Staff Changes

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
My only response to your response is as follows:

The O coordinator better not be Key - that will be a disaster
The D coordinator better not be Thacker (we've seen that already)

One more point is that Thacker deserved to be let go more than Popovich. Thacker and Collins are supposed to be DB whisperers. They have proven they are not. Don't give me "but they will have more time to work with the DB's now" nonsense. Saban works with the DB's, and he is extremely busy.

Lastly, if the good cop only culture continues (no bad cops except Choice maybe), nothing will get better in my opinion.
Brent Key's season at UCF yielded the following:
IMG_20211128_195906.jpg

That is point per game avg at UCF. They must have been running the option the year before or something (They were 24th ranked ppg the year prior).

If it is Key, CGC is as good as done. I'm hearing that there is a legit chance Gibbs leaves, which would make the situation even worse.

I have no respect for CBK ever since his days of negative recruiting against Tech. He also claimed that it is easier to recruit here than at Bama when he first got here, and that was as much BS as his coaching capabilities.

This staff sucks and GT FB will suck until they are all gone.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are on to something, GT02. CGC & TStan & some of our fanbase are still clinging to recruiting as the panacea.
I tend to agree with you that what ails us is a lack of culture and accountability, and believe we may be better served focusing more on that than on recruiting. Having said that, nothing we can do to change the path at this point so seems like we should all get behind the new staff. At least for the next year.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Brent Key's season at UCF yielded the following:
View attachment 11731

That is point per game avg at UCF. They must have been running the option the year before or something.

If it is Key, CGC is as good as done. I'm hearing that there is a legit chance Gibbs leaves, which would make the situation even worse.

I have no respect for CBK ever since his days or negative recruiting against Tech. He also claimed that it is easier to recruit here than at Bama when he first got here, and that was as much BS as his coaching capabilities.

This staff sucks and GT FB will suck until they are all gone.
The one exception to the post I just made is Key. Like you, I can’t get behind someone that negative recruited against Tech and then has pretty much sucked since he got here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I know a lot of us wanted change but there are some truly awful GT fans on Twitter attacking players in response to the announced staff changes. I hope that is no one on this message board.
I'm a little confused. If they wanted change, why would they attack players because of the change?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a little confused. If they wanted change, why would they attack players because of the change?
I’m not going to give these low lifes any recognition here but the short version is that they are calling our players trash in response to player posts to Burton.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Too many reps just for the sake of getting reps. If they aren’t good reps, and there isn’t correction, they’re just reinforcing bad habits. Also, too many reps for backups. The #1’s need the bulk of the reps (this ties in with the silly ATL chart).

Have you watched us play? It would make perfect sense, if so. We play like we practice.
If that is how we were practicing...all of the head scratching I did over how we were not progressing late into the season was just answered. No wonder our guys were having trouble...they were not getting the reps in practice. We were building depth, but not "higher". It's a different approach to football practice for sure. Obviously it does not work at the P5 level.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m not going to give these low lifes any recognition here but the short version is that they are calling our players trash in response to player posts to Burton.
I didn't think such existed, but I think at long last I have found some fans we could do without.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Colleges giving long term contracts are albatrosses. Guys happy to get a job get guaranteed contracts. And their responses are “Huh?!?! Well if you insist. Sure!”

Colleges are more forced to give out long contracts for recruiting purposes. It's hard for a coach to convince a guy to play for the school when the coach might not be there while the player is there.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Of course, I want him to succeed too, WV, but his culture crap is part of the problem, and I don't think he is fixing that side of the equation. There has to be a balance to it, but sometimes the butt chewings that Saban or other successful coaches give is needed. This is even more true at a school that recruits below the top 20.

Do you know 100% for sure he is demoting Thacker? I have not seen that verified. Thanks.
Have you read the Georgia Tech release announcing the coaches who are not coming back? Part of the release dates that there will be changes at the top on both sides of the football. To me that would infer that Thacker will not be the DC.