Spring Practice

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
when "Grumpy" gets hard questions from Ken about his 2 of 3 losing seasons ,he is embarrassed

Could be but the answer to all of that is "get better" every day between now and the start of the season in all three phases. We spend about 70% of the time on here, me included, jabbering endlessly about the offense but it is defense and special teams which are the bedrock of good football teams. Win more ball games and you get fewer "embarrassing questions" from Ken and everybody else including "grumpy" fans like me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Good Point... we should have a list..Pre & Post.... for example

ALL TIME GT Coaches

PRE APR
1. Bobby Dodd
2. William Alexander
3. John Heisman
4. Bobby Ross
5. George Oleary

Post APR
1. Paul Johnson
2. Chan Gailey

Heisman should be second. Bill won a national championship but his record in the 30s and 40s was not good. Dodd even went so far to say (much later mind you) that Alexander would have been fired at any other school in the country. It is remarkable that from nearly the turn of the century when Heisman was coaching to 1966 Tech had in about a 60 plus year span only three coaches: Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can top that.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
GOL also coached against Goff and Donnan. Good to very good recruiters. But not much else.
PJ has had to go against Richt - good recruiter, good coach - and Smart, who has so far managed to get to a NCG with what was overwhelmingly Richt's talent, save for QB, and managed not to lose to an absolutely godawful Nicholls State team at home.
this also isn't the Duke of the Carl Franks/Fred Goldschmidt era. Cut has been a vast improvement over the previous Duke coaches.
That said, we need to stick a foot up their *** this year.

Coach O'Leary was in his prime at Tech and had the benefit of having two of the very best quarterbacks to play for him in JoeHam and Goose. He also benefited from an ACC that was perhaps a little bit less competitive than now save for FSU and one or two others that might have been better then. UNC and UVA come to mind but just about everyone else from Duke and Wake Forest to Virginia Tech and Miami are probably a shade or two better now. It is a very competitive conference now. The old Tobacco Road basketball days are long gone.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Huh. Asa at dl, and sounds like he would prefer to be an olb.

This would seem to confirm the notion that Woody prizes quickness Above All Else.

I should probably clarify to say functional quickness, meaning some combination of physical quickness and instincts.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Huh. Asa at dl, and sounds like he would prefer to be an olb.

This would seem to confirm the notion that Woody prizes quickness Above All Else.

I should probably clarify to say functional quickness, meaning some combination of physical quickness and instincts.
I keep hearing defensive guys saying the new defense is simple. I like that. Play fast. See ball, get ball.