Spring Practice

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I seem to be out of sync lately with many posters. That said, I'll be surprised if anyone passes Graham spring or fall. If Yates or Gleason pass him, that would tell me they are some kinda good. But it is likely that either would go through the same growing pains as Graham did this year. Graham just needs to throw a zillion passes between now and the opening game. I don't know why he throws three pretty ones then throws the next one in the ground, but repetition would surely help.

Also, Oliver hasn't been a receiver long enough to judge. The guy had excellent speed and shiftiness as a QB. I don't see why those abilities wouldn't make him a good receiver given time to learn the position.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the QB situation depends on where CGC and CDP want the offense to go over the next couple years. If they want to keep QB runs and option stuff in, then Graham and Yates will be the front runners. If they want to transition further towards a pocket passer, pro-style, then Gleason and the 2 walkon QBs will be in the lead. I think until we have the depth we want at OL and TE, they'll stick to the dual threat QB style we saw this year. Besides all that, we'll need a major performance upgrade from the OL to be at all threatening on offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would much rather have Bently from SC. Frank's may be as bad as Graham throwing
My dentist is an avid u f fan. Says Franks does not read his progressions and goes for homerun to often. Maybe cgc could get him to be team guy.

We need some sr transfers in almost every position group.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Forget Kennesaw...he would be a perfect fit at Army...I'm from that area around west point...he would be a rock star there...
One of those schools requires a commitment to the Army that he may or may not have any interest in. Plus, can you even transfer into Army? The way the academies structure upper class and lower class would make me think not.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One of those schools requires a commitment to the Army that he may or may not have any interest in. Plus, can you even transfer into Army? The way the academies structure upper class and lower class would make me think not.

You can only transfer in an academy if you have been doing ROTC already i believe.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Forget Kennesaw...he would be a perfect fit at Army...I'm from that area around west point...he would be a rock star there...

He's likely to old for West Point. You have to be admitted end enrolled before you turn 22 and the nomination process takes a decent bit of time. If he's not already started it he most likely won't make it in time.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not true. You can enter the Academy at any point before you turn 22, but as I said above, it's not a quick process.

Plus you don't transfer in. You start all over and go for 4 years.

Ah ok. I remember there being something in the ROTC briefing about the academy freshman year. But couldn't remember what it was.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I want to see someone like Fridge come in as an offensive consultant. I know it won't happen, but that's what I want to see in Spring. Too old to want to do it full time, but enough love for his old team to want to help out. Now all this would be left up to GC asking for help.

You may be correct, but what info do you have as-to “enough love for his old team ....”?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You may be correct, but what info do you have as-to “enough love for his old team ....”?

Zero, just assuming. You know what that does though

There was a quote in the paper a few years ago where Friedgen said he still flew his GT flag at the house. It was a dig at Maryland, who had fired him a year earlier, but he did say it. Some people took it to mean he was still a big GT fan. I wouldn't say he isn't fond of his time here, but I really think that quote was meant more as a dig at Maryland.

Found a reference link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...lag-right-now/2011/09/30/gIQAd61v9K_blog.html

Edit to add that I truly believe RF loves GT. Wanted to clarify.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Well. Here first hand to tell you he loves gt and is, still is, and will always be a fan. Straight from his mouth.

The discussion cgc had with george and ralph was purely offseason. Not during and not schematically as I understand. Alot was about the school and peripheral support

Ralph is not and wasnt an active consultant.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to see someone like Fridge come in as an offensive consultant. I know it won't happen, but that's what I want to see in Spring. Too old to want to do it full time, but enough love for his old team to want to help out. Now all this would be left up to GC asking for help.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I sure would like to see someone like 'a Ralph Friedgen' brought in to coach QB's and the offense in general. Graham and Lil Joe have different body types but otherwise Graham reminds me of Joe's skill types. Remember, in his first year Joe didn't exactly set the world on fire although you could definitely see the potential. O'Leary brought in Friedgen then late of San Diego, he simplified the offense a bit, took Joe under his wing and voila! we had us a GREAT QB. I'm not sure CDP is the person to really develop Graham ( or anyone else for thst matter). Graham has some serious skills but he definitely needs some help in reading his progressions quicker and hitting medium range passes.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I seem to be out of sync lately with many posters. That said, I'll be surprised if anyone passes Graham spring or fall. If Yates or Gleason pass him, that would tell me they are some kinda good. But it is likely that either would go through the same growing pains as Graham did this year. Graham just needs to throw a zillion passes between now and the opening game. I don't know why he throws three pretty ones then throws the next one in the ground, but repetition would surely help.

Also, Oliver hasn't been a receiver long enough to judge. The guy had excellent speed and shiftiness as a QB. I don't see why those abilities wouldn't make him a good receiver given time to learn the position.
Oliver should be catching screens, dump-off passes etc that allow him to use his amazing running abilities with the ball in his hands