Stansbury comments on season tickets

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot of date tickets where used back in the 60's so that almost doubled the attendance in the student section.
The demographics of the Tech student body have changed considerably over the years. When I was in school in the 60s, you had to fight to get into the games, and the student section was ALWAYS full. But back then, the majority of the students were from Georgia and nearby states. Now, students not only come from all over the country, but from all over the world, and since it's harder to get into Tech now than it was back in the 60s, the students are largely not interested in sports of any kind. I doubt that a similar demographic change has happened in Athens.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That obviously can't hurt, but the fact still remains, that apparently, even though IMO Tech is much easier now than it was in the past (harder to get in, but easier to get out), Tech students of today are just more interested in other things. The frats could help more than they do, but even so, I don't know that the percentage of frat members is nearly as high as it was in the past. As geeky and nerdy as Tech students were when I was in school, we had still all come up through high schools where football was big. HS football is not as big now as it was back then, so I think fewer students, at least at Tech, have that that to provide an impetus to go to games.
My frat required us to attend the games and I was in the last mandatory Rat cap freshman class. Those were some bad seats.

slugboy

Staff member
A lot of date tickets where used back in the 60's so that almost doubled the attendance in the student section.
Date tickets started fading out in the 80s. One fraternity set up dates with a sorority from FSU (I think??), and that did not go over well.

My frat required us to attend the games and I was in the last mandatory Rat cap freshman class. Those were some bad seats.
Not sure when you were there.....sounds like maybe mid to late 70s. When I was in school in the 60s, the rats sat in temporary bleachers placed on the (no longer existent) track. Yeah, in one sense those were bad seats, but it put us right on top of the opposing team's bench, and for the '62 Bama game, IMO that was the best seat in the house. We gave the Bama players hell the entire game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure when you were there.....sounds like maybe mid to late 70s. When I was in school in the 60s, the rats sat in temporary bleachers placed on the (no longer existent) track. Yeah, in one sense those were bad seats, but it put us right on top of the opposing team's bench, and for the '62 Bama game, IMO that was the best seat in the house. We gave the Bama players hell the entire game.
Mid 60's. 1964 fall quarter. Sat in the bleachers where the players come out. I ran on that track. That was last school year of mandatory Rat rules. Also Skiles Classroom building clock was made to look like a Mickey mouse clock. Miracle no one was killed stealing the whistle or the T.

Mid 60's. 1964 fall quarter. Sat in the bleachers where the players come out. I ran on that track. That was last school year of mandatory Rat rules. Also Skiles Classroom building clock was made to look like a Mickey mouse clock. Miracle no one was killed stealing the whistle or the T.
I didn't realize they stopped mandatory rat rules that soon. I do remember the Skiles clock. That was hilarious.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA maxing out at 1000 fans. Therefore... only allowing family of players & staff into games.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Clemson put cushioned seats for everyone, to indicate and keep social distancing spacing.
04EA717C-69C9-4A87-8731-E20D96609E3E.jpeg
BF1C5217-37A9-4939-8868-0E3475D8BB7C.jpeg

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
What kind of dumb ish is that? You will have people riding in the same car with tickets together that have to sit 6 feet apart from each other? They can't figure out how to do blocks? Morons.
Does that mean they won't even allow families to sit together?

If you blow up the image you can see seats in the lower middle that are more than just a pair. Don't shoot the messenger.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I remember videos from a few years ago where they did football clinics for international students. The coaches talked to them about the game. They went on the field with players to throw, catch, tackle dummies, etc. Hopefully they still do that. (Not this year obviously) It seems like a good idea to me. Teach them the rules. Let them interact with the coaches and the players. If they attend a game, they will likely recognize the players that they were throwing to or catching from and be interested. Heck they might even find someone from South America, Africa, or Europe that can kick the ball out of the back of the end zone.
This is the very reason why GTAA should have men's and women's soccer as supported sports.