Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Because we've always been in a financial pinch. It looks like the Hill/Cabrera (both hopefully?) are now willing to make a financial commitment to the athletic program. That would be huge. Just got this in an email from Cabrera.

View attachment 13191
Sure, but the damage he was doing to Tech's reputation was massive. If you are willing to drop your pants and hold your ankles to pinch a few pennies, you really shouldn't be playing.

I was just about to post Cabrera's email - between the athletics portion and pointing out the US News rankings are garbage, he must be reading GTswarm. Now, which one of you is he? :LOL:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, as I understand it, a player could transfer but the transfer wouldn't take place until the end of the season.
He could remain on his team as a sort of lame duck, and even may play against the team he'll be transferring to. Is that right?

Yes. Technically the player could just agree to a transfer with the new program for next semester. The academic calendar would prevent them moving to their new school this semester. They would most likely be off the team once they enter the portal though so doubtful they would play against their future team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because we've always been in a financial pinch. It looks like the Hill/Cabrera (both hopefully?) are now willing to make a financial commitment to the athletic program. That would be huge. Just got this in an email from Cabrera.

View attachment 13191
I don't understand all there is to know about this, but I don't see any commitment in this statement of financial support from the Hill, and I don't know how they could give such under present law.
What could the Hill legally do to support the program financially?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sure, but the damage he was doing to Tech's reputation was massive. If you are willing to drop your pants and hold your ankles to pinch a few pennies, you really shouldn't be playing.

I was just about to post Cabrera's email - between the athletics portion and pointing out the US News rankings are garbage, he must be reading GTswarm. Now, which one of you is he? :LOL:

I agree with you, but I've been a GT fan for a long time and doing more with less is ingrained from the top down. Glad to see we finally decided to be bold and make the move now instead of in November.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So, as I understand it, a player could transfer but the transfer wouldn't take place until the end of the season.
He could remain on his team as a sort of lame duck, and even may play against the team he'll be transferring to. Is that right?
Well,,, The current situation for GT is no different than it was last year. The NCAA passed rules in August so that players are limited as to when they can put their name into the transfer portal. 45 days starting in December and May 1-15. If the HC is fired, there is an additional 30 day window after the firing in which they can enter the portal. Last year, there were no windows. People could enter the portal 365 days a year. So, as I said the transfer portal rules are no different in effect for GT now than they were at this time last year.

Entering the portal doesn't mean that you have transferred. It allows other teams to contact the player and potentially offer them a position on the other team. Once a name is in the portal, there is not a limit on when they can decide to actually transfer. If someone enters the portal in the 30 day coaching change window, they could make a deal to join another team in November. The player would still have to be academically eligible, which would mean keeping grades up in their current class and then enrolling in class at the next school. That means that the earliest that anyone will actually transfer would be after the semester. (Maybe someone could still withdraw from classes with no grade, and maybe some college is still admitting students for the fall semester. But I doubt any schools are still admitting students.)

If someone does enter the portal, it would be a decision for the player and the coaches as to whether they want to continue playing here or cut ties. If someone does enter the portal and make a definite decision to leave the team, I doubt the coaches would play them any more after that. Why give practice time and game experience to someone who has already decided they are not going to be a part of the program going forward?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't understand all there is to know about this, but I don't see any commitment in this statement of financial support from the Hill, and I don't know how they could give such under present law.
What could the Hill legally do to support the program financially?

I think this is in reference to the new $2 billion dollar Philanthropy fund raising drive that the Institute itself, not the GTAA, just recently started, It stated that intercollegiate athletics was to be one of the beneficiaries to that. They can't siphon funds directly to us, but they can help us out by having funds designated to us as part of a broad fundraising program like this. It's an encouraging development.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If someone does enter the portal, it would be a decision for the player and the coaches as to whether they want to continue playing here or cut ties. If someone does enter the portal and make a definite decision to leave the team, I doubt the coaches would play them any more after that. Why give practice time and game experience to someone who has already decided they are not going to be a part of the program going forward?
For most players probably not, but what if Gibbs were still on the team and decided to enter the portal now? Would we not play someone of his caliber for the remaining 8 games? Seems it could present an awkward situation, theoretically.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
For most players probably not, but what if Gibbs were still on the team and decided to enter the portal now? Would we not play someone of his caliber for the remaining 8 games? Seems it could present an awkward situation, theoretically.
I think you have to bench them in that situation. You can't put someone who is actively looking elsewhere above guys who are still committed to you, regardless of talent.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think the best thing would be for the coaches and the players to be upfront and brutally honest with each other. The players should be honest about their reasons for wanting to enter the portal, and the coaches should be honest about how they will treat the situation. The worst thing to do would be to tell players something like nobody who enters the portal will be allowed to play, and then backtrack on that.

My thought is that if you are a player who is thinking about transferring, you should probably wait until December to see how things turn out. If you enter the portal and start discussions with other teams, you can't be 100% invested in THIS team, THIS season. Entering the portal at this time doesn't gain very much, but does put a wedge between the player and the team. If someone enters the portal in December, I could see them coming to an agreement with the new coach to stay on the team. However, I agree with @Augusta_Jacket , in that if someone enters the portal in the middle of the season it pretty much ends the relationship with the team.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Lol. You all do realize how many guys across the NCAA in all sports have their names in the portal and play every week, right? It feels wrong, of course, but it is the new reality.
Not any more. Players are now limited as to when they can enter the portal. Football players can't enter the portal except for early December to mid January and then again in early May. If someone enters the portal after Spring camp but doesn't transfer, is the team going to keep them on the team the next year if they keep their name in the portal? I doubt it. All sports have 60 day limit on when players can enter the portal. Those windows are set up outside of the seasons.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not any more. Players are now limited as to when they can enter the portal. Football players can't enter the portal except for early December to mid January and then again in early May. If someone enters the portal after Spring camp but doesn't transfer, is the team going to keep them on the team the next year if they keep their name in the portal? I doubt it. All sports have 60 day limit on when players can enter the portal. Those windows are set up outside of the seasons.
Good call. I was thinking about a few years ago. Wasn't there a Clemson QB who put his name in, but kept starting? Weird times we're in, for sure.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Good call. I was thinking about a few years ago. Wasn't there a Clemson QB who put his name in, but kept starting? Weird times we're in, for sure.
Kelly Bryant transferred to Mizzou after he lost the starting job to Lawrence, may be who you are thinking of. I think he was still on the team for a while and Dabo was trying to get him to stay, but I don't recall him playing much if at all once he announced.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this is in reference to the new $2 billion dollar Philanthropy fund raising drive that the Institute itself, not the GTAA, just recently started, It stated that intercollegiate athletics was to be one of the beneficiaries to that. They can't siphon funds directly to us, but they can help us out by having funds designated to us as part of a broad fundraising program like this. It's an encouraging development.
Grant requests are costed for the work to be done and then a multiplier is factored in.
Bids in private industry do the thing

Whats in the " multiplier" associated direct labor costs , none billable consumables and rents and then the famous % central office overhead / operational requirments to maintain a "" professional ""staff.. ( profit is in there at various places) .
Under professional stsff maintenance- education, staff meetings, motivational events for staff, general travel, senior staff support, and etc.

The 1,000,000,000 $ per year in grants for research should support more than the hill.
How about .001% for the resesrch staff to get to know the students and alumni at athletic events 🤔! Great way to retain better staff 😜.

Where there is a will there is a way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I never understood why so many posters were convinced we would ride Collins out the whole season to save a few million bucks no matter what, when he had publicly embarrassed GT over and over.
I thought it would take him losing the locker room. I don't know if he did, but it was obvious after UCF that the strides necessary to be successful here weren't accomplished in the off-season. I wonder if the reason it happened mid-season is that Stanbury was terminated, as well. Stanbury didn't fire Collins. I think I was wrong because I don't think he lost the locker room.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I thought it would take him losing the locker room. I don't know if he did, but it was obvious after UCF that the strides necessary to be successful here weren't accomplished in the off-season. I wonder if the reason it happened mid-season is that Stanbury was terminated, as well. Stanbury didn't fire Collins. I think I was wrong because I don't think he lost the locker room.

When you're losing just about any real game on your schedule by three score or more margins, does it really matter if you've lost the locker room? I mean, you've lost the fan base, the AD hooked himself up to the Titantic right after it hit the iceberg, you play Clemson close for 2.5 quarters, play ok versus WCU, get your doors blown off and Lane Kiffin taking mercy on you and can't put up any points in the red zone versus UCF. What else do you really need to see? A beatdown to Pitt? Losing to Duke? I think the story had been told in all honesty.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
When you're losing just about any real game on your schedule by three score or more margins, does it really matter if you've lost the locker room? I mean, you've lost the fan base, the AD hooked himself up to the Titantic right after it hit the iceberg, you play Clemson close for 2.5 quarters, play ok versus WCU, get your doors blown off and Lane Kiffin taking mercy on you and can't put up any points in the red zone versus UCF. What else do you really need to see? A beatdown to Pitt? Losing to Duke? I think the story had been told in all honesty.
I don't really get the issue with Stansbury. If the decision was made to not fire GC, what else could he have said? If folks fault Stansbury for not firing GC, that's a different story. But so many people are worked up about the fact that Stansbury came out and said he has his man. What should he have said to save his job?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
"We are evaluating the football program and we will do whatever we can to assist Coach Collins in areas that can lead to significant improvement to the program and to more wins in 2023. 3 wins per season is not acceptable at Georgia Teach and while, I think we are headed in the right direction, we do need to emphasize improvement and we cannot be in a position at this time next year where no improvement has been in exhibited in with win loss column. It is clear that we had issues on defense this year and need to get the offense moving in a better direction and that is what Coach Collins will need to figure out this off season, how do we get better and ultimately win more games. Georgia Tech expects excellence in all things that we do and we won't accept 3 win seasons moving forward, so we will do what is necessary to make sure Coach Collins is in a good position to win next year."

or in actuality....

"We.....uhhhhhh..... are evaluating the football program and.......ummmmmmmm........we will do whatever we can to assist......ahhhhhhhhhhh........ Coach Collins in areas that can lead to significant improvement to the program and.......uhhhhhhhhhhhh....... to more wins in 2023. I think we are headed in the........ummmmmmmmm...... right direction, but we need to emphasize improvement and we.......uhhhhhhhhhh........ cannot be in a position at this time next year where no improvement has been in exhibited in with win loss column........... ok, you get it. 🙁

When you say "you've got your man" and 90% of the fan base is ready for him to leave, they can't watch his press conferences, are literally making fun of the clothes he wears every week and the team shows no effort at home against Ole Miss and LANE KIFFIN says he took mercy on the other side because of what's going on, you've wrapped an anchor around your neck. If he didn't know that, he shouldn't have been AD in the first place. He had to go.