Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If I can't trust the man to pick out sunglasses... I cannot trust a man to pick a football coach. I'm over him. Been over him. Tech guys might like him, but we need someone who is willing to push the limits a little.
View attachment 12874
The previous president hired his man.

Join me in sending your opinion to current president that u demand serious athletics NOW.

JacketFan137

Banned
I demand winning athletics. Anything short of NATIONAL success is unacceptable.
depends on how you quantify national success but i think that may be an unrealistic goal. obviously a bowl game every year, competing in the coastal etc. are attainable goals but if you mean national success as in top 10-15 in football and a household name i don’t see how we could ever maintain that over multiple years without a serious cash influx from somewhere.

i think paul johnson having a great season every 3/4 years is a realistic goal and a lot of teams that make similar money to us have done so, but i don’t see us finishing top 15 two, three, four years in a row.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Collins and TStan are tied together. TStan tied his job to Collins performance when he gave him a 7 year deal. If Collins has another down year, both are gone.
TStan tied his job to Collins during the rear-end chewing at the end of last season. IF ... TStan is positioning himself by hiring AROUND Collins as a means to usher him out, I think he will likely stay. If it is clear that he is still letting Geoff call the shots (I don't see this), TStan will be gone and we will probably see him as AD at Marist.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
TStan tied his job to Collins during the rear-end chewing at the end of last season. IF ... TStan is positioning himself by hiring AROUND Collins as a means to usher him out, I think he will likely stay. If it is clear that he is still letting Geoff call the shots (I don't see this), TStan will be gone and we will probably see him as AD at Marist.
Imo,
tstan not backing down and giving Collins his full support - year 1, and covid year 2 was a reasonable thing.

tstan not being ready when Johnson retired right after getting a 3 (?) Year extension, can be excused.

Tstan quickly hiring an inexpensive sales type young head coach w a good defensive resume , is
Ok.

Tstan letting him hire HIS staff quickly was a huge mistake. A long term deal w painful buy out should have tied to no catastrophic performance in year 3.

Imo, tstan is now Not backing down as supervisor of head coach. Telling him to make clean sweep and to restart slowly w experienced asthma coaches that Key liked is a good thing.

Imo, he is not backing down by telling Collins he must put a strong defense on field this year. Collins has said its been good for "all of us" that I am in defensive huddles making sure players get the true meaning of instruction. Strong d and he stays w the staff another year.

I worry that tstan misses the money problem . Tstan has to soon start a fund raising to pay for the larger staff and more experienced staff AND head coach = if this group wins or losses badly, we need money for staff..

He needs to convince hill to hint that successful Profs attend games, etc.
And
Hill needs to lobby BOR for more flexibility in defining gt is a research institute.
Let kids on clearly path to graduate take courses at nearby school. ( Will Bryan got degree in BA in 4 years. HE loved physical training- he could have slowed and redshirt to be a super senior progress on ba and tested out his desire for training athletes.

Gt football future will be based on recruiting atl extended area to know many players. We can then welcome them back those that leave via the portal on path to being super senior.

JacketFan137

Banned
Imo,
tstan not backing down and giving Collins his full support - year 1, and covid year 2 was a reasonable thing.

tstan not being ready when Johnson retired right after getting a 3 (?) Year extension, can be excused.

Tstan quickly hiring an inexpensive sales type young head coach w a good defensive resume , is
Ok.

Tstan letting him hire HIS staff quickly was a huge mistake. A long term deal w painful buy out should have tied to no catastrophic performance in year 3.

Imo, tstan is now Not backing down as supervisor of head coach. Telling him to make clean sweep and to restart slowly w experienced asthma coaches that Key liked is a good thing.

Imo, he is not backing down by telling Collins he must put a strong defense on field this year. Collins has said its been good for "all of us" that I am in defensive huddles making sure players get the true meaning of instruction. Strong d and he stays w the staff another year.

I worry that tstan misses the money problem . Tstan has to soon start a fund raising to pay for the larger staff and more experienced staff AND head coach = if this group wins or losses badly, we need money for staff..

He needs to convince hill to hint that successful Profs attend games, etc.
And
Hill needs to lobby BOR for more flexibility in defining gt is a research institute.
Let kids on clearly path to graduate take courses at nearby school. ( Will Bryan got degree in BA in 4 years. HE loved physical training- he could have slowed and redshirt to be a super senior progress on ba and tested out his desire for training athletes.

Gt football future will be based on recruiting atl extended area to know many players. We can then welcome them back those that leave via the portal on path to being super senior.
definitely agree about the variety of majors. i don’t think a sports medicine major would be a dark mark on the school like i imagine some of the people on the hill believe it is.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
At some point doesn’t he have to improve the two biggest sports? He has been at Tech for 6 years and has yet to watch a football game or mens basketball game where Tech was ranked in the top 25.
But Covid and the triple option and an indifferent Administration and large percentage of foreign and/or disengaged students and so on..

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Gol
Golf team ranked in the top ten 19 times in the last 25 years. No other program has even been close to that. Heppler does a great job. Two All Americans on this year's team including two academic All Americans honors.
A coach who develops talent and finishes highly in the rankings. Refreshing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I can't trust the man to pick out sunglasses... I cannot trust a man to pick a football coach. I'm over him. Been over him. Tech guys might like him, but we need someone who is willing to push the limits a little.
View attachment 12874
My comment had nothing to do with whether I like him (which I do). It had everything to do with several conversations I have had in the past 9 months.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think TStan was willing to give him one more year to lower his buyout but they had a heart to heart about need to make changes in his staff and to lower the hype. No one wants to fire someone they hired unless their performance is adversely affecting his own career. It's not easy to disrupt someone's life. In business it's the bottom line. In coaching it's wins and losses.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think TStan was willing to give him one more year to lower his buyout but they had a heart to heart about need to make changes in his staff and to lower the hype. No one wants to fire someone they hired unless their performance is adversely affecting his own career. It's not easy to disrupt someone's life. In business it's the bottom line. In coaching it's wins and losses.
this makes sense. the most plausible thing i’ve seen is the theory that we basically had the money to fire him but after that we would have been caught with our pants down with insufficient funds to hire a quality coach. a decision was probably made that we run it back one last time with an upgraded staff and then we see what we can do when we can afford it.

ultimately though every poster on here (myself included) is all just tinfoil hat theorizing because none of us know what exactly is going on unless you are at the very top or know stansbury.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Bingo. The donors drove alot of the last coaching search, TStan hired Collins because that is who the boosters who were willing to open their pocket wanted.

I don't think TStan is in any serious jeopardy. He has improved the financial situation, made good coaching hires outside of FB (which was not 100% under his control) and is running a pretty clean department.

If the big donors really wanted to get rid of Collins they could have paid to make him go away since they paid to hire and support him. The fact he is still here should tell you that a majority of the important donors are not yet at a point to make a FB change and likely even at less of a place to make an AD change.
I believe Stansbury is under pressure and in jeopardy.

"Big Donors" is not one large homogenous body of like-minded people that act as one, it is made up of factions. There was a large enough faction that wanted the current football coach after 2018. But don't forget, there was a significant faction (there are more behind Garrett) that wanted the football coach gone last November after 9-25 and 100-0, and Stansbury refused publicly and staked his future on it. Stansbury himself denied that the money was not available to make a change after last season, it was his choice to keep him.

You must not forget The AJC Interview the week after the dwag game quoting Garrett and Zelnak:

“I think the fact that Todd has linked his career at Georgia Tech to Geoff’s success – and I think that’s really important to know that he did that – is a positive because certainly it indicates that the administration is all in with this working and willing to accept the consequences if it doesn’t,” Garrett said.
Garrett said he did see Stansbury’s further employment at Tech being contingent on the success of Collins’ own tenure.
“That’s certainly the way I see it,” Garrett said. “Didn’t he say, ‘I’ve got my man’? He’s got his man. He’s going to have to ride him.”

Stansbury chose to make his "I've got my man" statement publicly in the face of the faction that wanted change and alienated that faction, so essentially., "he bought that ticket, now he has to take the ride".

Binion over at FTRS wrote about change just yesterday.

It's primarily about the coach but he also references failures at the top of GTAA (particularly Clem saying it was GTAA who closed off the upper deck seating for the game at MBS). He says he has "good information that several significant donors are withholding all contributions to the GTAA until the administration changes". Later says "If the on-field results go the way that our numbers tell us they will, the pressure must be relieved by personnel changes that transform the top of the GTAA and the entire football program."

That's what you call "being in jeopardy". A 1-4 or 2-4 start might cost Stansbury in October (no $10.5 million buyout for his mid-season change), giving a new director the time to lay groundwork and start the back-channel coaching search, line up early December interviews, and choose. We'll learn in the next couple months which coalition of big donors has the critical mass if results continue to go south in the W-L record.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I believe Stansbury is under pressure and in jeopardy.

"Big Donors" is not one large homogenous body of like-minded people that act as one, it is made up of factions. There was a large enough faction that wanted the current football coach after 2018. But don't forget, there was a significant faction (there are more behind Garrett) that wanted the football coach gone last November after 9-25 and 100-0, and Stansbury refused publicly and staked his future on it. Stansbury himself denied that the money was not available to make a change after last season, it was his choice to keep him.

You must not forget The AJC Interview the week after the dwag game quoting Garrett and Zelnak:

“I think the fact that Todd has linked his career at Georgia Tech to Geoff’s success – and I think that’s really important to know that he did that – is a positive because certainly it indicates that the administration is all in with this working and willing to accept the consequences if it doesn’t,” Garrett said.
Garrett said he did see Stansbury’s further employment at Tech being contingent on the success of Collins’ own tenure.
“That’s certainly the way I see it,” Garrett said. “Didn’t he say, ‘I’ve got my man’? He’s got his man. He’s going to have to ride him.”

Stansbury chose to make his "I've got my man" statement publicly in the face of the faction that wanted change and alienated that faction, so essentially., "he bought that ticket, now he has to take the ride".

Binion over at FTRS wrote about change just yesterday.

It's primarily about the coach but he also references failures at the top of GTAA (particularly Clem saying it was GTAA who closed off the upper deck seating for the game at MBS). He says he has "good information that several significant donors are withholding all contributions to the GTAA until the administration changes". Later says "If the on-field results go the way that our numbers tell us they will, the pressure must be relieved by personnel changes that transform the top of the GTAA and the entire football program."

That's what you call "being in jeopardy". A 1-4 or 2-4 start might cost Stansbury in October (no $10.5 million buyout for his mid-season change), giving a new director the time to lay groundwork and start the back-channel coaching search, line up early December interviews, and choose. We'll learn in the next couple months which coalition of big donors has the critical mass if results continue to go south in the W-L record.
I agree that the future of our coach will be apparent by the end of October. TStan may be putting out his own feelers as well if things aren't going well.

slugboy

Staff member
Whether Stansbury has or deserves a hot seat or not, the smart criteria for judging an AD are:
  1. Is the Athletic Department overall headed in the correct direction? (not the football team, the entire AA, especially the "AA" part of it)
  2. Is the AD building and growing an organization towards continuous improvement? (like working out, you have a program, you work at it diligently, you push yourself but don't break yourself, you don't jump to another fad, and you get strong)
  3. Are they growing the staff to be a better and more capable staff?
  4. Will they not only leave the AA better than they found it, but their successor will also? (the AA doesn't fall apart when Stansbury leaves)
  5. Can you easily find and hire someone to do #1 through #4 better than the current AD?
  6. Is the disruption of #5 even worth it?
The AA was in great shape under Homer Rice. I'd say it was cutting edge under Rice. Before Stansbury took over, it had declined since those days. Stansbury has repaired some aspects of the AA, but there is a lot to repair. There are a lot of projects I'd like him to take on, but there may not be the energy and expertise to take them all on.

-----
FWIW, you could swap "<Athletic Department>" and "<AA>" for <Football Program> and <Football HC> or <Basketball Program> and <Basketball HC>. The HC is there to build a freight train that gains momentum and rolls down the track after they've moved on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whether Stansbury has or deserves a hot seat or not, the smart criteria for judging an AD are:
  1. Is the Athletic Department overall headed in the correct direction? (not the football team, the entire AA, especially the "AA" part of it)
  2. Is the AD building and growing an organization towards continuous improvement? (like working out, you have a program, you work at it diligently, you push yourself but don't break yourself, you don't jump to another fad, and you get strong)
  3. Are they growing the staff to be a better and more capable staff?
  4. Will they not only leave the AA better than they found it, but their successor will also? (the AA doesn't fall apart when Stansbury leaves)
  5. Can you easily find and hire someone to do #1 through #4 better than the current AD?
  6. Is the disruption of #5 even worth it?
The AA was in great shape under Homer Rice. I'd say it was cutting edge under Rice. Before Stansbury took over, it had declined since those days. Stansbury has repaired some aspects of the AA, but there is a lot to repair. There are a lot of projects I'd like him to take on, but there may not be the energy and expertise to take them all on.

-----
FWIW, you could swap "<Athletic Department>" and "<AA>" for <Football Program> and <Football HC> or <Basketball Program> and <Basketball HC>. The HC is there to build a freight train that gains momentum and rolls down the track after they've moved on.
Great post!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I believe Tstan is in big trouble and not only for fball.Basketball is a weak sister also.Pastner has had ONE good yr 2 seasons ago in 5 by making the NCAAs --finally.Last yr was a bust and this yr will probably be worse with a small team and the 2 best (by FAR) players gone. Maybe Tstan has a plan but there is a LOT of heat coming with both your big sports are near bottom of league and money drying up..

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that the future of our coach will be apparent by the end of October. TStan may be putting out his own feelers as well if things aren't going well.
Actually I believe he'd better have a fallback plan at the ready right now. If it becomes apparent that a coaching change will be necessary (like a 1-4 or 2-4 record in October) Stansbury may be the first to go at that time. He doesn't have the coach's buyout protection.

If the coach is going to be fired, I don't see the big donors allowing Stansbury to be the one to make the next choice. Since a coaching hire would need to occur in December, and Stansbury won't be the one to make the hire, his replacement will need to be in place a couple months in advance (reinforcing the October date) to lay the groundwork for his organization, and begin back-channel contacts with representatives of their short list of candidates to line up interviews for the days after the dwag game. The next coach could hit the ground running in December. Waiting to change the AD until December means a coaching hire may not be made before February or March as the AD search drags on first.

Status
Not open for further replies.