Stansbury comments on season tickets

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well... another question (or way to look at it)... No chance UGA or Clemson fan base pays that with GT equivalent performance. When/if Ga Tech strings together 9 or 10 win seasons for a long sustained period, the [Atlanta] market will respond & folks who want the BDS experience will be forced to pay to meet increased demand.

The mutts had mediocre/bad times in the mid-90s under Goff and slightly above average years in the late 90s with Donnovan. I don't remember the number of mutt flags and yard statues of English bulldogs disappearing. I do remember stores still being filled with mutt swag. Their fans got irate and wanted change, but it didn't affect their swag sales or interest.

Clemson had mediocre/bad years from the early 90s through mid 2000s. Their stadium was still usually full. They still sold swag. I didn't check, but they probably still got big donations.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta/GT fans love a winner.

If we keep bringing in studs every year, put an exciting product on the field and start winning 9-10 a year consistenfly, fans will start coming and prices will increase.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Well... another question (or way to look at it)... No chance UGA or Clemson fan base pays that with GT equivalent performance. When/if Ga Tech strings together 9 or 10 win seasons for a long sustained period, the [Atlanta] market will respond & folks who want the BDS experience will be forced to pay to meet increased demand.
That goes along with what I’m saying though. I just don’t see our current fan base/demographic forking over the money if/when we get to that sustained level. And maybe part of that level of success is also a chicken/egg scenario...which needs to come first? The success, or the money from the fan base? Clemson and UGA both had people lining up to fork over money to the programs even during times they weren’t successful/before they were successful. What if the insane amounts of money are needed BEFORE the sustained success comes? Is our current fan base, the one that predominantly complains about the quality of our merchandise (yet also doesn’t buy it unless it’s on close out sale), or about FREE items given to game attendees or season ticket holders, going to pony up money to get us successful? I don’t see it.

I often wonder how our fan base will react if we get good/stay good to the point that demand for our tickets pushes prices more toward those of a Clemson, or UGA, or Auburn, etc. Where you have to “donate” hundreds or thousands a year on top of the ticket prices just to get season tickets anywhere in the stadium. Our “get in” prices are so ridiculously cheap compared to that of high profile programs that it’s laughable sometimes, and yet we as a fan base seem to complain about everything. If we were paying what it takes to get a season ticket inside Sanford, I could at least understand the complaints. But we pay for a season what most of them are willing to pay for a game. Just look at their season ticket requirements this year...to get tickets to all home games in Sanford this year, isn’t the donor requirement $250,000 and above? A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS paid in to the program lifetime, above and beyond ticket prices, just to get all home games? And they will still have people fighting for those tickets. I don’t think we could ever get the current fan base to that level, even if we went undefeated for 10 years in a row.
Heck, we have ST holders now who are able to get tickets without contributing anything at all. Do other schools have sections like those that you can get in at Tech with no contribution owed at all?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Heck, we have ST holders now who are able to get tickets without contributing anything at all. Do other schools have sections like those that you can get in at Tech with no contribution owed at all?
I think that’s pretty easy to figure out. If $8000 a year gets you barely to the 10-15 yard line at Clemson, and $20,000+ a year gets you to about the 35 yard line at UGA (friend of mine that’s done that for 20+ years...I’ve sat with him when GT/UGA plays in Sanford), you tell me if anyone contributes nothing over the ticket cost to get season tickets at those places.

I think that’s pretty easy to figure out. If $8000 a year gets you barely to the 10-15 yard line at Clemson, and $20,000+ a year gets you to about the 35 yard line at UGA (friend of mine that’s done that for 20+ years...I’ve sat with him when GT/UGA plays in Sanford), you tell me if anyone contributes nothing over the ticket cost to get season tickets at those places.
That's what I figured. I guess if I had that kind of money, I might do the same, but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money. When DRad started the ticket fee, the upper east went from being near capacity each week to about 50% what it had been just the year before. I did not move; I was willing to pay what was required to keep my seats, but if it had been at the levels of what other schools, I would have been unable to attend any longer. I griped about it, but I griped more about the people who just quit coming altogether. I can't figure out how all those rednecks who didn't even graduate from either school can afford those fees.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
For reference a young alum I know was just saying she has 65ish AT points and that put her in the top 9,000 people. That’s probably less than $6k lifetime donations to AT or Techfund. How is it that she is that high with that little lifetime donation?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
That's what I figured. I guess if I had that kind of money, I might do the same, but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money. When DRad started the ticket fee, the upper east went from being near capacity each week to about 50% what it had been just the year before. I did not move; I was willing to pay what was required to keep my seats, but if it had been at the levels of what other schools, I would have been unable to attend any longer. I griped about it, but I griped more about the people who just quit coming altogether. I can't figure out how all those rednecks who didn't even graduate from either school can afford those fees.
Probably not as analytical or as wise with money. But they will spend it. I know of a guy who literally went $12,000 in debt to take his family to see UGA play Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl a couple of years ago. He’s not alone in doing things like that. Not many GT fans are going to do something like that I don’t feel though.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
For reference a young alum I know was just saying she has 65ish AT points and that put her in the top 9,000 people. That’s probably less than $6k lifetime donations to AT or Techfund. How is it that she is that high with that little lifetime donation?

Most Tech fans are content to ride the coattails of the deep pockets. You ever notice how many people stand outside the stadium holding 2 fingers up hoping someone gives them free tickets?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

There used to be a program for students and young alumni called the 1st & 10 Program. It allowed students and young alumni to gain credit for more than what they donated. If a student donated $15 a year for 5 years and then scaled up to $100 a year five years after getting out they got AT Points for $150 a year. If they got season ticket for the 5 years after getting out, they got 2 points a year. Five years after graduation, they would have 55 points.

They have discontinued that program, but they have the Young Jackets Club for students and young alumni, which they say has similar benefits. I haven't seen the actual AT Points that can be gained in that program.

This makes sense to me. The idea is to get students used to donating and attending games. $15 a year isn't too much to ask of a student. Get them used to giving and hope they continue.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can't figure out how all those rednecks who didn't even graduate from either school can afford those fees.

There are plenty of people who can't afford much of anything that spend way too much on mutt tickets and mutt paraphernalia. However, as much as we hate to recognize it there are plenty of people who graduated from there who have money. There are also people and/or businesses with money who spend a lot on the mutts to entertain clients. If you remember the mutt-ND game a few years ago, the television showed a local airport with private jets stacked almost on top of each other. According to the TV announcers they were mostly planes that mutt fans flew in to get to the game. Even if you are using a private jet service, you can't just put $12,000 on a credit card and get a private jet to fly you to the game, wait for you, and fly you back.

It is fun to believe that none of the mutt fans who spend lots of money on the team can't afford it, but it just isn't factual.

There are plenty of people who can't afford much of anything that spend way too much on mutt tickets and mutt paraphernalia. However, as much as we hate to recognize it there are plenty of people who graduated from there who have money. There are also people and/or businesses with money who spend a lot on the mutts to entertain clients. If you remember the mutt-ND game a few years ago, the television showed a local airport with private jets stacked almost on top of each other. According to the TV announcers they were mostly planes that mutt fans flew in to get to the game. Even if you are using a private jet service, you can't just put $12,000 on a credit card and get a private jet to fly you to the game, wait for you, and fly you back.

It is fun to believe that none of the mutt fans who spend lots of money on the team can't afford it, but it just isn't factual.
Well, it's obvious that doctors and lawyers make a helluva lot more money than the majority of engineers, but not all of the mutt fans are doctors and lawyers, and I bet the majority of those at the cesspool each weekend didn't even go to school there, if anywhere at all.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

There’s that too. Definitely a lot of people with money that are UGA fans. And like you said, lots of companies that spend money on UGA sports to advertise/entertain clients. After all, in GA, it’s the college team most people want to see. Look at Coca Colas massive tailgate they do for each home game (I have been told by Coke they aren’t doing it this year, even before the details of fan restrictions were released). Coke spend that much on us, even though they are basically across the street?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
There used to be a program for students and young alumni called the 1st & 10 Program. It allowed students and young alumni to gain credit for more than what they donated. If a student donated $15 a year for 5 years and then scaled up to $100 a year five years after getting out they got AT Points for $150 a year. If they got season ticket for the 5 years after getting out, they got 2 points a year. Five years after graduation, they would have 55 points.

They have discontinued that program, but they have the Young Jackets Club for students and young alumni, which they say has similar benefits. I haven't seen the actual AT Points that can be gained in that program.

This makes sense to me. The idea is to get students used to donating and attending games. $15 a year isn't too much to ask of a student. Get them used to giving and hope they continue.
Good insight there and thanks for the information

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, it's obvious that doctors and lawyers make a helluva lot more money than the majority of engineers, but not all of the mutt fans are doctors and lawyers, and I bet the majority of those at the cesspool each weekend didn't even go to school there, if anywhere at all.

I agree there are a lot of people who didn't attend college that are mutt fans. I do agree that there are a lot of scum that have no money and no pride in themselves that are mutt fans.

I am just pointing out that there is also a lot of big money there. Another advantage their sports programs have is that sports is part of the culture of the campus. Students go to the games. Students remember the games and parties. At GT it isn't. Sure the fraternities have alumni return and have parties, but I have heard from plenty of students who think that the games are just an annoyance. They have to move their cars. They have to put up with big crowds on campus. Later in life when those students start companies and become wealthy, they don't have the same fond memories of sports as mutt graduates. I don't have any actual statistics or data, but my feeling is that the mutts have a much larger percentage of their students emotionally invested in athletics. They have a larger enrollment. There is a much larger chance that alumni from there who become wealthy are going to want to support athletics.

If I knew how to get students more interested, I would make suggestions. Pastner did a good job of getting students to the games his first couple of years. I believe Collins is trying hard now.(at least before COVID) I believe he is trying to drum up interest even after COVID limitations.

There’s that too. Definitely a lot of people with money that are UGA fans. And like you said, lots of companies that spend money on UGA sports to advertise/entertain clients. After all, in GA, it’s the college team most people want to see. Look at Coca Colas massive tailgate they do for each home game (I have been told by Coke they aren’t doing it this year, even before the details of fan restrictions were released). Coke spend that much on us, even though they are basically across the street?
I think they probably once did, but back when they did, they didn't really spend all that much on either school, compared to what they spend in 2020.

I agree there are a lot of people who didn't attend college that are mutt fans. I do agree that there are a lot of scum that have no money and no pride in themselves that are mutt fans.

I am just pointing out that there is also a lot of big money there. Another advantage their sports programs have is that sports is part of the culture of the campus. Students go to the games. Students remember the games and parties. At GT it isn't. Sure the fraternities have alumni return and have parties, but I have heard from plenty of students who think that the games are just an annoyance. They have to move their cars. They have to put up with big crowds on campus. Later in life when those students start companies and become wealthy, they don't have the same fond memories of sports as mutt graduates. I don't have any actual statistics or data, but my feeling is that the mutts have a much larger percentage of their students emotionally invested in athletics. They have a larger enrollment. There is a much larger chance that alumni from there who become wealthy are going to want to support athletics.

If I knew how to get students more interested, I would make suggestions. Pastner did a good job of getting students to the games his first couple of years. I believe Collins is trying hard now.(at least before COVID) I believe he is trying to drum up interest even after COVID limitations.
The demographics of the Tech student body have changed considerably over the years. When I was in school in the 60s, you had to fight to get into the games, and the student section was ALWAYS full. But back then, the majority of the students were from Georgia and nearby states. Now, students not only come from all over the country, but from all over the world, and since it's harder to get into Tech now than it was back in the 60s, the students are largely not interested in sports of any kind. I doubt that a similar demographic change has happened in Athens.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

There is definitely also the cultural difference about sports that you speak of. Sports are a huge part of the overall more social culture of attending UGA. GT, not so much. Students cover up the football and even the basketball games at UGA, even when the basketball opponents are low quality teams. I do attend my fair share of sporting events at UGA as guests of customers and vendors (always pulling for whoever UGA is playing). Sometimes it’s shocking at how much more engaged the student body as a whole is compared to ours. It seems they show up and show out for anything UGA sports related.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The demographics of the Tech student body have changed considerably over the years. When I was in school in the 60s, you had to fight to get into the games, and the student section was ALWAYS full. But back then, the majority of the students were from Georgia and nearby states. Now, students not only come from all over the country, but from all over the world, and since it's harder to get into Tech now than it was back in the 60s, the students are largely not interested in sports of any kind. I doubt that a similar demographic change has happened in Athens.

I remember videos from a few years ago where they did football clinics for international students. The coaches talked to them about the game. They went on the field with players to throw, catch, tackle dummies, etc. Hopefully they still do that. (Not this year obviously) It seems like a good idea to me. Teach them the rules. Let them interact with the coaches and the players. If they attend a game, they will likely recognize the players that they were throwing to or catching from and be interested. Heck they might even find someone from South America, Africa, or Europe that can kick the ball out of the back of the end zone.

I remember videos from a few years ago where they did football clinics for international students. The coaches talked to them about the game. They went on the field with players to throw, catch, tackle dummies, etc. Hopefully they still do that. (Not this year obviously) It seems like a good idea to me. Teach them the rules. Let them interact with the coaches and the players. If they attend a game, they will likely recognize the players that they were throwing to or catching from and be interested. Heck they might even find someone from South America, Africa, or Europe that can kick the ball out of the back of the end zone.
That obviously can't hurt, but the fact still remains, that apparently, even though IMO Tech is much easier now than it was in the past (harder to get in, but easier to get out), Tech students of today are just more interested in other things. The frats could help more than they do, but even so, I don't know that the percentage of frat members is nearly as high as it was in the past. As geeky and nerdy as Tech students were when I was in school, we had still all come up through high schools where football was big. HS football is not as big now as it was back then, so I think fewer students, at least at Tech, have that that to provide an impetus to go to games.