Spring Practice

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad the WR are getting to play and get shine. Saw Gantt is a slot now. Whatley has size for WR and had a good practice. Will be interesting to see how all these guys look come game day.

Sanders got 3 TD’s in practice.

When CPJ recruited Gant and Omarhi Jarrett, I thought he was up to something. Possibly having us pass more and use more RnS. Gant and Jarrett were more slot guys than typical RBs that fit the AB mold. People forget, but Gant was highly rated before committing to us early in the process. Alas, we never saw Jarrett's or Gant's talents fully utilized.

I said it in another thread, a few players are going to seemingly come out of nowhere and ball out in Patenaude's offense because it's just a better fit for them.

Let's see who those players will be...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ recruited Gant and Omarhi Jarrett, I thought he was up to something. Possibly having us pass more and use more RnS. Gant and Jarrett were more slot guys than typical RBs that fit the AB mold. People forget, but Gant was highly rated before committing to us early in the process. Alas, we never saw Jarrett's or Gant's talents fully utilized.

I said it in another thread, a few players are going to seemingly come out of nowhere and ball out in Patenaude's offense because it's just a better fit for them.

A lot of our Abacks played slot in HS didn't they? I think Searcy started here as a WR before moving to A back. Lynch was a receiver in HS. JT threw to 1 and 22 a lot. I don't think Gantt and Jarrett were part of a new plan per se. They just didn't see the field much because they had veterans ahead of them.

ChattGT

Georgia Tech Fan

I hope you’re right. But WRs need a QB that can get the ball to them and the QB needs an OL to protect them, two things we’ve not seen at GT in a while. I’m hoping it was the scheme, not the players but I suspect it was a little of both that hampered the passing game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'm not surprised that the coaches are pleasantly surprised by our players.

What people who disparage our recruiting over the years tend to forget is that Tech has had consistently higher recruiting rankings then Temple, where a lot of our coaches come from. Also, Paul was really good at spotting talent - Sanders and Camp are good examples - that flew below the horizon, getting in touch with them in a stealthy fashion, then signing them at the last minute before anyone else could track what we were up to. If you look at the offers Tech recruits had over the years, it is obvious that other programs - Puke, Rutgers(?), Kentucky, Indiana, Perdue, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, and a couple of others - were following who we offered and chiming in after we did. We returned the favor in some instances, but we were usually first. Hence, the stealthy approach.

Also, I'm betting that Jarrett ends up returning KOs for us next year. I think that's what we were planning on for him; he was dynamite in the role in high school. That way we could save Thomas's legs and use him to return punts. But we'll see.

Last edited: