1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Spring Practice

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Oakland, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Oakland

Oakland Helluva Engineer

I know its way too early, but what do you guy want to see.
    Me, I think its time to ask Tobias Oliver to move to defensive back. He's just too good of an athlete to be subbing in as a receiver. Plus we get 4 star Marquez Ezzard in the rotation. I see him being another Christian Campbell or better. He just looks out of place at receiver and if he has any plans of playing at the next level, DB would benefit him. We can't waste a player like Oliver.

64jacket and YellowJacketFan2018 like this.
  2. alagold

alagold Helluva Engineer

Lets grow him to 290 for DL, that's what we really need.

3. gte447f

gte447f Helluva Engineer

IMHO, Oliver is not a next level player at any position.

4. TampaGT

TampaGT Helluva Engineer

I don’t think he will be on the team next year. No info just a guess.

5. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

It doesn't make much sense to put Oliver at DB. It's the area we have the least need for, and it doesn't take any advantage of his running ability. RB probably fits him better than WR but what we have kind of makes that a non option.

At WR his best role is probably as a #3 or 4 option trying to take advantage of matches against LBs while Brown/Ezzard/Gowdy take the attention of the DBs. Oliver probably won't be a great route runner or have the best WR skills (in terms of good hands and being able to high point the ball consistently and the like), but with the ball in his hands he's probably better than any of the other WRs.

Gtbowhunter90 and smokey_wasp like this.
  6. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

I want to see how many players are left. We may need a bunch of transfers to come in to make 85.

YellowJacketFan2018 and TooTall like this.
  7. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

If Oliver is on the team next year, the only meaningful PT he is likely to see would be on ST as a returner.

Boaty1 likes this.
  8. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

29 commits (tic) > 8 seniors leaving... Hopefully not too many are - time for the dreaded word - "processed" so that we are too thin at any position.

9. SOWEGA Jacket

SOWEGA Jacket Helluva Engineer

I agree. I hope he stays to get that degree but his playing time is done.

10. RickStromFan

RickStromFan Helluva Engineer

no one was hurt by PJ's retirement more than TO.

chewybaka, TooTall and Gtbowhunter90 like this.
  11. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

A few former ABs who had to transfer might disagree, but the overall point remains. TO is a great athlete without a position. As an athlete he's amazing, but he's not quite good enough at any single position to beat out the players we will have on deck next year, IMO.

Jacket05 likes this.
  12. KCJackets

KCJackets Helluva Engineer

Agree. His body language and demeanor have not been great, but maybe that's just his personality.

13. gtg845w

gtg845w Ramblin' Wreck

Go to kennesaw st TO and win a fcs championship next year!

Gtbowhunter90 likes this.
  14. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

He is caught in no man's land. A QB that is not a great passer but very good in the open field as a runner. WR is a better position for him if he wants a pro career but so far he has struggled at the position. I hope he stays, improves at the position and graduates. I wish him well whatever he chose to do. He gave us some great moments at QB.

15. 1BearJACKET

1BearJACKET Helluva Engineer

I want to see Yates and Gleason battling out for the QB position and put Graham at DB with Oliver, or into the RB rotation.

16. ibeattetris

ibeattetris Helluva Engineer

I don’t think this is realistic. Graham has to be QB until at least partway through the season. Even if Yates or Gleason win the starting job, you have to have a QB with more game experience than Yates has as a back up.

CuseJacket likes this.
  17. JacketOff

JacketOff Helluva Engineer

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think it’s definitely Graham’s job to lose, but if he gets outperformed in camp I’ve got no problem with either Yates or Gleason starting in week 1. If either one of those guys beats out Graham, you have to assume they’re the QB of the future, and they have to play in games to get the most out of it. I also wouldn’t mind if Graham started and played most of the snaps in week 1 regardless, but whoever they determine won the job needs to play all game against GW. Unless of course that game turns to doom and gloom like El Cid. Can’t afford to play QB roulette against GW and lose.

18. ibeattetris

ibeattetris Helluva Engineer

Right, I was trying to say that Graham should remain a QB as back up if Yates or Gleason win the job. The poster I responded to said to move Graham to DB. I do not think Graham should be moved positions even if he loses. His experience is needed at the position.

Boaty1 likes this.
  19. jgtengineer

jgtengineer Helluva Engineer

TO should transfer to kennesaw, Play QB win a walter payton award.

upwgdrb and gtg845w like this.
  20. boger2337

boger2337 Helluva Engineer

Agreed 10000% he is an athlete. Not so much a great football player. Not someone who will change a game day in and day out. Not for a blue chip team.