Staff Changes

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Kirby is diverting praise to his players, as he should. It still takes a good coach to get the most of the the players. Otherwise you are just an overhyped team that doesn't meet expectations. Is UGA really doing that much better recruiting wise than when Richt was there?
Yes. They went from top 10 recruiting to top 3. Doesn’t sound like a big jump, but it is exponential.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. They went from top 10 recruiting to top 3. Doesn’t sound like a big jump, but it is exponential.
Where do you get that from?

UGA has ALWAYS been a top 5 recruiter in the SEC since living memory. They've had plenty of Top Recruiting Classes in the past. At no point since the 80's has UGA been a 10 in recruiting. Ever.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
And they are doing this with a walk-on QB. No 5* at that position. Not great but he doesn't make very many mistakes. Will be interesting to see how Saban will set up his D against them.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

UGA has ALWAYS been a top 5 recruiter in the SEC since living memory. They've had plenty of Top Recruiting Classes in the past. At no point since the 80's has UGA been a 10 in recruiting. Ever.
Going back to 2000, when 247Sports began quantifying team composite scores for recruiting, the worst ranking for a Georgia class was No. 23 in 2000, which would be Donnan’s last season. After that, the Bulldogs finished out of the Top 10 only twice, when they were 11th in 2010 and 12th in 2013. Their average national ranking in recruiting in last 18 years is 8.33, not including whatever this year’s class will be ranked.

If Georgia finishes No. 1 this year, that would give Smart’s three recruiting classes an average national ranking of 3.33. So, if there was any question about it, yes, the Bulldogs are recruiting at a higher level than ever at the moment.
This is an article from 2018. They finished 2019 as number 2, and 2020 as number 1.
They are recruiting much better under kirby

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Man look at that caveat to misrepresent the argument. BTW, 2010, per Rivals, uga was 6th in the SEC, and 15th in the nation.

As I said before, you are so busy being contrary you aren't even bothering to be correct.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
15th in the nation.
UGA has ALWAYS been a top 5 recruiter in the SEC since living memory.
Read much?

They've averaged number 2 in the SEC for the last 6 years or so. Kirby has been there for 5 of them, this being his 5th, which means only 4 of them belong to him. UGA didn't MAGICALLY get better at recruiting because Kirby showed up. That was in place long before he got there.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Man look at that caveat to misrepresent the argument. BTW, 2010, per Rivals, uga was 6th in the SEC, and 15th in the nation.

As I said before, you are so busy being contrary you aren't even bothering to be correct.

He said since living memory. Your arguing with a 10 year old

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
He said since living memory. Your arguing with a 10 year old
Incorrect. As usual.

The reason I used that and mentioned the 80's is because that is literally as long as I have watched UGA football. It is, quite literally, my living memory.

But do go on and insult people rather than argue the point.

And as a Parthian shot, Mark Richt's last recruiting class for 2015 was ranked number 3 in the nation.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Read much?

They've averaged number 2 in the SEC for the last 6 years or so. Kirby has been there for 5 of them, this being his 5th, which means only 4 of them belong to him. UGA didn't MAGICALLY get better at recruiting because Kirby showed up. That was in place long before he got there.

Speaking of reading, this is twice I've called you out on posts where you have clearly not responded with facts at all. Maybe you should do some more reading before you post anything further.

Kirby's first class at uga, not counting the inherited 2016 class was ranked third NATIONALLY. Then he ran off a string of three straight number one classes, was 5th last year, and is first this year. Nationally. From 2002-2015, per Rivals, the classes were ranked 3, 6, 6, 10, 4, 9, 7, 7, 15, 5, 12, 12, 7, & 6. Two top five classes in 14 years prior to Kirby, and nothing but top 5 classes since.

Maybe, just maybe, you should back up your assertions with actual facts before you call out someone.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Incorrect. As usual.

The reason I used that and mentioned the 80's is because that is literally as long as I have watched UGA football. It is, quite literally, my living memory.

But do go on and insult people rather than argue the point.

And as a Parthian shot, Mark Richt's last recruiting class for 2015 was ranked number 3 in the nation.

6th. Wrong again. It's like you're not even trying to be correct on anything...

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you guys do this somewhere else so the rest of us can talk about actual Staff Changes??

To try and get us back on track...

Anybody know if we're waiting on Godsey's response before we make any further hires? I assume he'd want to bring in someone of his own choosing if we have another coaching spot to fill on there offense

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I follow you and then your logic slips. I will rephrase the question. If we get a top 25 2022 recruiting class how does that guarantee a six win season next year?

Also it turned out that 2 of our best linemen this year were CPJ recruits and next year our best running backs may be CPJ recruits. So let’s just drop the constant denigration of CPJ, ok?

One more time, explain to me how the 2022 recruiting class is going to pick us up 3 extra wins next year? I hope we pick up a lot more wins than that put I fail to see how 2022 recruits make that much impact. Especially if the level of coaching remains the same.
I didn't say anything about a guarantee of a six-win season, but rather I would personally see that as progress next season with the other two stipulations mentioned. What Pastner says is very true here also - you must get old and stay old - but better to do this with consistent top 25 recruiting classes than consistent top 50 classes CPJ was able to attract. And I'm not denigrating CPJ. I loved the way CPJ could win with pure offensive scheme but the linemen he attracted on both sides of the ball can't sustain a none-3O program. And history shows we clearly don't want a 3O program again. Coaches matter but high-quality players matter more.

We'll see new a new OC - and I assume a new DC - announced in the next few days. So new coaches aside, the most important thing right now is to focus on strong 2022 and 2023 classes to add quality depth - particularly on both lines - which is what we're sorely missing. It's very hard to find a program that wins consistently without consistent top 25 recruiting. Recruiting is king - and the portal matters but it's mostly about filling short-term gaps - not building a consistent winning program.

To answer your question about how we gain 3 W's - it's not too hard within this context - more quality depth/experience/maturity on the LOS (both D and O lines), one more year of experience for Sims and minimizing all the coverage mistakes in our defensive backfield will get us 3 more W's in 2022. Keeping a few of our more experienced players for 2022 would also help a lot...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say anything about a guarantee of a six-win season, but rather I would personally see that as progress next season with the other two stipulations mentioned. What Pastner says is very true here also - you must get old and stay old - but better to do this with consistent top 25 recruiting classes than consistent top 50 classes CPJ was able to attract. And I'm not denigrating CPJ. I loved the way CPJ could win with pure offensive scheme but the linemen he attracted on both sides of the ball can't sustain a none-3O program. And history shows we clearly don't want a 3O program again. Coaches matter but high-quality players matter more.

We'll see new a new OC - and I assume a new DC - announced in the next few days. So new coaches aside, the most important thing right now is to focus on strong 2022 and 2023 classes to add quality depth - particularly on both lines - which is what we're sorely missing. It's very hard to find a program that wins consistently without consistent top 25 recruiting. Recruiting is king - and the portal matters but it's mostly about filling short-term gaps - not building a consistent winning program.

To answer your question about how we gain 3 W's - it's not too hard within this context - more quality depth/experience/maturity on the LOS (both D and O lines), one more year of experience for Sims and minimizing all the coverage mistakes in our defensive backfield will get us 3 more W's in 2022. Keeping a few of our more experienced players for 2022 would also help a lot...
So in summary the 2022 class has nothing at all to do with how many wins we get next year and it still depends on coaches cleaning up all the mistakes of the last three years. That’s what I thought.

Hope you are correct about all the steady progress we will make but until Collins can coach players up and make in-game decisions the way Pastner does in basketball I don’t see any progress. Again, hope you are correct and I am wrong.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
And they are doing this with a walk-on QB. No 5* at that position. Not great but he doesn't make very many mistakes. Will be interesting to see how Saban will set up his D against them.

Don't remember where I read it, but if UGA runs into a good-to-great defense they're in trouble (e.g. Clemson). Alabama could beat them 6-3, which would seriously suck because you'd have two SEC teams in the playoffs. It'd be hard to exclude a 12-1 UGA and equally hard to turn away a 12-1 SEC champ.

As for us: knowing we play in a crappy ACC we don't need the next coming of Lincoln Riley at OC or The Black Watch on defense. Just cleaning things up on both sides of the ball, e.g. limiting turnovers, being solid on special teams, and stopping the busts in the secondary would get us to 6-6. Getting above-average coaches on both sides of the ball pushes us back to "mediocrity" at 7-5, which for most of us, would be a welcome change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating we settle, but it's never as good or as bad as you think ...

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So in summary the 2022 class has nothing at all to do with how many wins we get next year and it still depends on coaches cleaning up all the mistakes of the last three years. That’s what I thought.

Hope you are correct about all the steady progress we will make but until Collins can coach players up and make in-game decisions the way Pastner does in basketball I don’t see any progress. Again, hope you are correct and I am wrong.
At the moment, considering three years of proof that our program is not on a great trajectory and that the head coach has treated the fans like mushrooms (actively making things inside the program a complete mystery to the fans), I’m in complete Missouri-mode. You gotta show me something before I’ll extend any more faith or belief. I honestly hope improvement happens with this group and I’ll be looking at things from the angle of why XYZ move should help. But there’s no more benefit of the doubt anymore. None.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agreed - excellent recruiting directly leads to better team performance. In Kirby's interview on 680 today he emphasized the reason for UGA's success is simple - it's all about the quality of the players - not the coaches. As much as those on this board may hate him, he's got a ton more coaching credibility and championship-level experience than anyone in our current program. In today's college game, the better recruiters will tend to come out on top - given enough time (3-4 recruiting classes). If Collins can keep his 2022 class largely intact (granted, that will be a bigger challenge now), that represents 3 recruiting classes and improvement should follow next season.
It’s also called being humble. The coaches are doing a good job over there too, believe me.