Spring Practice

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
ASA in a three man front is not workable against the top competitors.
I'm not gonna lie, that's my first instinct as well, but I'm willing to give it a look. (I'm also willing to give a guy a LITTLE bit of a break in his first year, because he doesn't have guys recruited to play in his system. As long as they show me something, I can accept the notion that it's not the platonic ideal of his system just yet. We all remember Lucas Cox at A back in PJ's first year)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hold it. Did I miss something?

Coach was talking like there wasn't any doubt that DeFoor would get to play this coming year. I thought the NCAA was still dragging its collective feet on that. Did we hear some good news? If so, when?

In spite of what I posted earlier. I have always felt a bit of sympathy for Ken. Seems like Coach Johnson gives him a hard time sometimes. Don't know why. Do they have a um past history?
IIRC, Ken prematurely reported on something from practice, and it pissed CPJ off. I think it's all settled now, although from what I hear, Johnson still gives him sort of a bad time. I just hope that Johnson recognizes what a great job Ken does, not only in covering the current team(s), but in digging into Tech history. I almost always enjoy reading his articles.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Hold it. Did I miss something?

Coach was talking like there wasn't any doubt that DeFoor would get to play this coming year. I thought the NCAA was still dragging its collective feet on that. Did we hear some good news? If so, when?
No news but in Spring you practice like everyone is gonna play. In Summer/Fall practice they start breaking into who actually will play.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm not gonna lie, that's my first instinct as well, but I'm willing to give it a look. (I'm also willing to give a guy a LITTLE bit of a break in his first year, because he doesn't have guys recruited to play in his system. As long as they show me something, I can accept the notion that it's not the platonic ideal of his system just yet. We all remember Lucas Cox at A back in PJ's first year)
On def there is going to be a BUNCH of shifting of guys in positions at first (and maybe later)

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Coach O'Leary was in his prime at Tech and had the benefit of having two of the very best quarterbacks to play for him in JoeHam and Goose. He also benefited from an ACC that was perhaps a little bit less competitive than now save for FSU and one or two others that might have been better then. UNC and UVA come to mind but just about everyone else from Duke and Wake Forest to Virginia Tech and Miami are probably a shade or two better now. It is a very competitive conference now. The old Tobacco Road basketball days are long gone.

This is a remarkable post, but all too typical of the fans on this board who are clueless about what it takes to have a successful program or are happy with mediocrity. I am not sure which it is.

O'Leary didn't "ha(ve) the benefit" of Hamilton and Godsey. He put a staff in place that RECRUITED. He understood the importance of recruiting players-- and coaches. Danny Smith-who I knew--recruited Hamilton. Danny was an energetic fun guy who resonated with kids--not some lazy grump.

During those years we were the second best team in the ACC behind FSU, which was a top 5 team. The "ACC is better now" is just another excuse in a long litany of excuses for Johnson apologists. We were a perennial top 25 team---and not that long ago. We were top 25 nationally; comparative ACC strength is irrelevant.

We could be there again with the right leadership, which we haven't had since Homer retired.

But go ahead. Embrace your excuses--and your losses.

Why do we have so many loser fans? Why do they come on this board and show pride in mediocrity that is clothed in excuses instead of demanding better? Embarrassing. It's not what the Institute stands for.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is a remarkable post, but all too typical of the fans on this board who are clueless about what it takes to have a successful program or are happy with mediocrity. I am not sure which it is.

O'Leary didn't "ha(ve) the benefit" of Hamilton and Godsey. He put a staff in place that RECRUITED. He understood the importance of recruiting players-- and coaches. Danny Smith-who I knew--recruited Hamilton. Danny was an energetic fun guy who resonated with kids--not some lazy grump.

During those years we were the second best team in the ACC behind FSU, which was a top 5 team. The "ACC is better now" is just another excuse in a long litany of excuses for Johnson apologists. We were a perennial top 25 team---and not that long ago. We were top 25 nationally; comparative ACC strength is irrelevant.

We could be there again with the right leadership, which we haven't had since Homer retired.

Why do we have so many loser fans? Why do they come on this board and show pride in mediocrity that is clothed in excuses instead of demanding better? Embarrassing. It's not what the Institute stands for.

:sleep:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

No doubt Jacketup. The attitude of the fan base is the most depressing aspect of GT athletics. The willingness to accept our perceived new place in the bottom quarter of Power 5 football despite the fact it doesn’t match our historical standards dives me mad and I believe this attitude is a large inhibitor to the success of our program.

I know this upsets people and many disagree but it’s my honest opinion. I hate rolling over and I feel like that is what this fan base has become accustomed to doing. Excuses have always been and always will be for losers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No doubt Jacketup. The attitude of the fan base is the most depressing aspect of GT athletics. The willingness to accept our perceived new place in the bottom quarter of Power 5 football despite the fact it doesn’t match our historical standards dives me mad and I believe this attitude is a large inhibitor to the success of our program.

I know this upsets people and many disagree but it’s my honest opinion. I hate rolling over and I feel like that is what this fan base has become accustomed to doing. Excuses have always been and always will be for losers.
Solutions?