Spring Practice Thread

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure he deserves praise for stating the pure, unadulterated, and obvious to absolutely everybody truth. But at least he owns up to it. That's something, I suppose.

People have been complaining mightily that our coaches don’t talk about the deficiencies we had last year. Now we hear it from one of the coaches and the response is “that’s something, I suppose”? Really? I’m not suggesting you or anyone else should go gaga over it but if people are clamoring for something and then they get it then give the coach credit for that. In fact I don’t even recall YOU specifically giving our coach grief about this so don’t think that I’m lumping you in if that wasn’t you.

For me the utterance out loud that we struggled wasn’t necessary. Fixing it is what’s necessary. So while it’s refreshing to hear what was wrong I’m more interested to note some of the improvements in how our guys are now able to just go out, line up and run the play instead of having to spend time just installing the formations and basics. I’m interested to hear about the dedication in the training room and the film room that our new guys are showing. I’m interested in what Yates and Graham are doing and how much more comfortable they each are.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have been rushing to fire an OC who in his previous job at a major program that was winning ACC championships and finishing in the top 25, had two top 10 offenses and two more top 25 offenses. That’s slightly different than a guy who has yet in his 28 year career to ever coach on a team ranked in the FBS top 25 in any game, or field an offense ranked in the top 60 in the FBS.
But do remember before he was at Maryland he was the OC at Murray State and before that he was OC at William & Mary which before that he was the OC at Citadel. Sometimes it takes the players believing in what the coach is teaching.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have been rushing to fire an OC who in his previous job at a major program that was winning ACC championships and finishing in the top 25, had two top 10 offenses and two more top 25 offenses. That’s slightly different than a guy who has yet in his 28 year career to ever coach on a team ranked in the FBS top 25 in any game, or field an offense ranked in the top 60 in the FBS.

The criteria has changed so much from the original one

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Really. Let me introduce you to Tech fans.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Available personnel?

Well, let's see, we had an OL that wasn't P5 quality.
We had a R-Fr QB that missed spring practice due to academics when Patenaude was installing a completely new offense.
Our top 4 WRs from the previous year either graduated or were injured and unavailable.
Our starting RB from the year before graduated.

He's an OC, not Jesus.

Score in the red zone?
In 1990 we tied UNC, who wasn't that good. The only blemish on our record. We drove into the red zone all day but couldn't punch it in. Why? Our 3 best OT's were injured. See the point about the OL above. "Utilization" doesn't matter if you can't block.

Some people would have been after Ross to fire Friedgen after 1987 if message boards had been around.

There are many examples where the OC did not use available talent. One was the few wide screens to the sideline. On three occasions the starting slot back was the primary blocker and at 165 pounds he got blown up and injured twice (not his fault) attempting to block and none of the three plays went anywhere. Why was not bigger proven blockers, such as Cottrell or Jarrett, in the game at their normal positions to make those blocks. Or a runner like Oliver to receive the pass. A play calling example was the time we gained a long 6 yards on first down. Instead of going with Mason twice to get 4 yards and move the chains we went with one of our 45% pass plays, failed to get 4 yards , stopped our drive and failed to get close enough to at least get a field goal. Not having two backs, our most talented group, in the game more often especially on short yardage is a mystery. These examples have nothing to do with our big "transition".

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow

Really. Let me introduce you to Tech fans.
Speaking of Friedgen, I recall some trivia that he was fired at UMD despite coaching some of their best football for a long time and after winning ACC coach of the year. Afterwards, UMD football has been in the dump both on and off the field.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There are many examples where the OC did not use available talent. One was the few wide screens to the sideline. On three occasions the starting slot back was the primary blocker and at 165 pounds he got blown up and injured twice (not his fault) attempting to block and none of the three plays went anywhere. Why was not bigger proven blockers, such as Cottrell or Jarrett, in the game at their normal positions to make those blocks. Or a runner like Oliver to receive the pass. A play calling example was the time we gained a long 6 yards on first down. Instead of going with Mason twice to get 4 yards and move the chains we went with one of our 45% pass plays, failed to get 4 yards , stopped our drive and failed to get close enough to at least get a field goal. Not having two backs, our most talented group, in the game more often especially on short yardage is a mystery. These examples have nothing to do with our big "transition".
You name Cottrell and Jarrett as blockers. Do you not see any issue there?

Not trying to rip on them but c’mon...you don’t think there are better blockers out there? Just because that’s what we had doesn’t make it ideal. I think your point is moot when you look at what we had to work with. I feel like your point just gets stomped because we don’t yet have the proper players to work with...at all.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of Friedgen, I recall some trivia that he was fired at UMD despite coaching some of their best football for a long time and after winning ACC coach of the year. Afterwards, UMD football has been in the dump both on and off the field.
That was a stupid decision by Maryland, Fridge only wanted 1 more year. Their decision included terminating (their head coach in waiting) James Franklin. James then took Vanderbilt to new heights and Penn State out of the JoPa mess.

slugboy

Staff member
When do they start scrimmaging?

Good question! I had to check the rules.

They get up to 15 practices, 12 with contact, 8 with tackling, and 3 with 11-on-11 scrimmages. I’m sure we started contact drills this week.

I’ll guess we see a scrimmage this upcoming week, and some tackling. Maybe a former player can give the structure, but I think Collins arranges things a little differently, but within the rules.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/B...all-Practice-Rules-Outdated-Limited-18081474/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Available personnel?

Well, let's see, we had an OL that wasn't P5 quality.
We had a R-Fr QB that missed spring practice due to academics when Patenaude was installing a completely new offense.
Our top 4 WRs from the previous year either graduated or were injured and unavailable.
Our starting RB from the year before graduated.

He's an OC, not Jesus.

Score in the red zone?
In 1990 we tied UNC, who wasn't that good. The only blemish on our record. We drove into the red zone all day but couldn't punch it in. Why? Our 3 best OT's were injured. See the point about the OL above. "Utilization" doesn't matter if you can't block.

Some people would have been after Ross to fire Friedgen after 1987 if message boards had been around.
Don't forget the fumbled punt inside the 10 yard line that gave them an easy TD. We actually could have easily lost that game. I think we scored late just to tie.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The AD didn't like him and also ran off a great BB coach Gary Williams. The AD was Debbie Yow who was Kay Yow's sister. She got UM into a lot of debt and then bailed out to NCSU.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell was used primarily on ST as the gunner on punts. He was so fast he often overran the coverage. He was willing to do whatever it took to be a good teammate. He was all in last year when he could have folded his tent and gone home. I never understood why we didn't throw deep more to him with his speed.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I thought he gave a great interview and I seriously don’t have a clue what we were doing last year. Seems like we were throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. I’m hoping with the personnel to fit the system, that last year was an aberration.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo this year on O will go as our qb does. Last year it was harder to say that will all the issues i totality they were trying to overcome or were deficient in.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In fact I don’t even recall YOU specifically giving our coach grief about this so don’t think that I’m lumping you in if that wasn’t you.
You recall correctly. I had a lot of reservations about Patenaude last year, but they didn't have anything to do with his not owning up to mistakes and misjudgments. If I recall correctly, sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. Personally, I've never seen the point in doing mea culpas about offensive performance. You didn't move the ball? It's all on film; take a look and fix things if you can. Wringing your hands about it doesn't help.