Staff Changes

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am and I would buy 2-4. make a pact that unused tickets always go to other tech fans or just eat them. Dont want fans of the opposite teams in a season ticket block.

I would even say we all get parking in the same area and maybe tailgate together.

As I said, I am honestly intrigued. I haven't had season tickets since the mid-90's for reasons mentioned earlier. I propose that we make a thread after the holidays or in late winter (when do these things even go on sale???) to see if there are others who may be interested.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly I could really get behind this idea. I haven't had season tickets fro many, many years due to relocation but if there was a core group that would get a block of seats together I would do that. May only make it to one or two games but the idea of going and sitting with people I "know" would be intriguing. All of my GT buddies are scattered and too invested in other things to even consider this so I, for one, am willing to entertain further discussion if in fact you are serious.
In fairness, Lower West was the most populated section most of the year.

Not necessarily rowdy, but at least punctual.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
He is a good salesman. Sold himself to TStan and has somehow managed to retain Thacker (maybe). He has not done a good job selling himself to our fans but he was totally dedicated to recruiting high school kids. Some of his antics are now being thrown back at him. He can turn it around with winning. Just needs good hires.
Agreed - excellent recruiting directly leads to better team performance. In Kirby's interview on 680 today he emphasized the reason for UGA's success is simple - it's all about the quality of the players - not the coaches. As much as those on this board may hate him, he's got a ton more coaching credibility and championship-level experience than anyone in our current program. In today's college game, the better recruiters will tend to come out on top - given enough time (3-4 recruiting classes). If Collins can keep his 2022 class largely intact (granted, that will be a bigger challenge now), that represents 3 recruiting classes and improvement should follow next season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed - excellent recruiting directly leads to better team performance. In Kirby's interview on 680 today he emphasized the reason for UGA's success is simple - it's all about the quality of the players - not the coaches. As much as those on this board may hate him, he's got a ton more coaching credibility and championship-level experience than anyone in our current program. In today's college game, the better recruiters will tend to come out on top - given enough time (3-4 recruiting classes). If Collins can keep his 2022 class largely intact (granted, that will be a bigger challenge now), that represents 3 recruiting classes and improvement should follow next season.
Explain how keeping the 2022 class intact will lead to a winning season next year. I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’m just not following the logic.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't that roofs son? More or less?

Speaking of Roof, when he left GT, he actually did fairly decent as a DC for other schools (outside of his last stop at Vandy...which is just a coaching graveyard).

DFEI rankings
2018 NC State (CO DC): #57
2019 App State (DC): #26
2020 Vandy (DC): #120

Roof was a defensive analyst for Clemson this year.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Explain how keeping the 2022 class intact will lead to a winning season next year. I’m not trying to be argumentative; I’m just not following the logic.
I didn't say a winning team next season - I said improvement. Five or six W's would represent improvement next season with a winning team two years from now when Collins first recruiting class would be Seniors. This should happen based on the cumulative impact of improved players with more quality depth, playing experience and physical/mental maturity. Outside the portal, the cumulative impact of multiple top 25 recruiting classes needs time to mature and ripple through the program. As much as I enjoyed watching CPJ's 3O offense, he simply couldn't attract legit-sized D1 players so the ONLY way to dig out of that hole is through outstanding recruiting over a 3-4 year recruiting class time period.

Using this logic, contrary to most of the emotions expressed on this board, we should continue to leverage Collins proven ability to recruit for at least one more season (most likely two -assuming noticeable/real improvement next season) and rebuild the team as most should recognize is required. 6'2", 275 lb. O lineman that work well for the 3O don't cut it with a normal offense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say a winning team next season - I said improvement. Five or six W's would represent improvement next season with a winning team two years from now when Collins first recruiting class would be Seniors. This should happen based on the cumulative impact of improved players with more quality depth, playing experience and physical/mental maturity. Outside the portal, the cumulative impact of multiple top 25 recruiting classes needs time to mature and ripple through the program. As much as I enjoyed watching CPJ's 3O offense, he simply couldn't attract legit-sized D1 players so the ONLY way to dig out of that hole is through outstanding recruiting over a 3-4 year recruiting class time period.

Using this logic, contrary to most of the emotions expressed on this board, we should continue to leverage Collins proven ability to recruit for at least one more season (most likely two -assuming noticeable/real improvement next season) and rebuild the team as most should recognize is required. 6'2", 275 lb. O lineman that work well for the 3O don't cut it with a normal offense.
Wait, why are we still talking about CPJ linemen? Collins bragged about the huge increase in size last year (averaging well over 300 lbs).

So your premise, if I understand you, is that CGC’s current recruits are going to show improvement next year and we will continue to build on that. I appreciate your optimism.

If we only win 5 games next year is that acceptable to you in the 4th year of a new coach, and if so, how many wins would be a reasonable expectation in 2023 assuming Collins is still here?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Roof, when he left GT, he actually did fairly decent as a DC for other schools (outside of his last stop at Vandy...which is just a coaching graveyard).

DFEI rankings
2018 NC State (CO DC): #57
2019 App State (DC): #26
2020 Vandy (DC): #120

Roof was a defensive analyst for Clemson this year.
You should add 2015 (or maybe 2016?)at GT, i think around #48 that season

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait, why are we still talking about CPJ linemen? Collins bragged about the huge increase in size last year (averaging well over 300 lbs).

So your premise, if I understand you, is that CGC’s current recruits are going to show improvement next year and we will continue to build on that. I appreciate your optimism.

If we only win 5 games next year is that acceptable to you in the 4th year of a new coach, and if so, how many wins would be a reasonable expectation in 2023 assuming Collins is still here?
My point is that independent of who the head coach is, multiple cumulative top 25 recruiting classes is the most important factor to improving team performance over the next two seasons.

I can't defend Collins as a coach but can point out his track record would suggest he can be a very good recruiter so probably fits what the team needs the most right now - particularly when some element of HC stability is factored into recruiting success. Using this logic, I would put a LOT of weight on Collins ability to maintain a top 25 2022 recruiting class and line up another one for 2023.

To answer your question, assuming we maintain a top 25 2022 recruiting class, I would personally find a 6-6 record acceptable next season assuming the eye test tells you the team is trending upward at that point. Very few, if any, coaches would have produced a winning team with the players/lack of depth we had this past season. Quality players make the most difference - and we didn't have many at the end of CPJ's era.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My point is that independent of who the head coach is, multiple cumulative top 25 recruiting classes is the most important factor to improving team performance over the next two seasons.

I can't defend Collins as a coach but can point out his track record would suggest he can be a very good recruiter so probably fits what the team needs the most right now - particularly when some element of HC stability is factored into recruiting success. Using this logic, I would put a LOT of weight on Collins ability to maintain a top 25 2022 recruiting class and line up another one for 2023.

To answer your question, assuming we maintain a top 25 2022 recruiting class, I would personally find a 6-6 record acceptable next season assuming the eye test tells you the team is trending upward at that point. Very few, if any, coaches would have produced a winning team with the players/lack of depth we had this past season. Quality players make the most difference - and we didn't have many at the end of CPJ's era.
I follow you and then your logic slips. I will rephrase the question. If we get a top 25 2022 recruiting class how does that guarantee a six win season next year?

Also it turned out that 2 of our best linemen this year were CPJ recruits and next year our best running backs may be CPJ recruits. So let’s just drop the constant denigration of CPJ, ok?

One more time, explain to me how the 2022 recruiting class is going to pick us up 3 extra wins next year? I hope we pick up a lot more wins than that put I fail to see how 2022 recruits make that much impact. Especially if the level of coaching remains the same.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get a top 25 2022 recruiting class how does that guarantee a six win season next year?
It doesn't. Any more than having all these alleged good recruits has helped us up to this point under Collins.

You can have some of the best players on earth and it's all for nothing if you don't have the coaching to go with it. Just ask Dan Marino.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kirby is diverting praise to his players, as he should. It still takes a good coach to get the most of the the players. Otherwise you are just an overhyped team that doesn't meet expectations. Is UGA really doing that much better recruiting wise than when Richt was there?