Spring Practice Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You sure about that? Coach was searching for bodies and trying to bring guys along last season at spring. Lemme guess, I’m missing the point again :rolleyes:

Nope, just the news stories. For instance, see:

https://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article233610507.html

or

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ch-offense-clarifying/NRtsFzWtTW2IS681UUb0xJ/

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The guy was happy talking all the way through spring. I think it just the way he is; sort of like it was hard to get an encouraging word out of Paul, it's hard to get a discouraging word out of Patenaude.

As to missing the point: you do, you know. Every now and then.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He sounded like that last year too. I think I'll wait and see what (if anything) he does with the pieces.

He is an experienced and polished professional. I have no doubt that he knows football x's and o's inside and out, can evaluate and motivate players, and can coach lots of appropriate football techniques. What he has to do to prove to me that he is a good OC is better utilization of available personnel and play calling to move the chains and score in the red zone. Even with our problems last year with transition on O we really underachieved badly and embarrassingly, in part because of poor utilization of talent and incoherent play calling which he was in charge of.

Scubapro

Banned
[QUOTE="
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The guy was happy talking all the way through spring. I think it just the way he is; sort of like it was hard to get an encouraging word out of Paul, it's hard to get a discouraging word out of Patenaude.

.[/QUOTE]

At least he was on target about the record number of three and outs. I think he needs to worry about scoring touchdowns rather than 'possessing the ball'

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He is an experienced and polished professional. I have no doubt that he knows football x's and o's inside and out, can evaluate and motivate players, and can coach lots of appropriate football techniques. What he has to do to prove to me that he is a good OC is better utilization of available personnel and play calling to move the chains and score in the red zone. Even with our problems last year with transition on O we really underachieved badly and embarrassingly, in part because of poor utilization of talent and incoherent play calling which he was in charge of.
Yep. They are all of them "experienced and polished professionals". You don't get considered for the job unless you are. And a substantial number of such "experienced and polished professionals" get canned every year.

I'm not calling for that with Patenaude, however. He was obviously looking at player combinations last year to try to find players going forward. No harm in that, I suppose. The problem comes with the rest of your post. Here we agree and, for me at least, he has things to prove. Since he seems to think he'll be able to do just that, give him a year or so more and let's see if he can.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
[QUOTE="

At least he was on target about the record number of three and outs. I think he needs to worry about scoring touchdowns rather than 'possessing the ball'[/QUOTE]

Oh the irony

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Making adjustments during the game is what makes or breaks a coach. Assuming you don't have vastly superior talent, you need to see what your opponent is doing that wasn't on previous game films and make the necessary adjustments. PJ was an expert in this unless he was severely outmanned. Clearly there were other areas that he struggled. As our talent improves, the key is to figure out how to leverage our strengths when we are running more vanilla offenses. In the past, Friedgen was an expert of in game adjustments. In the pro game, Shanahan really was the driver for the Falcons Super Bowl run for the same reason. I think at the end you want a coach who has the savvy to see what is going on the field and make the necessary adjustments. That is still the unknown with the current regime but I do think better talent to match their schemes will show whether they have the skill to make the necessary adjustments.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I know a few Alabama fans and they think they need to pass more. Clemson fans don't said anything negative. Other teams I don't know . who is the OC at SMU

Garrett Riley but im pretty sure Sonny Dykes (old Cal Berkeley coach) is running the show

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone name 5 college teams that their fans are 100% satisfied with their offensive coordinator ?
What percentage of Tech fans do you think ARE satisfied with our offensive coordinator? You'll never have 100% satisfaction, but 70-80% should be doable.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What percentage of Tech fans are satisfied with anything... game day, game time, uniforms, attrition, home and homes with ga state? I'd list everything but it is infinite.
99.9%. Almost every Tech fan has things they are either happy with or are satisfied with because they don't care one way or another about changing it.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
What percentage of Tech fans are satisfied with anything... game day, game time, uniforms, attrition, home and homes with ga state? I'd list everything but it is infinite.
Don’t forget Friday nights, Thursday nights, nooners, and water refills