Spring Practice

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What’s the article say?
Snippet from page one in the printed version...
Screenshot_20230331-070313.png

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully it doesn’t end up like the OL in 2015. I remember saying “We’re losing our best lineman, but it’s not like Shaq Mason was blocking for five people.” Oh how wrong I was
I think you had it right. It wasn't just the loss of Shaq. Chris Griffin missed the whole year to a torn ACL and most of the rest of O-line had nagging injuries in 2015.
That's always the most unknown variable - how many will stay healthy.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
In short....we lost Keion White, but return 7 of the 8 rotation guys and added the transfer from Clemson. So the line should be good.
Agreed. I think the other dudes started to shine near the end. With Coleman coming back to an experienced group, I don’t see it being a weakness.
Way more concerned about OL. We only lose Quick there, but across the board we’re still near the bottom in the ACC. The new OL coach has a really good track record, and the younger guys are reportedly getting serious in the weight room, so hope we take a step up.

God I’m excited for this season

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think you had it right. It wasn't just the loss of Shaq. Chris Griffin missed the whole year to a torn ACL and most of the rest of O-line had nagging injuries in 2015.
That's always the most unknown variable - how many will stay healthy.

I remember CPJ saying at some point that Laskey and Days made that 2014 line look a lot better than it actually was.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I think the other dudes started to shine near the end. With Coleman coming back to an experienced group, I don’t see it being a weakness.
Way more concerned about OL. We only lose Quick there, but across the board we’re still near the bottom in the ACC. The new OL coach has a really good track record, and the younger guys are reportedly getting serious in the weight room, so hope we take a step up.

Those guys played way better the last couple of games, i’m actually cautiously optimistic about them for the first time in years

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember CPJ saying at some point that Laskey and Days made that 2014 line look a lot better than it actually was.
Yep. He said that after the season was over in one of those review/recap interviews of the year. I was a little surprised to hear that after all the praise the line received.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Vaipulu is gone too, though he wasn't starting I don't think.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As of the Pitt game, he was backing up Pierce Quick

We recently added an AD and promoted from within a head football coach who each have Alabama training. . Alabama recruits pro size players. They have very very few players that are outside of that mold. Their players are pro ready in year 3.
While we won't get the really big and really fast players, we will be getting players that can be very competitive in year 4.

I kind off hope we still have a few smaller gamer types like the walk on linebacker - smith iirc - who could not be blocked.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We recently added an AD and promoted from within a head football coach who each have Alabama training. . Alabama recruits pro size players. They have very very few players that are outside of that mold. Their players are pro ready in year 3.
While we won't get the really big and really fast players, we will be getting players that can be very competitive in year 4.

I kind off hope we still have a few smaller gamer types like the walk on linebacker - smith iirc - who could not be blocked.
"While we won't get the really big and really fast players, we will be getting players that can be very competitive in year 4."

I think we can and will get the really big, fast, talented type players, might take a couple years but I see no reason that the new GTFB system will not be able to do so, we're going to eventually have much more to sell than most of the others, at least for what those type kids are looking to do with their lives. We just have to show the potential for reaching the top in CFB and they will want to come to GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thack used "elite" but I'll let this one go. ;)

LOL. Old habits.

Like Key, I'm excited to see what Thacker can do when the defense is totally his. We got a glimpse last season, but now he gets a full spring and fall camp to do it "his way". There are some REALLY good players that were young, and should have more of an impact this season...especially on the DL. Secondary is finally playing to its potential. LBs will be the key.

I expect the defense to be the strength of the team early until Faulkner's offense starts gelling. May take till mid season before our offense is somewhat humming.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"While we won't get the really big and really fast players, we will be getting players that can be very competitive in year 4."

I think we can and will get the really big, fast, talented type players, might take a couple years but I see no reason that the new GTFB system will not be able to do so, we're going to eventually have much more to sell than most of the others, at least for what those type kids are looking to do with their lives. We just have to show the potential for reaching the top in CFB and they will want to come to GT.
To get to point where we can get an occasional stud will require a period where our position coaches demonstrate they can place good recruits on the All ACC team and get them drafted. This needs to be done while we have winninng record too.

The Excellent player who can and wants our academic rigor, limited course offering , minimal NIL , and half filled stadium is the Exception. Need bigger recruiting net .

TFP got g5 or rookie position coaches and then couldnt make in game genius adjustments. At least we now look like we are on right path.