Spring Practice

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Not as fast. Bebe ran 4.3 or 4.4
I don't know how fast Camp is. But, just his body type and even demeanor remind me of Bay Bay. I don't know if he's as athletic as Bay Bay - that's what made him special - stronger than a LB but smooth and explosive too ... with size. It seems Camp has some of the tools ... looking forward to seeing if he has the rest.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
According to huddle:

upload_2018-4-11_11-53-53.png

I'm sure these are high school stats, so I don't know where they would be now.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Baller Alert

I’ve got pretty high hopes for Jalen. He’s got all the physical tools to be just as good as anyone we’ve had in this offense, just needs that combination of opportunity and putting it all together. I look forward to watching him develop as that #1 option (no offense to Brad or any of the other guys, I just expect Jalen to grab onto that spot and not let go).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its interesting that the nfl combine reports hand size even for offensive line men.

1. I really really hope Camp has soft hands and the eye for timing his leap.

2. It is obvious that he has physical tools to be a great wr in our block heavy and to go up and fight for the ball.

I will gladly take 2 alone. But give him some of smelter's hands and some of brad s ability to time the high point and we will have a true difference maker on the offense.

This kid looks like he could start on miami u!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at JC's highlights from high school, it looks like the strength, hands, and jump ball ability have always been there.

If:
1) he carries out his blocking assignments and
2) can get separation with his lack of top-end speed,

then we are looking at our next great GT WR.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He has the potential to be really one of the best under PJ but he needs to get a little separation and TM has to deliver when he gets open. Also depends on pass blocking which we always seem to struggle with.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like he doesn't quite separate like Walker, bebe or hill. Was shocked to see that smelter has 11 inch hands, which was 99th percentile among drafted WRs.

Wonder if there are ways (smoke routes I guess) to use jalens strength and size.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Seems like he doesn't quite separate like Walker, bebe or hill. Was shocked to see that smelter has 11 inch hands, which was 99th percentile among drafted WRs.

Wonder if there are ways (smoke routes I guess) to use jalens strength and size.
All those guys were full time starters. I think we will see him get some separation this year with being a full time starter.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
For some reason, I thought Bebe had similar 40 yard number in HS.
It was like a 4.6 or something. I saw Giff Smith time him and he ran a 4.6 with an absolutely horrible get-off. That's why 40-times don't often tell the story of how fast a guy really is - if a guy trains specifically for running a 40 with the start and everything (plus it depends on the surface, weather, etc) it will be way different even though his football speed is still the same. Not to mention, Bay Bay might've gotten faster as he developed physically.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It was like a 4.6 or something. I saw Giff Smith time him and he ran a 4.6 with an absolutely horrible get-off. That's why 40-times don't often tell the story of how fast a guy really is - if a guy trains specifically for running a 40 with the start and everything (plus it depends on the surface, weather, etc) it will be way different even though his football speed is still the same. Not to mention, Bay Bay might've gotten faster as he developed physically.
That was kind my round about point. He may end up with comparable Bebe speed as he matures. Lets hope so.