Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Not so fast. The AD is supposed to relieve the coach of his duties. Is this suggesting the Board did? If the Board moved a date up by 2 weeks, then yes ... TStan is out as AD.

I could see a role for him in Development and it always sucks to let a loyal employee go in their 50s. His ego may get the better of him and he'll quit to become AD at Troy or Cleveland State.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
its probably the guy that has Assistant Head Coach as his title, which would be Brent Key
And we recently brought in an experienced ol coach/analyst.

Imo this plan has been in place should cgc and team Embarrass.

I expect that the hard practices that started after ole miss slaughter will continue. Guys on defense looked better.

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't find his post but somebody made observation that our punter was not 15yds deep...more like 13yds.
I re-watched vid and, yup, our punter is not typical 15 behind LOS...then he has an 3 step motion so he's kicking the ball from about 11-12yds deep..
Long Snap guy can best comment but has depth of punter anything to do with snapper talent.. or has depth changed in 2022 football? (vsersus Dark Ages, when we palyed? LOL)
And our protection blocking is abysmal.....

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Only at GT could we get our fanbase so excited to be firing our HC and AD, only to announce Key as interim plus have nobody for AD and everyone goes back to complaining about how GT completely botched the transition.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess my hesitance with Key is this:

1. Will he be that much better than Collins that it will be worth the extra $3mil?
2. The OL has not been playing well up to this point since Key was hired. Now that the whole team is his responsibility, how can we expect the OL to look any better?
3. The defense was starting to look better. With Collins gone, do we expect Thacker to do a better job running the defense without Collins’ guidance?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Rumored where? The answer can't be "the internet" or Twitter.
I like the Internet...... Twitter, not so much, the people are too bot like.....
Game GIF

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess my hesitance with Key is this:

1. Will he be that much better than Collins that it will be worth the extra $3mil?
2. The OL has not been playing well up to this point since Key was hired. Now that the whole team is his responsibility, how can we expect the OL to look any better?
3. The defense was starting to look better. With Collins gone, do we expect Thacker to do a better job running the defense without Collins’ guidance?
1 Maybe 2 No 3 No worse. Main thing is preserve recruiting

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That 2019 class is much lower now with transfers. Any up date to the stats or are they current?

Collins gets credit for bringing them in and losing to chase them away.
It's just what 247 reports. Attrition and transfer isn't included in that data source. https://collegefootballdata.com/exporter/recruiting/teams?team=Georgia Tech

From 247 directly, 2021 had a rank 17 of transfer, but I don't really know how accurate that is in practice.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not common because it puts not only more responsibility on the coach/AD but also puts more of a burden on the president. Plus it gives the football coach less accountability than the basketball coach who now reports to him. The last thing a Tech coach needs is to have to worry about all the non-football sports in addition to all the responsibilities for football.
Agreed but it would give more money that could be paid to a head coach and it might be appealing to some coaches in that they would be running their own show without having to report to anyone basically. We need a gd coach. I do not feel that sorry for Collins. He was very fortunate to make the money he has made (and will make) given his performance. Do you feel sorry for a CEO that runs a company into the ground?

Key being named interim head coach is fine and what I expected. He is the Assistant Head Coach after all. Stansbury? I know he somewhat had to tie himself to Collins - but it would appear (and I am not in the know BTW) that instead of saying "Collins will be given som time to prove himself" instead was quoted as taking strong statements more like "I have my man". For that reason, I would guess he will be gone as well. TS has done some good stuff but his money makers (football and basketball) have failed and ultimately that is a failure of 90% of his performance because they are what counts.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I can't find his post but somebody made observation that our punter was not 15yds deep...more like 13yds.
I re-watched vid and, yup, our punter is not typical 15 behind LOS...then he has an 3 step motion so he's kicking the ball from about 11-12yds deep..
Long Snap guy can best comment but has depth of punter anything to do with snapper talent.. or has depth changed in 2022 football? (vsersus Dark Ages, when we palyed? LOL)
I think we are playing a backup long snapper. The snaps haven't been good at the current depth, maybe we honestly can't go deeper.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Only at GT could we get our fanbase so excited to be firing our HC and AD, only to announce Key as interim plus have nobody for AD and everyone goes back to complaining about how GT completely botched the transition.
TBH, I haven't been this excited about Tech football since Doug Weaver and Pepper Rogers left.

GT121314

Georgia Tech Fan

Think I heard either during the game or the post-game presser that the long snapper in the last few games has been the back up. He might not be able to hit a full 15 yards on a long snap. Not defending anyone, but a possibility as to why the punter is lined up closer to the line than other teams.

Still no excuse for only having two blockers down by the punter. Surprised no change to three was made after the first two blocked punts during the Clemson game

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
The irony of all this is the firing comes after we played one of Collins' best games ever in his time at GT. We were in the game almost to the end. Had we not been so poorly coached, we may have won.
That’s the worst part. Kids played well in about half of the phases. But this is year 4. You gotta be able to punt protect.

slugboy

Staff member
Can he figure out a punt alignment that won’t have a punt a game blocked? Would be a great start.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like our four punts blocked in four games like that. It's as close to coaching malpractice as I can recall.

That 2019 class is much lower now with transfers. Any up date to the stats or are they current?

Collins gets credit for bringing them in and losing to chase them away.

From The Rumble Seat did a series on that. 2019 had a lot of players go on medical or transfer out. It hasn't panned out nearly as well as the 2007 class did. We've also had players transfer in.

You can't expect every player you recruit to pan out, so simply counting the players who didn't pan out will give an overly negative view. The idea of the "Team Composite Talent Index" that 247 does should get you in the neighborhood, where we're either the best of the middle or just on the outside of the more talented teams in conference. We haven't played anywhere close to that, though.

We're not getting the best performance out of our players. I just said I'd never seen anything like the failures on our punting unit. Aside from the Falcons' running back in the super bowl, I've never seen missed blocks like we're missing them, either. Whether you call them mental lapses or coaching or any of a dozen other things, we're shooting ourselves in the foot like no team in recent memory.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
If ADTS is out, I would expect the new AD to have/want input into the new coach decision. It could be a while before the interim coach has a replacement named.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OK, some sensible (I anoint myself as sensible) analysis:

Marvin Lewis left Tech to get a great job at Brown. If there were any dark secrets about his leaving, I never heard them. I believe he would be a logical choice for AD if Stansbury is leaving.
Tech is more likely to allow Stansbury to resign and leave gracefully than to fire him. Except for football, the other GT sports are doing very well. The coaches in those other sports might see this as very negative to their position at Tech. We want to stop the leak, not sink the ship.
I don't really care who the interim coach is, but the players probably have very strong feelings. If Tech wants things to change on the field the players' mindset and willingness to stay positive is imperative. We do not need a plebiscite for this decision. We on the Swarm don't get a vote and the AA doesn't really care who we like or dislike.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I for one am shocked TStan is out (or rumored to be). Before the season I heard that TStan was safe because of the pressure some major donors put on him to hire CGC with the recommendation of O'Leary. TStan has done a LOT with his fundraising and hires of non revenue coaches. It's as much their fault as it is TStan's. Football and Men's basketball is a the engine that pulls everything else, so those accomplishments get muted when our main revenue drivers are struggling.

Of course, the other half of our mega donors that wanted another coach (rumored to be Ken Whisenhunt) also have a say with their $$$. If TStan was too influenced by a subset of donors, that's also a flaw in leadership. ADs need to hear the voices around them, but ultimately they need to make the best decision for GT, not to appease fans. Ultimately, winning cures all.

When TStan was hired, I pointed out that he never hired a head football coach at any of his AD stops. It could be an issue. There's a LOT of politics and appeasement that comes with hiring a coach of one of your flagship sports programs. It seems like TStan wilted under that pressure and appeased people with CGC instead of doing the hard thing, which would have been the right thing for GT.

So here we are, and our athletic department is about to undergo one of the biggest changes I can remember since I've been a GT fan.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who gives a F who the interim coach is? They hopefully won't get promoted to real head coach. It's just someone to finish out the season
Well, it does matter.

Johnny Majors, who once wanted to change the colors at Tennessee from Orange and White to Scotch and Soda, was replaced by a one Philip Fulmer who promptly went 4-0, replaced his boss and later won a Natty.