RZ TD %)
99th in first downs per game

That is likely one of the worst offensive teams GT has ever fielded. The ONLY thing we had was Gibbs ability to spring a big play.

I guarantee you that there are OCs that could have walked in and produced a better product in year two than we fielded in year three. Just watch how monumental the offensive transition will look if we get a qualified OC in here next year.
I'm not talking about the transition. I agree the offense will look better. It would look better whether we have P-Nut or a new OC because all the good players are a year older.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Every game I watch yesterday afternoon and night had True Freshman contributing all over the place. We’re the only school that needs 4 years to develop a player, but when you look at those that have 4 years under their belt you gotta wonder what kind of coaching are they getting. It looks like a duck.
Yep. Saw a bunch of well coached teams yesterday. Except one.

slugboy

Staff member
All he needed to say is after the season we will sit down and make our decisions on what is best for our program
And then what would you have thought when he announced Saturday or in the next couple of days that Collins is coming back?

I also think “I’ve got my man” was overboard, but we’ve got so many pages saying how bad it is to procrastinate. He didn’t. He said Collins is coming back, and got that over with.

He cares about the recruiting class, and the recruits needed to know he’s coming back. Giving a vague statement only makes sense if you haven’t decided, or you want to leave multiple someones hanging in the wind.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Let’s be honest, Stansbury isn’t the best communicator in the world.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If TStan was in trouble, he would already have been gone. You're not hiring a HC and handcuff the next AD with a new football coach he didn't hire. You usually hire a new AD so he can hire his own HC, not the other way around. It's why every AD wants to hire their own HC...because that's ultimately their legacy. Unless an AD inherits someone like Saban.

Think of the monetary support as paying off and relieving their guilt.
Agreed. AD hires coach. Way too many examples at the next level up of empowering the coach too much.
Wish I had some guilt $$. I'd throw in on the problem.

LibertyTurns

Banned
And then what would you have thought when he announced Saturday or in the next couple of days that Collins is coming back?
I’d have been pissed off but 4-5 days later. Why did he have to destroy our hope? Other than player’s Mothers and the kid worried about being processed or being recruited over is anybody happy we’re not turning the page?

slugboy

Staff member
I’d have been pissed off but 4-5 days later. Why did he have to destroy our hope? Other than player’s Mothers and the kid worried about being processed or being recruited over is anybody happy we’re not turning the page?

I know, but if you’re not getting a pony, it’s better to hear it long before Christmas day. Even if you really wanted that pony.