Spring Practice

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it may be good to practice for a week then Spring Break. Let everyone know what is expected, give them the information and specifics and then see which ones use Spring Breal to come back smarter and more ready - who is committed.
Good point, and I think a break is beneficial from the standpoint of giving the coaches time to digest what they've seen in the first week and hit the ground running in week two with some new ideas.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like the "break thing" is always a little problem the coaches just have to deal with every year because it always sits in the middle of the best time for spring practice and it really isn't much more than just that. There isn't a great time for it, a little nuisance that has to be dealt with by all GT FB coaches and nothing more than that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Couple of academic high achievers here:

"Majoring in nuclear and radiological engineering … Two-time member of ACC academic honor roll."

"Majoring in electrical engineering … Member of ACC academic honor roll."

Don't know about Moore (does he have a scholarship?), but Fusile has definitely earned a full ride IMO.
I might add that both are the proverbial "diamonds in the rough" that often end up starting for Tech after they get on the practice field. Good to see that the recruiting staff is actually, you know, looking at the film.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I might add that both are the proverbial "diamonds in the rough" that often end up starting for Tech after they get on the practice field. Good to see that the recruiting staff is actually, you know, looking at the film.
In so many things its not how good u are, its how fast and for how long u improve.

Key' s teams will known for improvment in all areas because he demands it. For the OC And DC its UP or Out.

Last edited:

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
There really is a lot of potential in this group. Leary already can be a real weapon on jet sweeps, Rutherford is poised to have a McCollum-esque breakout season, Blackburn and Janneh have a lot of potential as big outside threats, and Chase Lane should provide strong leadership and experience. Not to mention that Boyd, Moore, and/or Blackstrain could break onto the scene with some good development from their new coaches.
We all know about Blackburn.
DJ Moore is a freak. His injury threw him off schedule, but I expect him to make an impact this year.
I also have high hopes for Blackstrain to make a step forward. Watching him in the spring, he looks like a D1 receiver. Just needs to produce on the field and fill in his frame.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know of any plans to allow us curious fans or season ticket holders to watch a scrimmage on a Saturday prior to the Spring Game?
Because of my age (88) I cannot go to the games, but I can park in Peters walk that short distance, sit near the exit tunnels and enjoy a spring practice at BDS, so I hope they do let us attend a BDS practice/scrimmage.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

I think Sherrer will be a good addition to the program and the defense. It sounds like Thack is taking it in stride and accepting of his help vs. pushing against having someone else along side him(at least publicly). Smart move by Key to have an older seasoned pro to help out the relatively young Thack.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the best interview I think I've seen with Thacker. He named names, he talked real football, it wasn't rah-rah. He wasn't amped out of this world. I absolutely loved Sherrer's interview. He's the consummate old-school coach. He was diplomatic, honest, and real. I don't anticipate he'll be here long, but I'm damn glad he's here while he'll be here. The best thing for our program is for others to want our assistant coaches. When they get hired away, replace them with like coaches.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
That was the best interview I think I've seen with Thacker. He named names, he talked real football, it wasn't rah-rah. He wasn't amped out of this world. I absolutely loved Sherrer's interview. He's the consummate old-school coach. He was diplomatic, honest, and real. I don't anticipate he'll be here long, but I'm damn glad he's here while he'll be here. The best thing for our program is for others to want our assistant coaches. When they get hired away, replace them with like coaches.
It's amazing how much Thack had matured since Collins was fired.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how much Thack had matured since Collins was fired.

I'm almost certain Collins had talking points he wanted coaches to talk about, and other points he wanted them to stay away from. He tried to keep it positive, and he didn't like to criticize players or talk about what went wrong. If you remember Brent Key and Marco Coleman's interview together when Collins was first hired, you could tell Key was trying to keep Coleman on the talking points "approved" by Collins.

I think everyone has gone back to actual coaching and giving honest assessments in their pressers. Sometimes the team needs to hear they're not doing as good as they think, or players need to know where they stand. CPJ was pretty honest and open with his assessments, and sometimes we thought he might have gone overboard with his critiques.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm almost certain Collins had talking points he wanted coaches to talk about, and other points he wanted them to stay away from. He tried to keep it positive, and he didn't like to criticize players or talk about what went wrong. If you remember Brent Key and Marco Coleman's interview together when Collins was first hired, you could tell Key was trying to keep Coleman on the talking points "approved" by Collins.

I think everyone has gone back to actual coaching and giving honest assessments in their pressers. Sometimes the team needs to hear they're not doing as good as they think, or players need to know where they stand. CPJ was pretty honest and open with his assessments, and sometimes we thought he might have gone overboard with his critiques.
it’s all a balancing act. too much calling out players and tough football guy routine and you come across like a dickhead a la brian kelly and jimbo fisher. too nice and too rah rah and you’re collins. there’s hard asses who are successful and nice guys too. just depends on the coach

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
it’s all a balancing act. too much calling out players and tough football guy routine and you come across like a dickhead a la brian kelly and jimbo fisher. too nice and too rah rah and you’re collins. there’s hard asses who are successful and nice guys too. just depends on the coach
I think the determining factor is authenticity. A coach needs to do whatever he can to put his players in positions to succeed. Some coaches are a little more goofy, but the difference between Pete Carroll and TFG is that Pete Carroll still prioritizes performance over optics; he’s goofy because that’s his actual personality, not because he wants the players to like him. Similarly, the difference between CPJ and many Belichick assistants is that CPJ is tough on his players because he believes that it’s the best way he can prepare them. It’s just genuinely his way of showing that he cares. On the other hand, Matt Patricia acted like a hard-*** because it worked for Belichick, not because it matched his own strengths.