Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe he just wasn't that politically astute and was brutally honest to a fault. Handwriting was on the wall after 100-0 last year. He should have been planning on how to get out of this situation with as little damage as possible. Must be going down with the ship if rumors are correct.

Maybe he assessed the situation and wisely decided he didn't want to do all that. I don't think it is a good job in that profession tbh.At some point, the pain just isn't worth it anymore.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok, but who is the great football coach out there with Tech ties? O'Brien? Godsey? Tashard?

That's a good question. Since we spent 11 years under CPJ, (donors are gonna veto those former assistants), and coaches with ties to CGC (other than perhaps Choice) are going to be toxic for a while, you really have to go back to the CCG and GOL days to find coaches with Tech ties. O-Brien is probably the best of that bunch as Godsey is almost purely an NFL guy now. Maybe in a few years another former player or two develops into a coaching wunderkind and we can get him to come back home, but right now I don't know that we should be worried about Tech ties as there probably aren't all that many out there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ugh...I really hate all of this.

I was young when Bill Lewis was fired but what bothered me most, even at that age, was knowing the program was not in good shape. Almost 30 years later, GT is going through it again, but this time there isn't a parachute on the staff like we had with George O'Leary (although that's hindsight...as I had no clue who O'Leary was). When Gailey was fired, at least I knew it was because he didn't win enough, not because our program was in shambles. Luckily, in my 30+ years as a GT fan, I've only seen 2 GT football coaches fired...now it will be 3.

There's about to be a giant turning of this program with the firing of CGC and Stansbury (rumored). If we make the right decisions, the pain will be temporary (2-3 years). If we make the wrong decisions, it could be a nuclear winter that will affect all of our sports programs...much like the years we wandered the desert after leaving the SEC.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Ugh...I really hate all of this.

I was young when Bill Lewis was fired but what bothered me most, even at that age, was knowing the program was not in good shape. Almost 30 years later, GT is going through it again, but this time there isn't a parachute on the staff like we had with George O'Leary (although that's hindsight...as I had no clue who O'Leary was). When Gailey was fired, at least I knew it was because he didn't win enough, not because our program was in shambles. Luckily, in my 30+ years as a GT fan, I've only seen 2 GT football coaches fired...now it will be 3.

There's about to be a giant turning of this program with the firing of CGC and Stansbury (rumored). If we make the right decisions, the pain will be temporary (2-3 years). If we make the wrong decisions, it could be a nuclear winter that will affect all of our sports programs...much like the years we wandered the desert after leaving the SEC.

I don’t think this will necessarily impact our other sports. Most of them have pretty good coaches in place. We can argue back-and-forth about Pastner, but hopefully he gets that turned around. I think this is purely a football situation right now.

slugboy

Staff member
Since it's a done decision, I can at least shout into the ether* about what I'd like from our next AD.

• Make it easy to be a fan and donor. We had games at McCamish that showed only a few seats in the back when I went to buy tickets, but there were plenty of seats on TV. Please make it easy to get butts in seats.
  • Almost anyone else who wants a donation has "Donate" on their home page. We have "A-T Fund" and then another site, then "Donate" and then a four page process to donate money. Why not "Donate with Amazon Pay"/"Donate with PayPal"/etc.?
Making things easy is a hard thing to do. But it's worth doing. If we want fans and donors, let's make it easier to be fans and donors.

*ether in the old poetic sense and not in the Hunter S Thompson sense

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

The prez better lead.
Last guy was teflon - on to another meeting while we lived w giant debt and bottom of acc donations.

Football has withered from the top - blaming cpj for not being public relations guru, ghen hiring pr guru who can't coach. Shop at bargin basement store and u end up in basement.
Each part of gt needs to be marshalled to help rejuvenate tech football.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Dance GIF

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Nothing happened until Sports Illustrated, TV talking heads and the press got behind the “what-the-heck-is-Tech-waiting-for” inquiry of Tech fans. What it means is that the powers that be do not like bad, national media about Georgia Tech, as it tarnishes the image of the school overall.
The ridicule is what finally moved the needle. GT’s leadership and major power brokers do not like GT being mocked incessantly, even if it’s just for dumb crap like football. Does not jive with the super smart persona we like to project. Getting beat’s ok, being dumb is not permissible.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Since it's a done decision, I can at least shout into the ether* about what I'd like from our next AD.

• Make it easy to be a fan and donor. We had games at McCamish that showed only a few seats in the back when I went to buy tickets, but there were plenty of seats on TV. Please make it easy to get butts in seats.
  • Almost anyone else who wants a donation has "Donate" on their home page. We have "A-T Fund" and then another site, then "Donate" and then a four page process to donate money. Why not "Donate with Amazon Pay"/"Donate with PayPal"/etc.?
Making things easy is a hard thing to do. But it's worth doing. If we want fans and donors, let's make it easier to be fans and donors.

*ether in the old poetic sense and not in the Hunter S Thompson sense
With ideas like them, I understand why you never got the job!

For anyone looking at fundraising and bemoaning our lot in life, go see what Wake’s been doing. They raced right by GT like we were standing still the last 10 years. It can be done. We just didn’t and that’s why we’re here today.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
BESIDES FOOTBALL, I hope the new AD continues what Todd started. AI2020 was a success and I hope we finish the Edge Center renovation. When it comes to football, we’re gonna need this new AD to step up.
That means you are going to need an AD experienced with major project construction. I think we need a legit AD ... not a rookie.