Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, it does matter.

Johnny Majors, who once wanted to change the colors at Tennessee from Orange and White to Scotch and Soda, was replaced by a one Philip Fulmer who promptly went 4-0, replaced his boss and later won a Natty.
If Key wins 4 of the final 8 games, you want to promote him? Hell I would keep Collins the rest of the year just to make sure we get a clean start after the UGA game

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Does firing the coach now save us more than 3 mil? Probably not. I say fire in 2023.
Firing Geoff Collins now vs. waiting til January 1st, 2023 to fire Geoff Collins is literally the difference between thousands of season ticket renewals.

Auburn > Nebraska > Georgia Tech are going to have the pick of the litter for head coaching hires in December...would be great if we can seal the deal on this before the Auburn vacancy becomes available as that's a much better job than Georgia Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Key wins 4 of the final 8 games, you want to promote him? Hell I would keep Collins the rest of the year just to make sure we get a clean start after the UGA game

Key has a lot of supporters among some key donors and decision makers. If he somehow gets us to a bowl game, he'll more than likely get the job. It'll be hard to argue he didn't earn it given what he inherited and what he's accomplished. I wouldn't expect GT to give him a big contract if he does get the job, and that just might be why he'll get a lot of support to keep the HC job.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
We will pay him this year's pay regardless. The difference is whether, on top of that do we pay him the 10.8 million left for the remaining 3 years (3.5+3.6+3.7) or do we pay him 7.2(2.4 x 3).
No, your numbers are slightly off. His remaining salaries are $3.4, $3.5, and $3.6 million for a total of 10.5 million. If he's fired Jan 1, what he's owed goes down to $7.2 million but at what other ancillary cost? Also, his 2022 salary of $3.3 million has always been guaranteed no matter when he is fired so the tweets that include any remaining salary between now and Jan 1 aren't mentioning that is already baked in to his overall cost.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No, your numbers are slightly off. His remaining salaries are $3.4, $3.5, and $3.6 million for a total of 10.5 million. If he's fired Jan 1, what he's owed goes down to $7.2 million but at what other ancillary cost? Also, his 2022 salary of $3.3 million has always been guaranteed so the tweets that include the remaining salary between now and Jan 1 aren't mentioning that is apready built in with the guarantee.

Thanks. Couldn't remembered if he started at 3.1 or 3.0.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Firing Geoff Collins now vs. waiting til January 1st, 2023 to fire Geoff Collins is literally the difference between thousands of season ticket renewals.

Auburn > Nebraska > Georgia Tech are going to have the pick of the litter for head coaching hires in December...would be great if we can seal the deal on this before the Auburn vacancy becomes available as that's a much better job than Georgia Tech.

On paper Auburn may be a better job (more $$$, more fan support, easier to recruit), but it's well known that the inmates (big donors) run the prison there, and it's a win now or get out environment...that's on top of having to coach in Saban's shadow and coach in the toughest division in college football. Donors ran off the AD this year, and were actively trying to get rid of Harsin DURING the season last year.

Some coaches will embrace it, other coaches will look elsewhere. Auburn is one of those "good from afar, but far from good" situations.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Key has a lot of supporters among some key donors and decision makers. If he somehow gets us to a bowl game, he'll more than likely get the job. It'll be hard to argue he didn't earn it given what he inherited and what he's accomplished. I wouldn't expect GT to give him a big contract if he does get the job, and that just might be why he'll get a lot of support to keep the HC job.
Well, we aren't beating Georgia so may as well call us 1-4. Beating UVA, Duke, and VT won't impress me at all so that would get us to 4-4. If he splits Pitt, FSU, Miami, and UNC and sweeps those other 3 we go to a bowl. Hell he's probably national coach of the year if he can pull that off. I'd still want to start over. His position group has been awful since he's come here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, we aren't beating Georgia so may as well call us 1-4. Beating UVA, Duke, and VT won't impress me at all so that would get us to 4-4. If he splits Pitt, FSU, Miami, and UNC and sweeps those other 3 we go to a bowl. Hell he's probably national coach of the year if he can pull that off. I'd still want to start over. His position group has been awful since he's come here.

Not disagreeing with you, but just telling you how Key is viewed within GT.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We're playing Clemson in the ACC Championship in your hypothetical here so he would keep his job on that turnaround alone.

Edit: never mind, this would have us at 3 losses in ACC.

slugboy

Staff member
On paper Auburn may be a better job (more $$$, more fan support, easier to recruit), but it's well known that the inmates (big donors) run the prison there, and it's a win now or get out environment...that's on top of having to coach in Saban's shadow and coach in the toughest division in college football. Donors ran off the AD this year, and were actively trying to get rid of Harsin DURING the season last year.

Some coaches will embrace it, other coaches will look elsewhere. Auburn is one of those "good from afar, but far from good" situations.
From what’s been said elsewhere, Auburn is looking for a coach that’s in tune with the new NIL NCAA. We both want good coaches, but I don’t think we’re looking for the same coach.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck

If Key is able to beat the teams we have a chance against and doesn't completely embarrass us in the loses I could see him getting a short contract based on the fact everyone is worried about money and we are absolutely broke. I wouldn't want it but I can see us doing it. Wouldn't be the worst thing if he got a hometown deal to see if he can get us to 5-7 or something like that. I have to imagine we are toxic to a lot of coaches right now, but we will look a lot better if we get to 5-7 in a couple of years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Key is able to beat the teams we have a chance against and doesn't completely embarrass us in the loses I could see him getting a short contract based on the fact everyone is worried about money and we are absolutely broke. I wouldn't want it but I can see us doing it. Wouldn't be the worst thing if he got a hometown deal to see if he can get us to 5-7 or something like that. I have to imagine we are toxic to a lot of coaches right now, but we will look a lot better if we get to 5-7 in a couple of years.

Agree. If Key can do that, it just may be a decision based on economics as much as Key's accomplishments.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
We firing Key in a couple years at 5-7?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Does firing the coach now save us more than 3 mil? Probably not. I say fire in 2023.
I know this hypothetical makes the very bold assumption that people get excited about Brent key, and that we start winning
BUT
Average attendance in BDS is down TEN THOUSAND since 2019. Which is apparently the lowest it’s been in 30 years (BDS was 43k capacity then).
But if we got back those ten thousand rightfully hesitant fans for our three remaining home games and say the average ticket cost is $70, that’s 2.1 million.
That’s nice, but I think what matters even more long term is keeping some of our good commits and potentially grabbing some even better ones in these earlier recruiting stages with a well liked (and respected) coach.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d agree with that decision. On the off chance that Key manages to get us to a bowl game this year and then manages to do so for a couple more years, it certainly would help us get into a better financial situation while restoring our reputation back to a point where potential hires don’t view the job as the place where football careers go to die.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about this earlier and came to the same conclusion. I honestly don’t see a scenario where this happens, but if it did I think as long as they are reasonable with the contract then most Tech fans would be ok with it.

Now, the problem is that we will have an advantage over every one else looking for a coach at year end if we look and move now. I’m not sure I’d bet on Key and wait and see. Maybe start having interviews and let the Pitt and Duke games play out? Probably won’t be long before we know whether a bowl is remotely feasible.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
If we keep Collins to the end of the year at this point, I will never watch Tech football again. And I have loved Tech football since I was 9 years old and am well into my 40s now. He has to go. He's destroyed this program to a level only rivaled by SMU and the death penalty, at least in my eyes

But I understand your point... Just to clarify

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know this hypothetical makes the very bold assumption that people get excited about Brent key, and that we start winning
BUT
Average attendance in BDS is down TEN THOUSAND since 2019. Which is apparently the lowest it’s been in 30 years (BDS was 43k capacity then).
But if we got back those ten thousand rightfully hesitant fans for our three remaining home games and say the average ticket cost is $70, that’s 2.1 million.
That’s nice, but I think what matters even more long term is keeping some of our good commits and potentially grabbing some even better ones in these earlier recruiting stages with a well liked (and respected) coach.
$70 average for a gt fb ticket?? No way! That is crazy.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I am curious what impact the Tstan decision would have on attracting coaching talent. On the plus side for keeping him, he has been loyal to his guy. Nobody can deny that. On the minus side, maybe coaches would not like to be associated with him because that imparts association with CgC. Whether Tstan stays or not, I think it's critical that the GTAA sends a strong message to coach candidates that 1) you are expected to win here and 2) the Institute, GTAA, AD, big donors, little donors, fans, students, Suguira, are all with you and behind you. As long as you win.