Staff Changes

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand your thoughts. They are rational. I just look at the long view and big picture. You say “put forth by the leadership at Tech.” What does that mean? Whatever this leadership is like believing in the wizard and not just a dude behind a screen. TStan had to walk arm in arm with Collins off the field yesterday. There is no long term leadership going on. Everyone is reacting because the emperor has proven not to have on clothes and this season opened the eyes of the last few holdouts. The plan from 3 years ago has failed.

These staff changes are all about just limping thru another year or two until the buyout is minimal and then Collins (possibly TStan) will be fired. You know that is what will happen. Next year I expect us to be improved. Why? Because it is statistically impossible to be worse. We won 2 games against real teams and one of them was a last minute win against a team that went 0-8 in the ACC? So if we win 5 games is that really meaningful improvement? Or is it just statistics catching up. Now, if we win 7-8 games then we’d all be happy, but we know Collins is not that capable. If he was this season would have been different. As is next season will come and go and we’ll still be a lost program that no one cares about.
I've been trying to think of where the best place to put forth this thought. I think this might be as good a location as any.

I think the changes we're seeing after this season are changes that probably would have happened after last season had there not been Covid19. I think that we're a year behind where we would have been without the pandemic. Just my opinion.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did we choose to retain our WRs coach? Yes I know the QB didn’t have any time to get the receivers the ball, but they created almost little to no separation all year long. In fact, outside of McGowan, you’re looking at a bunch of dudes who under performed all year long….just a thought

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am wholeheartedly against the idea of Geoff taking on full DC responsibility and imo it just shows how inept The Powers are.

This is not PlayStation where you flick your stick and hit X and pick a defense. It takes a tremendous amount of mental acumen to calls plays on offense or defense. Given Collins’ time-management woes and other gameday shortcomings does anyone really think adding defensive play calling duties is a good idea?
I think there is a recognition that Geoff umdercuts his staff. So, fish or cut bait.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Here's hoping that the last staff change is Key moving on to another program once all of the new coaches start forming their staffs. We could use that money for a better OC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In your opinion, what year is this for CGC. Can't be 0.

Do you give him a pass on his first year? And make this year 1?

I agree last year was unlike any other but the pandemic affected every college team not just CGC.
I said earlier in the year, before the season started, that I kind of looked at this year are Year2b because so much of last year was screwed up. So, for me, everything got pushed a year. We're about on schedule for what I expected (except I thought we'd win more games this year, and that is disappointing). I expected that CDP and CAT would both be replaced after Year 2 (this was back in 2018), then CoVid19 hit and everything went sideways. At that point, I had no more expectations.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's hoping that the last staff change is Key moving on to another program once all of the new coaches start forming their staffs. We could use that money for a better OC.
I thought the line blocked better as the season went on. Which is what I hoped to see at all positions on the team. I'm not making excuses but were really young at every position on the line. I'm hoping they can get stronger in the off-season and we add 1 or 2 transfers from the portal.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
An interesting question I have not seen any solid info on yet pertains to current staff changes impact on the 2022 recruiting class - which was on track to be a historic class before this season started. I'm pretty sure each one of those recruits, has a relationship targeted on one specific coach on the current (as of Saturday) staff. I'm not clear how many primary relationships from our 2022 (and maybe 2023) recruiting class have now been negatively impacted. I assume CGC has a chart showing these relationships and hope that's where they are placing immediate communication emphasis this week.

While many here enjoy bashing underperforming coaches (justifiably so in most current cases), it won't be too much fun watching their respective 2022/3 recruits, which currently have us ranked in top 25 territory, now go elsewhere. Perhaps ditto with one or two current good players.

The natural casualty of firing coaches I guess, but it won't be fun to watch the other shoe drop... One can only hope the new coaches brought in can attract a few quality new 2022/3 recruits as coaches are being let go on other teams also.

Here's hoping we can net-net sign at least as good of 2022 class as we currently have on paper... This might be more tactically important than who we hire if you're in the camp that CGC is likely to be gone after next year...

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
An interesting question I have not seen any solid info on yet pertains to current staff changes impact on the 2022 recruiting class - which was on track to be a historic class before this season started. I'm pretty sure each one of those recruits, has a relationship targeted on one specific coach on the current (as of Saturday) staff. I'm not clear how many primary relationships from our 2022 (and maybe 2023) recruiting class have now been negatively impacted. I assume CGC has a chart showing these relationships and hope that's where they are placing immediate communication emphasis this week.

While many here enjoy bashing underperforming coaches (justifiably so in most current cases), it won't be too much fun watching their respective 2022/3 recruits, which currently have us ranked in top 25 territory, now go elsewhere. Perhaps ditto with one or two current good players.

The natural casualty of firing coaches I guess, but it won't be fun to watch the other shoe drop... One can only hope the new coaches brought in can attract a few quality new 2022/3 recruits as coaches are being let go on other teams also.

Here's hoping we can net-net sign at least as good of 2022 class as we currently have on paper... This might be more tactically important than who we hire if you're in the camp that CGC is likely to be gone after next year...
Patenaude and Popovich being let go will have little to no impact. Burton I'm not sure but I doubt it.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

Collins, Thacker and Choice visited Jaron Willis yesterday. Willis is our franchise recruit for this year. Our best recruiters are Choice, Knight, Burton and probably Thacker. This is all my opinion of course. I am concerned about losing Burton, but Choice is the go to guy.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Too many reps just for the sake of getting reps. If they aren’t good reps, and there isn’t correction, they’re just reinforcing bad habits. Also, too many reps for backups. The #1’s need the bulk of the reps (this ties in with the silly ATL chart).

Have you watched us play? It would make perfect sense, if so. We play like we practice.
Exactly !

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think there is a recognition that Geoff umdercuts his staff. So, fish or cut bait.
My view of CGC'c method is that he doesn't like the job of digging in the weeds of tiny details. He thinks his staff should do that job, but his lack of understanding of how those tiny details matter gives him a false sense of what is important. He is enjoys the PR and HR jobs, but struggles with COO role because he doesn't know how to turn his ideas into action.

slugboy

Staff member
These guys got hit right at Christmas, too. I hope their friends, family, and neighbors swarm them.

If the overruling/micromanagement reports are true, and I have no reason to doubt them, then the combination of splitting the safeties from the CBs plus conflicting messages from Collins would explain a lot. Restructuring might help a lot, just because there are too many chefs in the kitchen.

Last edited: