Spring Practice

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Gt had a big rain at spring practice scrimmage. We had a number of top recruits - 5 star DT Stone.
Did the head gt coach have practice in the indoor facility so he could talk to the recruits (TFP) or did he go coach in the rain. Yea, he coached then recruited. Report on Rivals is that recruits were very impressed and have been recruited by muliple coaches.
Steady, steady, dont get too optimistic.

Again, we see that Brent Key is a football coach.

In my professional life (dotcom startups and scale-ups), a lot of noise was made 20 or so years ago about the "work culture" of the types of companies I work at. Things like people riding around on Razor scooters, foosball tables, casual dress, and catered lunches were often cited as the different "culture" that these companies offered.

But culture is not a kegerator, or wearing flip flops to work. It's not about office parties or shooting pool at lunch. Culture is about how you get sh!t done as a team. It can be any number of things - how you hold each other accountable; how you effectively communicate; how you set goals; the standards you demand; whether you focus on butts-in-seats-by-a-certain-time or results. In the professional world, those things are the currency of culture.

The past 4 years of GT football seem a bit like the Covid years in general life. Lots of bad stuff happened. It all seems like a blur. But at the same time, it seemed to drag on forever. And there was a lot of talk about #404theculture. But for TFG, "culture" seemed to mean what sort of music plays at practice and on the PA in Bobby Dodd, and what threads the team is wearing when not on the field. IT was all the bling, and none of the substance. All sizzle, and no steak.

So I'm optimistic about what Key's doing, because it seems to be a real culture he's building. Rome wasn't built in a day. A mindset of toughness starts with doing the work you're there to do - that you're accountable for. If it's raining during practice, by God, we'll practice in the rain. Just like we would do on gameday. You do those things over and over again, and you develop a REAL culture - not just hashtags and perks and sneakers.

Recruits can see that. Authenticity is pervasive. The types of guys we want, that will resonate with them (whether it resonates more than a 7-figure paycheck? That remains to be seen).

We're staying consistent, and IMO doing the right things to attract and develop guys who are tough and ready to do the work. Does that win football games? No. But it's an essential step in that direction. And if we continue to do that consistently, it will pay dividends. But there aren't any shortcuts. You have to build it one brick at a time. No way around it - you've gotta go through it, and that's what we're doing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
^ Excellent points. I will add on to that, prior to "culture", "morale" was a buzzword. I worked at some places where the culture or morale was poor to "meh". Efforts were made to "improve the morale" at these places with banners, picnics, balloons, tee shirts, slogans, etc. Then I found a place where I really enjoyed. No one talked about these things. Instead focus was spent on results and process improvement. People who were either incapable or unwilling or unmotivated to aid in these efforts were freed up to pursue other opportunities. It was a team environment where everyone pulled their weight. It was the best organization I have ever worked for or been associated with. Sadly, things change as they so often do (acquisition) and things began to deteriorate pretty quickly. I moved on. The place is still in operation but a mere shell of its former self.

From my work experiences, morale or culture is not something you create or artificially manufacture or even consciously focus on... It is a byproduct of having high standards, consistency, accountability and doing the right things.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
^ Excellent points. I will add on to that, prior to "culture", "morale" was a buzzword. I worked at some places where the culture or morale was poor to "meh". Efforts were made to "improve the morale" at these places with banners, picnics, balloons, tee shirts, slogans, etc. Then I found a place where I really enjoyed. No one talked about these things. Instead focus was spent on results and process improvement. People who were either incapable or unwilling or unmotivated to aid in these efforts were freed up to pursue other opportunities. It was a team environment where everyone pulled their weight. It was the best organization I have ever worked for or been associated with. Sadly, things change as they so often do (acquisition) and things began to deteriorate pretty quickly. I moved on. The place is still in operation but a mere shell of its former self.

From my work experiences, morale or culture is not something you create or artificially manufacture or even consciously focus on... It is a byproduct of having high standards, consistency, accountability and doing the right things.
What I’ve found when it comes to work culture and leadership is this: if a worker believes that his leader has his best interests at heart, then he’ll do what’s asked without question and focus on doing the best job he can. If the worker doubts the motives of his leader, then he’ll constantly be evaluating his orders and spending mental energy figuring out “Who’s benefiting from this, and how?” The latter eats into productivity to a large degree. Brent seems to have the trust of his players, and I think he’ll continue to earn it, which will pay huge dividends in fixing the issues he inherited from his predecessor.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I have it on my quote board in my office:

There never was anything by the wit of man so well-devised or so sure established which in continuance of time hath not been corrupted.
- Introduction to the Book of Common Prayer, 1549

Truer words were never writ.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Its hard to be the sole member.
Hang in there bro, somebody will come along soon.

Lonely The Simpsons GIF

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
WR’s are the least of our concerns. The only thing that matters is the offensive line. If the OLine is decent, or dare I say it, good, then whoever plays QB, RB, or WR will make some plays. Everything else regarding the team is somewhat meaningless. Without an OLine who can perform we will continue to be a bottom feeder regardless of QB, RB, or WR play. The defense will be fine for a mid level ACC team. And special teams have no where to go but up.
Yeah, but we are still at least 3-4 years away from a rebuilt o line (tic)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
WR’s are the least of our concerns. The only thing that matters is the offensive line. If the OLine is decent, or dare I say it, good, then whoever plays QB, RB, or WR will make some plays. Everything else regarding the team is somewhat meaningless. Without an OLine who can perform we will continue to be a bottom feeder regardless of QB, RB, or WR play. The defense will be fine for a mid level ACC team. And special teams have no where to go but up.
I sorta agree, but I've seen too many teams report so-so PLs and suddenly break out because they found a good/great QB to fully agree. A good QB can lift even a mediocre team; see Nick Ferguson at MSU. And, as I've said, I think we have a potential second Ferguson at Tech in Pyron. My favorite example is from Austin College. A friend of mine went there. They had a new QB come in his freshman year. They went 20 - 0 with conference championships for the next two years. Then the QB decided to concentrate on his studies. 0 - 11. Then the coach got him to reconsider and play again ih his senior year. 11 - 0.

Well, we won't know until next year if we have that kind of player behind center and I doubt we'll get the same results as Austin did. Still, a guy can hope..

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I sorta agree, but I've seen too many teams report so-so PLs and suddenly break out because they found a good/great QB to fully agree. A good QB can lift even a mediocre team; see Nick Ferguson at MSU. And, as I've said, I think we have a potential second Ferguson at Tech in Pyron. My favorite example is from Austin College. A friend of mine went there. They had a new QB come in his freshman year. They went 20 - 0 with conference championships for the next two years. Then the QB decided to concentrate on his studies. 0 - 11. Then the coach got him to reconsider and play again ih his senior year. 11 - 0.

Well, we won't know until next year if we have that kind of player behind center and I doubt we'll get the same results as Austin did. Still, a guy can hope..
I agree that a QB can make it better. But that’s basically fools gold. It’s simply hoping from week to week that our QB can make magic. That will win some games in an incredibly weak ACC, but it means we know we’ll lose several games. Also, when that QB gets injured we are toast- ala last year when Pyron went down. We all know the simple fact that a good OLine makes a good team. You simply don’t see good teams with bad OLines. Unfortunately, GT football has taken a huge step back since 2015 and are now in the tier of teams that “hope” to win and not expect to win. Key has his chance to move us back into a higher tier.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that a QB can make it better. But that’s basically fools gold. It’s simply hoping from week to week that our QB can make magic. That will win some games in an incredibly weak ACC, but it means we know we’ll lose several games. Also, when that QB gets injured we are toast- ala last year when Pyron went down. We all know the simple fact that a good OLine makes a good team. You simply don’t see good teams with bad OLines. Unfortunately, GT football has taken a huge step back since 2015 and are now in the tier of teams that “hope” to win and not expect to win. Key has his chance to move us back into a higher tier.
Well … Tech did win 9 games in 2016 and 7 in 2017. Now, if you had picked 2018 as your starting date, no problemo.