Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The guys writing 'big checks' to the athletic administration have clout with the AD. They can influence coaching hire/fire decisions. But TStan isn't going to fire himself...

The Institute could hardly care less about donations to athletics. They won't share Roll Call contact lists with athletics, etc. I don't know that there are any big enough donors to the Institute that care enough about football to sway the President to fire an AD over football wins and losses. (When he's done a decent job on the things the Institute does care about.) The Institute and the GTRI are not hurting for cash. They're not firing an executive making close to seven figures because somebody withholds their $10k rollcall. I'd think it would have to be an eight figure donor, at least, to even have a conversation. If we had a bunch of eight figure donors who really cared about football, we wouldn't have the money issues that we do...

Unless y'all know something I don't?

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Look an AD who actually ask for fans opinions in an easy straight forward way. Not through some long confusing survey that they may or may not listen to. I'm not saying surveys are bad but asking for fans opinions using visuals is a good idea. Tstan has done better at asking the fans about their opinions compared to past ADs but he rarely listens to our responses. Wish the AD would actually ask and listen to us.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
1. He's a horrible communicator. I can't believe he hasn't been sent to a class to try and improve his communication skills. It is abysmal for someone in his position. I can barely listen to those podcasts he does and I'm a life long Tech fan.
2. He gave a 7 year contract to an unproven coach with a bad buyout and then let him turn the program into a clown show for three years. Then stood behind him after 3 3 wins seasons and 100-0 with "I've got my guy." They haven't released season ticket sales for this year, likely meaning they are very low, like 20,000 or less low. That is a direct shot at his hire and what he has done to the program.
3. Football and basketball are both in bad shape. I love Pastner in that I think his passion is real, not a used car salesman trying to blow smoke up my rear end. But, he needs to be more successful. Recruiting and retention have changed dramatically and we need to step up.
4. Big donors are noting that he has hitched himself to Collins. That is not where I would want to be, particularly with the schedule we have this year.
5. Poor decision on the sunglasses. :rolleyes:
6. I love the smaller sports. I contribute to the golf team as well as the AT Fund. Love Nel and what the softball team and volleyball team are doing. In the big scheme of things, those sports aren't going to save anyone's job.

I think Stansbury would likely be a great Number 2 guy. He appears to love Georgia Tech. He's worked his way up to get here. I just don't think he's made the best decisions at times. If we start 1-3 or similar and then lose to Pitt and/or Duke, it will most likely be a done deal that Collins is gone. Can Stansbury survive another 3 win type season in football? Not sure. Let's hope we win 6 or 7 and don't have to deal with those issues.

Who would replace him? I don't know. The guy at Clemson is staying there. He would've come here two years ago and was/is an up and comer in the industry, but no one is leaving Clemson to come to GT, even as an alum. Too much money and high profile with football there. And it is a great place to live, nice small town with the lake. Marvin Lewis maybe? Can he come back with the family situation? I guess if the wife doesn't want to work at Tech if he's AD?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The issue I have with TStan is based on one of my close friends who works at the AA and close to TStan. He has said, "TStan is laser-focused on fixing football". He's been "laser-focused for 3 years. It's the sports he is not "laser-focused" on that have done well.

To be honest, other than raising money ... I'm not sure TStan knows what to do. He made a major bet on generational change that is blowing up on his watch.I think the whole GTAA needs to be restructured ... maybe you keep him in some "Development" capacity, but as far as running the athletics programs, I think we need someone with more experience.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
1. He's a horrible communicator. I can't believe he hasn't been sent to a class to try and improve his communication skills. It is abysmal for someone in his position. I can barely listen to those podcasts he does and I'm a life long Tech fan.
2. He gave a 7 year contract to an unproven coach with a bad buyout and then let him turn the program into a clown show for three years. Then stood behind him after 3 3 wins seasons and 100-0 with "I've got my guy." They haven't released season ticket sales for this year, likely meaning they are very low, like 20,000 or less low. That is a direct shot at his hire and what he has done to the program.
3. Football and basketball are both in bad shape. I love Pastner in that I think his passion is real, not a used car salesman trying to blow smoke up my rear end. But, he needs to be more successful. Recruiting and retention have changed dramatically and we need to step up.
4. Big donors are noting that he has hitched himself to Collins. That is not where I would want to be, particularly with the schedule we have this year.
6. I love the smaller sports. I contribute to the golf team as well as the AT Fund. Love Nel and what the softball team and volleyball team are doing. In the big scheme of things, those sports aren't going to save anyone's job.

I think Stansbury would likely be a great Number 2 guy. He appears to love Georgia Tech. He's worked his way up to get here. I just don't think he's made the best decisions at times. If we start 1-3 or similar and then lose to Pitt and/or Duke, it will most likely be a done deal that Collins is gone. Can Stansbury survive another 3 win type season in football? Not sure. Let's hope we win 6 or 7 and don't have to deal with those issues.

Who would replace him? I don't know. The guy at Clemson is staying there. He would've come here two years ago and was/is an up and comer in the industry, but no one is leaving Clemson to come to GT, even as an alum. Too much money and high profile with football there. And it is a great place to live, nice small town with the lake. Marvin Lewis maybe? Can he come back with the family situation? I guess if the wife doesn't want to work at Tech if he's AD?
There's a lot to take issue with here, but I will focus on Pastner. He's had two consecutive recruiting cycles where we now have a deep and talented roster. And, who left the program (except to play professional basketball)? Didenko?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot to take issue with here, but I will focus on Pastner. He's had two consecutive recruiting cycles where we now have a deep and talented roster. And, who left the program (except to play professional basketball)? Didenko?

Agree on Pastner. I think/hope he's got it figured out. He wasn't expecting Alvarado and Wright to both leave and that crushed what could've been a Final Four team last year. Like I said, I like Pastner a lot. He's goofy, but in sort of a Cremins way. Collins is not. Stansbury is not either.

JacketFan137

Banned

i don’t know that the 7 year contract and buyout is really that bad relative to the rest of college football. i think that’s kinda the going rate for p5 coaches these days and it’s really devaluing arguments when people keep acting like we have the highest paid staff in the world

for example this article shows acc coaching contracts. collins is kinda in the middle back half of the conference and most of these contracts were inked pretty recently and all are done at about the same time.

it’s not a great contract and obviously he’s underperformed but i don’t think he is really making that much money (in the college football world. i would kill for 3 mil a year lol)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Look an AD who actually ask for fans opinions in an easy straight forward way. Not through some long confusing survey that they may or may not listen to. I'm not saying surveys are bad but asking for fans opinions using visuals is a good idea. Tstan has done better at asking the fans about their opinions compared to past ADs but he rarely listens to our responses. Wish the AD would actually ask and listen to us.

Just because he didn't do what you wanted him to do doesn't mean he's not listening. A leader is paid to make the decisions based upon information gathered. You think that the infantry would support a crazy idea like D-Day? No. It's suicide. But the generals looked at all the information and made an unemotional decision. Now yes, they have to live with the outcome, good or bad. But I'm almost positive that a minority of season ticket holders are on message boards and that outside of a small (under 20) number of folks in your section, you really don't know what season ticket holders think. Not knocking you, but 2 things can be true at once: he's listening to season ticket holders, but doing what he feels is best for the program. It just happens to be the opposite of what you'd like.
And the twitter question also allows non UT people to vote so, I'd take that with a grain of salt. Chances of seeing the different font on the field at UT is high.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
i don’t know that the 7 year contract and buyout is really that bad relative to the rest of college football. i think that’s kinda the going rate for p5 coaches these days and it’s really devaluing arguments when people keep acting like we have the highest paid staff in the world
Overpaid based on their qualifications does not equal highest paid, and nobody is acting like they are the highest paid.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Good summation. The ones that have his back may turn if we have a season like last year. Empty seats and blow outs speak volumes.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

7 year contract was horrible. I've talked to people in the industry as recently as last week. No one gets a 7 year contract, unless you're Saban, Dabo or Kirby. Should've been 5. If you have some success after Year 2, you can extend. When he came in Year 1 with a wide open/throwing offense and didn't really try to use the "talent" he had and what they could do well (run the ball), we all pretty much knew he was in trouble. Square peg, round hole. Add in The Citadel, Temple and then Clemson in Year 2 when they ran a hurry up while getting drilled by 70 rather than trying to run clock to continuously hand the ball back to Clemson, and you've got a lot of fans dropping out in Year 3. Lose to NIU in game 1, add in 100-0 and you've lost more fans and can't fire him because he has 4 more years.

7 year deal was horrendous and will cost us, just like the Hewitt deal cost us in basketball.

JacketFan137

Banned
7 year contract was horrible. I've talked to people in the industry as recently as last week. No one gets a 7 year contract, unless you're Saban, Dabo or Kirby. Should've been 5. If you have some success after Year 2, you can extend. When he came in Year 1 with a wide open/throwing offense and didn't really try to use the "talent" he had and what they could do well (run the ball), we all pretty much knew he was in trouble. Square peg, round hole. Add in The Citadel, Temple and then Clemson in Year 2 when they ran a hurry up while getting drilled by 70 rather than trying to run clock to continuously hand the ball back to Clemson, and you've got a lot of fans dropping out in Year 3. Lose to NIU in game 1, add in 100-0 and you've lost more fans and can't fire him because he has 4 more years.

7 year deal was horrendous and will cost us, just like the Hewitt deal cost us in basketball.
i’m not debating he’s a bad coach. you don’t need to waste your time saying what everyone knows at this point.

if you read the article i linked most of the contracts are 5, 6, 7 years. i really don’t know where your “industry source” is from cause the numbers are right there. collins contract isn’t good but if you want to employ a p5 coach right now i don’t think you’re gonna get them for less. at the time of his hire he was the 9th highest paid coach in the acc.

stansbury and collins have a lot of issues and leave a lot to be desired but this contract and buyout talk is silly at this point the way people complain. if that contract seems so outrageous it’s time to get out of p5 football cause we can’t afford to hire an actual coach

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I’m going to disagree with you and the post you disagreed with! :cool:

I don’t think 7 years is the norm for a new coach; especially one who is somewhat green. On that, we agree. The 7 year deal is for a proven commodity that you don’t want to lose. I haven’t scoured the internet for examples so I’m sure someone will graciously let me know how misguided I am. :D
We (rightly or wrongly; debated ad nauseum) gave a 7 year contract fully anticipating that we were going to need some time to build the team we wanted to be. If we had gone to another guy who was going to run a similar system, I don’t think 7 years would have been in the table. But we thought we had our guy (maybe we still do) and we knew we were going to revamp, and we knew that would take time, so we afforded it to him.
No one could’ve predicted NIL, which totally undermined the greatest asset we thought we had secured (recruiting). Throw in COVID chaos (again, the effects of which have been debated as nauseum) and it’s easy to crap on decisions in hindsight. I just hope all of that garbage is behind us and we start playing good football.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
i’m not debating he’s a bad coach. you don’t need to waste your time saying what everyone knows at this point.

if you read the article i linked most of the contracts are 5, 6, 7 years. i really don’t know where your “industry source” is from cause the numbers are right there. collins contract isn’t good but if you want to employ a p5 coach right now i don’t think you’re gonna get them for less. at the time of his hire he was the 9th highest paid coach in the acc.

stansbury and collins have a lot of issues and leave a lot to be desired but this contract and buyout talk is silly at this point the way people complain. if that contract seems so outrageous it’s time to get out of p5 football cause we can’t afford to hire an actual coach

"Industry source" is the head of an executive search firm that does coach and AD searches around the country, but primarily in the south (ACC/SEC). Had lunch with him and a major college coach last week. After, we discussed the Collins situation. He directly said that the 7 year contract was the wrong decision for an unproven coach. Perhaps for a proven coach you want to lock up, like noted above, who has been with you and you don't want to leave. But he told me when we hired Collins that it was a bad deal and a bad hire. Now, who the right hire would've been, he didn't say and I don't know.

Take it for what it's worth.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I’m going to disagree with you and the post you disagreed with! :cool:

I don’t think 7 years is the norm for a new coach; especially one who is somewhat green. On that, we agree. The 7 year deal is for a proven commodity that you don’t want to lose. I haven’t scoured the internet for examples so I’m sure someone will graciously let me know how misguided I am. :D
We (rightly or wrongly; debated ad nauseum) gave a 7 year contract fully anticipating that we were going to need some time to build the team we wanted to be. If we had gone to another guy who was going to run a similar system, I don’t think 7 years would have been in the table. But we thought we had our guy (maybe we still do) and we knew we were going to revamp, and we knew that would take time, so we afforded it to him.
No one could’ve predicted NIL, which totally undermined the greatest asset we thought we had secured (recruiting). Throw in COVID chaos (again, the effects of which have been debated as nauseum) and it’s easy to crap on decisions in hindsight. I just hope all of that garbage is behind us and we start playing good football.

We'll just have to disagree on it. I'd have given him 5 years. He had no leverage and this is a job he wanted. He wouldn't have turned it down. He came in and was clearly unprepared and now we're stuck for at least one more year. I get WHY he gave him the 7 year deal, it was just the wrong decision and that's on Stansbury.

Sort of like going into a car dealership (years ago, not now) and saying "what are you asking for that nice new shiny car? Full MSRP? Ok, let's do it! I think it's going to be great! No need to test drive it, I trust it will be great because you totally sold me on it!!"

Reactions: CEB

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
By itself, 7 years was not necessarily an issue. By itself, $3m/yr was not necessarily an issue. It was the combination of the two along with the buyout that was the issue.

7 years at a lower rate would have given Collins the same length of runway, allowed for more money to be spent on better assistants, and if he succeeded there would have been contract extensions/renegotiation.

Reactions: CEB
Status
Not open for further replies.