Stansbury

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe people are willing to endure years of losing seasons to just return to the same level we were at before this train wreck started. You will have multi years of students that will be out of the habit of going to games, you have tons of season ticket holders doing the same....you have student athletes that very well may not see a winning season in there time on the flats....the short sightless is allowing this distruction to take place to begin with.
I disagree. I think you are wholey wrong. I guess only time will tell us which is right. I think as soon as we grow into ourselves, we're going to be a very good team and win a lot of games. Your comment about "to just return to the same level we were" says more about your perspective than anything else. Collins might not be the right guy, he might be. He's going to get his 6-7 years to show whether he is or isn't. One thing is for sure, at the end of those 6-7 years, the roster on this team is going to be built to run just about anything the next OC is looking to run. It wasn't that way when CPJ left. So, regardless of whether you're right or I'm right, by Year 6-7 of the current regime, the program will be positioned to go in whatever direction they choose.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Who knew we had so many qualified Athletics Directors and FBS Power 5 worthy Head Coaches who have never held any job that would make the resume of either of those positions.

For those who are going to stop giving money, don't suddenly start giving again when vision is complete, whether its CGC or not. I don't wanna hear it. Who gives up on their team? Doesn't matter when your Fandom started or how long you've been going to games or giving to the AA, just because you were born before me doesn't mean you are more loyal to Tech than I or newer fans. Get humble. We all know that money is the answer, so we are going to solve it by NOT giving money...gotcha. Send checks of your regular donations to the GTAA and put a "Fires CGC" message on the memo line, but still send in the checks.

Y'all honestly think ADTS is ignorant about the current situation? You think he and CGC are hugging and dancing around at 3 wins while our in state rival is ranked #1? So we fire DC tomorrow, what will that solve? No way to install a new scheme for the remainder of the season. There SHOULD be coaching changes this off season, not before because it solves nothing. 3 years ago with at the start of the transition, we could only hope to be in a game. Now, after the covid year (yes it really does matter that practices and meetings and teaching HAD to be reduced) we have had a chance to win all but 1 of our games and y'all don't see improvement?

I'm used to fair weather Falcons, Braves and uga fans, but I thought being a Tech fan meant something special. Thick or thin. Up or down. Guess not.

For those who still harp that CPJ was fired or forced out are crazier than a Walmart mutt fan. If he was forced out, why hasn't the future hall of fame coach taken another job? He retired on his own terms as he had earned the right to do. And the only negative thing I will ever say about CPJ is it was widely reported that he had lost the locker room when the fight video came out. It did come out after he retired, yet was a sign of instability during his last season. Was that his fault or just a widening gap between his generation and the newest one?

As always, GO TECH! BEAT duh U! Beat the Eagles back to B.C. Fight the Irish to the death and come out on top! Beat them leg humpers! (Of course, if we do that, many of you will be upset because CGC is the coach, but ya know....you're a fan :rolleyes:)

Don't tell others how to be fans of their chosen team. Everyone on here wants us to win. Many don't agree with the hiring of Collins, the length of the contract, his antics and his and the team's performance since his hiring. This is a fan message board, which sort of gives everyone the right to come on here and praise or complain about their team. Unless the rules are changed on the site that state that no negativity toward the team and coaches is allowed, that's what fan message boards are for. To celebrate and/or commiserate with like minded supporters of your chosen team.

If we were 7-1 right now, we would think the press conferences, Waffle House references and clothes Collins wears are endearing. When we've won 9 games over 2+ seasons, those are things to point at and say "this guy is in over his head and doesn't get it."

I was told on here two years ago that he's not talking to me in press conferences. I was called a troll because I joked about his clothes in an attempt to try and find something to vent about this staff and team. That's fine. But if he keeps up the losing, people are going to vent their frustrations right at him and his staff. That's life as a fan of any team and the nature of team message boards.

slugboy

Staff member
Better than paying out the arse, which with a seven-year contract is what Tech would have to do.
If TStan had negotiated a 5-year deal, we’d be paying out the wazoo this year. Same for a six year deal, which was common the year Collins signed.
People are getting wrapped up in the length of the contract, which isn’t the important detail, except for how it factors into the buyout. Regardless of that extra 1 year — and it’s just 1 year more than Satterfield got — any P5 hire here was going to have a substantial buyout during or after this season. Ours isn’t even that big a buyout compared to others.

I personally look at head coach contracts and shake my head in disbelief. Ours isn’t substantially out of the norm—it’s a school-friendly contract in a lot of ways.
Nobody was going to sign a contract that would let you fire them painlessly after three seasons. Not even Tony Elliott.

Also, the idea that Collins didn’t have leverage coming out of Temple is just wrong. They were hiring Manny Diaz to replace him. They had been a launching pad for P5 coaches for years. Collins was only a year or two from his next step up.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think you are wholey wrong. I guess only time will tell us which is right. I think as soon as we grow into ourselves, we're going to be a very good team and win a lot of games. Your comment about "to just return to the same level we were" says more about your perspective than anything else. Collins might not be the right guy, he might be. He's going to get his 6-7 years to show whether he is or isn't. One thing is for sure, at the end of those 6-7 years, the roster on this team is going to be built to run just about anything the next OC is looking to run. It wasn't that way when CPJ left. So, regardless of whether you're right or I'm right, by Year 6-7 of the current regime, the program will be positioned to go in whatever direction they choose.

If Collins is here for 6-7 years, I hope he is crushing it and winning 10+ each year. I have serious doubts that will be the case. And if it is not, I'm not sure how much talent will be here at that time and how many fans will be in the seats at that point. I hope I'm wrong.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If TStan had negotiated a 5-year deal, we’d be paying out the wazoo this year. Same for a six year deal, which was common the year Collins signed.
People are getting wrapped up in the length of the contract, which isn’t the important detail, except for how it factors into the buyout. Regardless of that extra 1 year — and it’s just 1 year more than Satterfield got — any P5 hire here was going to have a substantial buyout during or after this season. Ours isn’t even that big a buyout compared to others.

I personally look at head coach contracts and shake my head in disbelief. Ours isn’t substantially out of the norm—it’s a school-friendly contract in a lot of ways.
Nobody was going to sign a contract that would let you fire them painlessly after three seasons. Not even Tony Elliott.

Also, the idea that Collins didn’t have leverage coming out of Temple is just wrong. They were hiring Manny Diaz to replace him. They had been a launching pad for P5 coaches for years. Collins was only a year or two from his next step up.

Or if he kept winning fewer games than his predecessor, as he did in Years 1 and 2 at Temple, he wouldn't have been the HC at Temple much longer..... I don't think he had too much leverage. I think he had a good agent. No one else in the country with a big time program was going to hire Collins after his two years at Temple. Stansbury bought the argument that it was the greatest transition in the history of the world and feel for it. Should've been a five year deal with a look back after 3 or so to add years if going in the right direction. He was too much of a risk to give a 7 year contract and the current situation is showing why right now. If we were improving each year, in play and wins, I don't think many would be questioning the hire. With all of the issues with this staff and team, the 7 year contract looks comical.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Who knew we had so many qualified Athletics Directors and FBS Power 5 worthy Head Coaches who have never held any job that would make the resume of either of those positions.

For those who are going to stop giving money, don't suddenly start giving again when vision is complete, whether its CGC or not. I don't wanna hear it. Who gives up on their team? Doesn't matter when your Fandom started or how long you've been going to games or giving to the AA, just because you were born before me doesn't mean you are more loyal to Tech than I or newer fans. Get humble. We all know that money is the answer, so we are going to solve it by NOT giving money...gotcha. Send checks of your regular donations to the GTAA and put a "Fires CGC" message on the memo line, but still send in the checks.

Y'all honestly think ADTS is ignorant about the current situation? You think he and CGC are hugging and dancing around at 3 wins while our in state rival is ranked #1? So we fire DC tomorrow, what will that solve? No way to install a new scheme for the remainder of the season. There SHOULD be coaching changes this off season, not before because it solves nothing. 3 years ago with at the start of the transition, we could only hope to be in a game. Now, after the covid year (yes it really does matter that practices and meetings and teaching HAD to be reduced) we have had a chance to win all but 1 of our games and y'all don't see improvement?

I'm used to fair weather Falcons, Braves and uga fans, but I thought being a Tech fan meant something special. Thick or thin. Up or down. Guess not.

For those who still harp that CPJ was fired or forced out are crazier than a Walmart mutt fan. If he was forced out, why hasn't the future hall of fame coach taken another job? He retired on his own terms as he had earned the right to do. And the only negative thing I will ever say about CPJ is it was widely reported that he had lost the locker room when the fight video came out. It did come out after he retired, yet was a sign of instability during his last season. Was that his fault or just a widening gap between his generation and the newest one?

As always, GO TECH! BEAT duh U! Beat the Eagles back to B.C. Fight the Irish to the death and come out on top! Beat them leg humpers! (Of course, if we do that, many of you will be upset because CGC is the coach, but ya know....you're a fan :rolleyes:)
amen brother!!! One of the best post I ever read on this board!!!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No, we're fans, which is why we're posting on a fan board. Fans have a right to an opinion about the performance of the AD and coaches. Just because we're not qualified for the job doesn't mean we're not qualified to express an opinion, and it doesn't mean we're wrong, either. Otherwise, we just bow down to Authority with a capital "A", keep our dubious thoughts to ourselves, and mutely accept whatever the Powers That Be grant us.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My problem with the insinuations being thrown about like candy last Sunday is that it impugns the dignity and intelligence of the money guys to say they're idiots.. They're also "our" idiots - if you all insist on calling them as such - and the gasoline for the engine of our AA.

No one in authority wants to lose. Sometimes people exert power (withholding $$ from CPJ because they don't see the longterm value of a strategy) but no one is intentionally hurting the program. The guys and girls who are stroking these checks, got their money and ability to do so, from being competitive, patient, smart and probably a bit lucky. I would agree there need to be some changes this offseason if we go winless from here.

Evaluation of new direction now is a fool's errand. We are getting better than we have been at the start of CGC's time here. What comes from the rest of the season will tell us where we are at, at a point in time where we would have viable options for improvement (plus a more full picture of where we really are). We are a few possessions/points away from being a 5-3 or 6-2 team right now and if we were the conversation would be a lot different.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Don't tell others how to be fans of their chosen team. Everyone on here wants us to win. Many don't agree with the hiring of Collins, the length of the contract, his antics and his and the team's performance since his hiring. This is a fan message board, which sort of gives everyone the right to come on here and praise or complain about their team. Unless the rules are changed on the site that state that no negativity toward the team and coaches is allowed, that's what fan message boards are for. To celebrate and/or commiserate with like minded supporters of your chosen team.

If we were 7-1 right now, we would think the press conferences, Waffle House references and clothes Collins wears are endearing. When we've won 9 games over 2+ seasons, those are things to point at and say "this guy is in over his head and doesn't get it."

I was told on here two years ago that he's not talking to me in press conferences. I was called a troll because I joked about his clothes in an attempt to try and find something to vent about this staff and team. That's fine. But if he keeps up the losing, people are going to vent their frustrations right at him and his staff. That's life as a fan of any team and the nature of team message boards.
The only thing I told people to do was to keep writing checks because we as an athletics department need money. I'm sorry that that seemed to upset you. I'm just pointing out an ignorant demand (fire staff now!) that folks are asking for. Everything else is just good old fashioned ribbing about being a loser fan that knows more than the people in charge.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wins are the only thing. No one looks back and says " we played at an elite level losing to UGAg 52-0". or we played so much better losing to Clemp than last year.......well the only ones that do think that are the Collins cultists
Wins are not the only thing when assessing the progress of a program. Your name-calling doesn't give you any more credibility.

slugboy

Staff member
We'd be paying half what we would pay with a 7-year contract. 2 years as opposed to 4.

Half.
What makes you think that the buyout wouldn’t have been jacked up for the entire 5 years to compensate for the shorter contract? The entire point of the buyout is to give him enough time to “build his program”. There’s no way anyone was getting fired after year 3 unless it was for cause, not performance.

In short, fans want a contract that we can easily get out of after three years. That’s exactly the kind of contract that was never going to get signed

Animal02

Banned
What makes you think that the buyout wouldn’t have been jacked up for the entire 5 years to compensate for the shorter contract? The entire point of the buyout is to give him enough time to “build his program”. There’s no way anyone was getting fired after year 3 unless it was for cause, not performance.

In short, fans want a contract that we can easily get out of after three years. That’s exactly the kind of contract that was never going to get signed
Pretty stand for contracts to start at 5 years, and get incremental extensions. GC was NOT a proven coach. Giving him 7 years with no performance criteria was absurd.

Animal02

Banned
Wins are not the only thing when assessing the progress of a program. Your name-calling doesn't give you any more credibility.
Yes wins are the bench mark for judging a program. Everything else is excuse making. Doesn't matter if you gain 900 yards a game if you still only win 3 games a year. Rather comical you making any credibility claims.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I told people to do was to keep writing checks because we as an athletics department need money. I'm sorry that that seemed to upset you. I'm just pointing out on ignorant demand (fire staff now!) that folks are asking for. Everything else is just good old fashioned ribbing about being a loser fan that knows more than the people in charge.

Didn't upset me. Just hate people telling others how to be a "fan." We're all frustrated and, in the end, all want us to win. Unfortunate that our last three coaches have been ones that the entire fan based couldn't get behind, even when we would up in two Orange Bowls with one of them. Oh well. We're Georgia Tech, we can ***** like no others I guess..... ;)

Animal02

Banned
My problem with the insinuations being thrown about like candy last Sunday is that it impugns the dignity and intelligence of the money guys to say they're idiots.. They're also "our" idiots - if you all insist on calling them as such - and the gasoline for the engine of our AA.

No one in authority wants to lose. Sometimes people exert power (withholding $$ from CPJ because they don't see the longterm value of a strategy) but no one is intentionally hurting the program. The guys and girls who are stroking these checks, got their money and ability to do so, from being competitive, patient, smart and probably a bit lucky. I would agree there need to be some changes this offseason if we go winless from here.

Evaluation of new direction now is a fool's errand. We are getting better than we have been at the start of CGC's time here. What comes from the rest of the season will tell us where we are at, at a point in time where we would have viable options for improvement (plus a more full picture of where we really are). We are a few possessions/points away from being a 5-3 or 6-2 team right now and if we were the conversation would be a lot different.
And we were one procession away from winning most games in 2015......but that is held up as the benchmark of CPJ faire, and now used as the bench mark of GC's " success" Just because someone makes a lot of money and donates it, doesn't mean they aren't morons. I can point to all kinds of examples in other fields of the same stupidity. Would you be agreeable to tanking the program for the next two decades if someone contributed a billion dollars to AA because they demanded a certain way of doing things? If so, then anything less is just a matter of negotiation.....if no, then it is not acceptable what has happened in the last 3 years.

Animal02

Banned
With 4-6 losing seasons as the price to pay. No thank you. Collins hasn't proven he can coach a fat kid at buffet line. As for recruiting......there is 11 that have placed in the top 25 at least 4 of the last 5 years that are not ranked.....which is more than those that have and are.....it is a fools errand to have needlessly sacrificed all these years for a hope that has better than even odds of NOT happening.