Staff Changes

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot goes into a program. Recruiting, coaching, player development, organization, fundamentals, game preparation, discipline, etc. It takes the entire package.
Agreed.

But to keep a lifetime losing coach as your head coach because he has "recruiting skills" is sort of like hiring the same captain to captain the Titanic on it's voyage of doom over and over again because he has great people skills.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I don't see it. At all. Odds are it had nothing to do with him. We've always had good recruits from time to time.

And as I said before, what good are his "recruiting skills" if he has no clue how to use them?

All the "recruiting skills" in the world has not helped him reach a .500 lifetime coaching record. (ergo his recruiting skills are in fact worthless)

Saying that Collins' recruiting skills are worth something is sort of like saying you hire a mechanic to build an engine that has great driving skills but has no idea how to change the oil, let alone build the engine.
Just give it a rest. Saying Collins has nothing to do with immediate impact in recruiting results is just ignoring the facts.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.

But to keep a lifetime losing coach as your head coach because he has "recruiting skills" is sort of like hiring the same captain to captain the Titanic on it's voyage of doom over and over again because he has great people skills.
It's nothing like that at all. If Collins can market, recruit and make GT visible in Atlanta and the State of Georgia, then that's great! Let him bring in the talent and make Tech competitive on the recruiting trail while the coordinators make Tech competitive on the field. Seriously, he's competing with Georgia in-state, Clemson to the north, Bama to the west and too many programs to name to the south. If Collins can steal a few four-stars from those programs, he's done well. Now, let's get some coordinators who know x's & o's to coach 'em up!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Guys, give the Collins negativity a rest. None of the mods wants to lock threads, but at some point this has to end.
As fans at this particular moment, we need to decide to get behind CGC for one more year. It may be his last year, it may not. His team may show substantial improvement next year, it may not. But one thing for sure, it is( or soon will be ) his "do over" team. I am going to try to remove the negative impressions I have formed over the last 3 years, and be 100% supportive. Will that be easy ? Heck no ! But our players, both current and recruits/transfers, deserve that.
We will see where it goes from here, but from now let's move FORWARD !!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As fans at this particular moment, we need to decide to get behind CGC for one more year. It may be his last year, it may not. His team may show substantial improvement next year, it may not. But one thing for sure, it is( or soon will be ) his "do over" team. I am going to try to remove the negative impressions I have formed over the last 3 years, and be 100% supportive. Will that be easy ? Heck no ! But our players, both current and recruits/transfers, deserve that.
We will see where it goes from here, but from now let's move FORWARD !!

I just posted this in another thread, but it speaks to what you just said:

Lack of fans in the seats might cost us another player or two. The players have noticed that we aren't showing up and it's starting to get to them.

My source for this is the father of a player who graduated three years ago and remains close with several members currently on the team. I went to HS with the father. The former players words were, to paraphrase, 'the uga game opened the eyes to a lot of our student athletes about how little the fans actually care about them.' You heard similar, but in a much less accusatory tone, from the post game presser from Tre Swilling.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Better man than me....
If this was in regards to my post, I get it. I may not be the better man, I will try to be either. I am not a spring chicken, and sometimes I think I may not be around long enough to see the school I love be successful in football again. But also at my age, I seem better able to decide where and how I want to let things upset me. We will see how it goes, but I'm gonna' give it a shot.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
My view of CGC'c method is that he doesn't like the job of digging in the weeds of tiny details. He thinks his staff should do that job, but his lack of understanding of how those tiny details matter gives him a false sense of what is important. He is enjoys the PR and HR jobs, but struggles with COO role because he doesn't know how to turn his ideas into action.
That's not uncommon. In fact, a whole management philosophy is built around the CEO/COO (visionary/integrator) relationship. Walt Disney couldn’t have done it without his brother Roy. Henry Ford wouldn’t have built an empire without his Integrator, James Couzens. And, Ray Kroc wouldn’t have created the largest restaurant chain in the world without Fred Turner. These companies were all small once. Collins is clearly a visionary. He needs a solid integrator to make the trains run on time.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
It's nothing like that at all. If Collins can market, recruit and make GT visible in Atlanta and the State of Georgia, then that's great! Let him bring in the talent and make Tech competitive on the recruiting trail while the coordinators make Tech competitive on the field. Seriously, he's competing with Georgia in-state, Clemson to the north, Bama to the west and too many programs to name to the south. If Collins can steal a few four-stars from those programs, he's done well. Now, let's get some coordinators who know x's & o's to coach 'em up!
And then do what with them?

To date, he has never in his entire career done anything with anybody he's ever recruited.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Any word on timeline of who new coaches will be? Given early signing day around the corner, don’t think we’d want to wait too long.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There is so much coaching churn now and most recruit commitments are set that kids will likely stick with commitments or delay. They can always transfer next year if they don't like their situation and can play immediately. The actual degree doesn't seem to matter that much anymore. A Duke degree is worth a lot more than one from Bama but they think the NFL is where they will be in 4 years. Some will but a lot won't.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If this was in regards to my post, I get it. I may not be the better man, I will try to be either. I am not a spring chicken, and sometimes I think I may not be around long enough to see the school I love be successful in football again. But also at my age, I seem better able to decide where and how I want to let things upset me. We will see how it goes, but I'm gonna' give it a shot.
Great post and I agree! He is here at least one more year and if he can get good coordinators and let them do their job we really could be on to something.
He lost me from the get go and I stopped season tickets after 20 years. when it was obvious he was clueless. But is he now? Sometimes you have to be kicked and knocked down fairly hard to learn some tough life lessons. He is definitly getting some tough lessons as we speak

For all those who like me stopped getting season tickets maybe we could all give it one more go and all sit in the same section. (Lower West?) We could be the "No Money Down" section
I am assuming we hire a true DC and OC at this point though. If Thacker or CGC try to run the defense then I am still out.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Also, in the effort to bring harmony if someone mentions sometiing about CPJ can others just let it go. This will be my last time with the phrase CGC Clown show. A new day starts right now. Can CGC learn from his mistakes? I will give him next season especially if I see real progress not the twist your neck and stand on one foot to see it kind of progress.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we know of any actual candidates for the open spots? I like several of the names us fans have thrown out but do we know who GT has actually contacted? Is there any way of knowing that?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For all those who like me stopped getting season tickets maybe we could all give it one more go and all sit in the same section. (Lower West?) We could be the "No Money Down" section

Honestly I could really get behind this idea. I haven't had season tickets fro many, many years due to relocation but if there was a core group that would get a block of seats together I would do that. May only make it to one or two games but the idea of going and sitting with people I "know" would be intriguing. All of my GT buddies are scattered and too invested in other things to even consider this so I, for one, am willing to entertain further discussion if in fact you are serious.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I could really get behind this idea. I haven't had season tickets fro many, many years due to relocation but if there was a core group that would get a block of seats together I would do that. May only make it to one or two games but the idea of going and sitting with people I "know" would be intriguing. All of my GT buddies are scattered and too invested in other things to even consider this so I, for one, am willing to entertain further discussion if in fact you are serious.
I am and I would buy 2-4. make a pact that unused tickets always go to other tech fans or just eat them. Dont want fans of the opposite teams in a season ticket block.

I would even say we all get parking in the same area and maybe tailgate together.