Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
So somebody break down for me what exactly our RG did wrong besides whiff on the block. He might as well have not even been on the field. Was it technique or just plain lack of quicks?
The guard steps with the wrong foot, allowing the DT to snake by him. A good OL will tell you that the most important aspect of a block is your first step, and this just illustrates what I've been talking about for years. Sewak can't even get his players to take the right step off the ball, and the footwork looks just awful.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The guard steps with the wrong foot, allowing the DT to snake by him. A good OL will tell you that the most important aspect of a block is your first step, and this just illustrates what I've been talking about for years. Sewak can't even get his players to take the right step off the ball, and the footwork looks just awful.
We have two OL coaches, how do you know this is Sewak's guy? Also, shouldn't OL's know this way before even setting foot on a college campus?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things here:

1. Whiffing at the snap seems to be a repeated problem that I saw during the Spring Game. More with the younger guys on the 2nd team OL than the first line guys...so that should tell you something. It's just not Brad Morgan, it's pretty much all of our guys. Either everyone is on a different page (which may be the case given all the movement on the OL), or our guys need to be coached up. I tend to think it's more the former than the latter. Brad Morgan made some mistakes, but he's going to be a good one...isolation of plays just makes it seem worse than it really is.

2. Maybe our DTs are a lot better than we think. KCH and Glanton are pretty athletic and have a decent first step. Sometimes a better player makes a good player look bad. That's football.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We have two OL coaches, how do you know this is Sewak's guy? Also, shouldn't OL's know this way before even setting foot on a college campus?
Yes, this is something you should learn in highschool and really even middle school. Imo the o line has had some pretty bad technique at times though.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Amazing how dumb Sewak got from '14 to '15.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Considering CPJ said the OL wasn't very good in '14, I'm not sure he "got" dumb.
I wish it was just the coaching. I am starting to think it is a lack of talent especially with the second line and most particularly the tackles. But on the other hand, they have all of fall practice to work on it and get it right. If we can just get by BC we have two games to tinker with things and hopefully improve each game. We will see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If we can just get by BC we have two games to tinker with things and hopefully improve each game.
With fingers crossed for this very thing.

I have commented in previous years that even in the best of seasons this offense seems to need warm up games to work out all the kinks and get all the parts of the machine running smoothly. Opening with a conference game is going to put a lot of demands on the team to get up to speed early.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
With fingers crossed for this very thing.

I have commented in previous years that even in the best of seasons this offense seems to need warm up games to work out all the kinks and get all the parts of the machine running smoothly. Opening with a conference game is going to put a lot of demands on the team to get up to speed early.
yeah...but it is BC.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I expect to see a low scoring game. Both teams had a lot of time to prep for each other. BC returns quite a bit from that D bit lost the co ordinator so there could be some in game issues getting adjusted to the new staff. I hope our boys come out fired up with somethings to prove after last years disaster. If we come out flat it says a lot about the leadership on the team. I just hope to god we are not the team BC ends there ACC losing against.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It's highly impressive to me how BC has been able to have great defenses over the last decade and a half. They've had no-name recruits who've turned into college and NFL studs - Keuchly (sp?), Herzlich, Brace, Raji ... And, they've been ranked highly as a unit - like top 10 a few years with Spaziani (sp?), and then again last year with Brown. To me they serve as a big kick to the legs of any excuses of ours as to why we shouldn't have a great defense.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It's highly impressive to me how BC has been able to have great defenses over the last decade and a half. They've had no-name recruits who've turned into college and NFL studs - Keuchly (sp?), Herzlich, Brace, Raji ... And, they've been ranked highly as a unit - like top 10 a few years with Spazione (sp?), and then again last year with Brown. To me they serve as a big kick to the legs of any excuses of ours as to why we shouldn't have a great defense.
Coaching is my guess.