Spring Practice

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Ken almost badger CPJ a few years back by asking basically the same question slightly re-worded in different interviews? I might not be remembering right...

The one I remember was about two-a-days. Every day for about two weeks during summer camp he would ask a question about two-a-days. GT didn't have any that year. The NCAA banned them last year. I don't remember if is was last year of 2016 when Ken was asking. CPJ first answered that GT didn't have any because they only had so many practices in so many days for summer camp. If GT scheduled a two-a-day, they would have to skip an additional day to keep from going over the maximum number of allowed practices. Ken then asked the same or similar question at every press conference for about two weeks. He then published an article about the decline in NCAA football of two-a-days. He should have probably asked the actual questions he wanted answered more directly, or asked for some time alone with CPJ to get the info he wanted for that story. I recall that I was very confused about what and why he was asking those questions.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
when "Grumpy" gets hard questions from Ken about his 2 of 3 losing seasons ,he is embarrassed

Paul Johnson has never shied away form answering a "hard question" the problem is his answers are usually honest. " Coach why are you losing?" was a common question in 2015. The answer cpj haters wanted ( and most of the ajc) was " I suck". The correct answer was injuries had forced us to play 15 true freshman leading to a very inconsistent offense. We were losing a lot of one possession games. He said that and people go " excuses" when the reality is that is exactly what happened.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Paul Johnson has never shied away form answering a "hard question" the problem is his answers are usually honest. " Coach why are you losing?" was a common question in 2015. The answer cpj haters wanted ( and most of the ajc) was " I suck". The correct answer was injuries had forced us to play 15 true freshman leading to a very inconsistent offense. We were losing a lot of one possession games. He said that and people go " excuses" when the reality is that is exactly what happened.
What is interesting is that playing 15 true freshman in 2015, did not translate to anything positive in 2018... One would think that while GT took the inexperience lumps in 2015 that would have had led to a better season in 2018...

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Just because it MAY be true doesn't make it a legitimate excuse.Another might be-"-er, because my players aren't good enough". ok,well ,who recruited them?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just because it MAY be true doesn't make it a legitimate excuse.Another might be-"-er, because my players aren't good enough". ok,well ,who recruited them?

Recruiting isn't a vacuum. How is that people can't get that we have far more negative recruiting things about us that anyone else in the country ( besides maybe the academies). We literally have to fight the crap school systems in our recruiting hotbed

GT_EE78

Banned
when "Grumpy" gets hard questions from Ken about his 2 of 3 losing seasons ,he is embarrassed
upload_2018-3-28_18-3-52.jpeg

GTFLETCH

Banned
Are we skipping over 2016 because it doesn't fit your narrative? Also, we haven't played 2018 season yet.
Someone hacked me..I had 2017...then Someone edited my post to say 2018... but yea those 15 tru freshman shouls have been leaders in 2017 and should be the glue for 2018...hopefully they are.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Recruiting isn't a vacuum. How is that people can't get that we have far more negative recruiting things about us that anyone else in the country ( besides maybe the academies). We literally have to fight the crap school systems in our recruiting hotbed
George Oleary did it... 5 top 25 finishes in 7 years...3-4 vs UGA..... in 16 years since GO was on the Flats we have had 3 top 25 finishes and are 3-13 vs UGA...

GTFLETCH

Banned
O'Leary did it without APR. Now APR doesn't matter to ugag or Clemson, but at a school with some integrity, it limits who you recruit.
Good Point... we should have a list..Pre & Post.... for example

ALL TIME GT Coaches

PRE APR
1. Bobby Dodd
2. William Alexander
3. John Heisman
4. Bobby Ross
5. George Oleary

Post APR
1. Paul Johnson
2. Chan Gailey

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good Point... we should have a list..Pre & Post.... for example

ALL TIME GT Coaches

PRE APR
1. Bobby Dodd
2. William Alexander
3. John Heisman
4. Bobby Ross
5. George Oleary

Post APR
1. Paul Johnson
2. Chan Gailey
Heisman 3rd? Ok...

He won 71% of his games at Tech

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
GOL also coached against Goff and Donnan. Good to very good recruiters. But not much else.
PJ has had to go against Richt - good recruiter, good coach - and Smart, who has so far managed to get to a NCG with what was overwhelmingly Richt's talent, save for QB, and managed not to lose to an absolutely godawful Nicholls State team at home.
this also isn't the Duke of the Carl Franks/Fred Goldschmidt era. Cut has been a vast improvement over the previous Duke coaches.
That said, we need to stick a foot up their *** this year.