Spring Practice

Techster

Helluva Engineer

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think I recall that being the case. How many minutes did 2nd string play?

But let’s just concede that one year regardless. It would be a vast outlier. Certainly not the norm.

We were legit 2-deep at most positions on the o-line in '90, perhaps not every position, but most. They played a lot. And most were seniors, explaining why the drop-off after winning the MNC despite many skill position players returning.

But, yes. You're correct; '90 was an outlier and not the norm.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see what a good passer could do in this offense.

Man, ain't that the truth. And I don't take your post as a knock on the passing abilites of JeT and others past. It's crazy, b/c the first iteration of CPJ's offense was led by the perfect QB for it. I don't know if anyone will ever possess the combination of option skills, running ability, and passing ability of Tracy Ham.

Currently, at GT, the running/option skill set is going to win out over the passing skill set, and I agree with this hierarchy. But oh, to dream...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but staying healthy is an attribute just as important as speed or accuracy.

Very very true.

Man, ain't that the truth. And I don't take your post as a knock on the passing abilites of JeT and others past. It's crazy, b/c the first iteration of CPJ's offense was led by the perfect QB for it. I don't know if anyone will ever possess the combination of option skills, running ability, and passing ability of Tracy Ham.

Currently, at GT, the running/option skill set is going to win out over the passing skill set, and I agree with this hierarchy. But oh, to dream...

I think JeT's size was a big limiter on his ability to open up the passing game for us. We also had a lot of difficulty in pass pro. I think LJ could really add something different as he has height enough to have more of the field available to him faster, and I really loved his pocket presence under pressure in HS film. Might have less passing ability but more able to put him in position to execute the passing offense than JeT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You’ll probably have to wait until we are three scores down, late in the second half...

Didn't see it in Duke 2017 when we went 0 in second half.
Didn't see it in UGA 2017 when we lost by a ton?
Do we need wait till we have 3 games in a row?

Unless it's planned and practiced well in advance, I think coach is right to keep the starter.

Coach doesn't have a better back up plan. He could be right Ok on the swarm but rumbling out side.

2018 It's time !

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Most improved offensive players for spring.

“Wide receiver Jalen Camp was named three times, quarterback Lucas Johnson, A-back Omahri Jarrett and B-back Jerry Howard were named twice.”

https://www.myajc.com/sports/college/winner-yet-tech-battle-for-quarterback/nuXIGkMXFL9QYQbfz1XdNI/

I think we all saw that Camp is going to be an impact player. Seems like he was catching bombs in every spring practice report.

Lucas Johnson, even after missing 2 weeks? Hmm...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Too bad. Those can take awhile to come around. I hope LJ is ok for the fall. It could be one of those "if-it-was-fall-he'd-be-able-to-play" injuries; I'm betting that a lot of people now on the sidelines would be on the field if it wasn't spring.

Btw, with Graham joining the team then, I expect we'll see some real competition for the #2 QB spot. When you listen to Coach, it's obvious to me that he wants to see Johnson running the whole shebang before he makes any decisions. Right now, despite his injury, I think he has the inside track. But I said that about Jordan last year and we know what happened.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We were legit 2-deep at most positions on the o-line in '90, perhaps not every position, but most. They played a lot. And most were seniors, explaining why the drop-off after winning the MNC despite many skill position players returning.

But, yes. You're correct; '90 was an outlier and not the norm.

At least some of that apparent depth may have been out of necessity due to injuries rather than quality depth, an example being the UNC game (the tie that cost us an undisputed national championship). We had three offensive line starters out for that game. Following a long run by Shawn Jones, IIRC we had first and goal from about the UNC 5. And I think third and goal from the 1. Fourth and goal from the 1 right in front of me. We ran it four times and did not score. An incredibly frustrating afternoon in Chapel Hill and a game we could have easily lost.