Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are a player in baseball.

Otherwise, depressingly true imho.
Also, women's sports: basketball, volleyball, softball, tennis, track.

I think TStan is safe. Every aspect of the GTAA looks solid except football. And the changes made in the offseason may bring improvement there as well. ADTS made the decision to keep Collins based on financial conditions and not his satisfaction with the program. The Hill knows that.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think it would take an exceptionally awful year for the bottom line for him to get fired. from my understanding he has at least got our financials a little bit more manageable. at the end of the day that is what will drive any decision made.

don’t really care either way though. just hope we have a decent replacement lined up if we do decide to move on

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I think TStan is doing a great job. He has forced several coaches (Hall, Pastner, Collins) to get rid of dead weight assistants and replace them with real coaches. This has and will continue to pay off.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bingo. The donors drove alot of the last coaching search, TStan hired Collins because that is who the boosters who were willing to open their pocket wanted.

I don't think TStan is in any serious jeopardy. He has improved the financial situation, made good coaching hires outside of FB (which was not 100% under his control) and is running a pretty clean department.

If the big donors really wanted to get rid of Collins they could have paid to make him go away since they paid to hire and support him. The fact he is still here should tell you that a majority of the important donors are not yet at a point to make a FB change and likely even at less of a place to make an AD change.

Our financial situation is our biggest problem, if there is no improvement in that area, sports that need significant funding will not improve.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think TStan is doing a great job. He has forced several coaches (Hall, Pastner, Collins) to get rid of dead weight assistants and replace them with real coaches. This has and will continue to pay off.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
i think it would take an exceptionally awful year for the bottom line for him to get fired. from my understanding he has at least got our financials a little bit more manageable. at the end of the day that is what will drive any decision made.

don’t really care either way though. just hope we have a decent replacement lined up if we do decide to move on
The current AD at Clemson is a GT grad. Went there with Radovich and then got the job when he went to Miami. May have to take a pay cut if he was willing to come back to Tech but living in Clemson isn't that exciting except on football Saturdays.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
This has been mentioned on some other threads. Also, I read an article on another site that basically took it for granted that CGC and TStan are likely gone after this year.

Unless I misunderstand, the hire/fire decision of an AD is up to the university Institute president. Personally, my impression was that Stansbury was in good standing with the administration. My read on the priorities of 'the hill' when it comes to Tech athletics is basically: don't embarrass the Institute with scandals, graduate your athletes, and be financially responsible. As far as I can tell, Stansbury has done a decent job on all those fronts. Better than his recent predecessors. I don't have the impression that football wins and losses is a firing consideration for Tech's AD, as it would be at UGA, Bama, and the like. Actually, I'm not aware of Tech ever firing an AD.

I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't be fired. Just wondering if anyone has a different impression of the situation or a real reason to think he might be fired?
I agree with your overall assessment that he's done a good job raising money and that will help him but the idea that the wins and losses of the football team have no impact on the decision to retain the AD is just silly and that's true for every P5 school not just the top 5 programs in the country.

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree with your overall assessment that he's done a good job raising money and that will help him but the idea that the wins and losses of the football team have no impact on the decision to retain the AD is just silly and that's true for every P5 school not just the top 5 programs in the country.
wins and losses don’t mean anything at all IF the money is being made. it just so happens that the way to make money is to win. if tech was making good money going 3-9 every year for the rest of time then the AD would be held on to

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that was TStan that "forced" them to do that. I think it was more of a I need more money type thing.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
wins and losses don’t mean anything at all IF the money is being made. it just so happens that the way to make money is to win. if tech was making good money going 3-9 every year for the rest of time then the AD would be held on to
There’s a lot of former ADs who were let go from profitable programs rich with cash whose programs didn’t win enough, but yeah, maybe you’re right

JacketFan137

Banned
There’s a lot of former ADs who were let go from profitable programs rich with cash whose programs didn’t win enough, but yeah, maybe you’re right
it’s kind of an extreme example because i don’t think you’re gonna retain season ticket holders and sell out the stadium going 3-9 (as we can see from personal experience lol) but at the end of the day 6-6 or 9-3 doesn’t mean as much to the AD and the decision makers if you’re making the same money. that’s why some colleges and professional teams are perfectly content to waste away in the doldrums of .500 ball since the cash flow from tv money is good.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
it’s kind of an extreme example because i don’t think you’re gonna retain season ticket holders and sell out the stadium going 3-9 (as we can see from personal experience lol) but at the end of the day 6-6 or 9-3 doesn’t mean as much to the AD and the decision makers if you’re making the same money. that’s why some colleges and professional teams are perfectly content to waste away in the doldrums of .500 ball since the cash flow from tv money is good.
Sure but our performance is below any standards that will retain the coach or AD if it isn't turned around. He may of done enough to retain his job even if Collins is let go but he will eventually be fired for lack of on field football success if we can't get back to the 7/8 win range that we've had for 20+ years. We aren't going to shrug our shoulders and say this is the new normal without making changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.