Spring Game

Milwaukee

Banned
Delayed is as good as cancelled here. The local schools and universities arrange their spring break to coincide with Masters week. Delaying would cause as many if not more problems than an outright cancellation. The impacts of traffic on school buses would be extremely problematic to say the least.

You Augustans would just have to suck it up for a week for the rest of the golfing world.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
It won't really hurt the ANGC. It could potentially cripple many of those who rent premium houses. Many overspent their housing budget to get a premium property that was "rentable" and make an extra $15-20k or more this one week alone. Loss of that money could be devastating. Not to mention all the hotels that aren't really needed throughout the year that make their budget based on the 100,000+ people who migrate here for the week. To a lesser extent, many families who rent their homes have already paid good sums for vacations and now the income from the rental is in danger. Not too mention all the service industry employees in this area.

Yes, ANGC definitely doesn’t “need” the money lost from one year of no Masters. They have no shortage of funds/resources. Those who aren’t from Augusta, or aren’t on golf, have zero idea of how well off ANGC/The Masters really is. But the ripple effect in the community, as you touch on, is going to be huge. I’ve seen economic analysis for what The Masters does for the local economy, and it is an enormous impact, to say the least. I’ve seen some estimates in our industry, for certain businesses, show that Masters week is the equivalent of adding 1-2 months of revenue to their bottom line.

Yes, ANGC definitely doesn’t “need” the money lost from one year of no Masters. They have no shortage of funds/resources. Those who aren’t from Augusta, or aren’t on golf, have zero idea of how well off ANGC/The Masters really is. But the ripple effect in the community, as you touch on, is going to be huge. I’ve seen economic analysis for what The Masters does for the local economy, and it is an enormous impact, to say the least. I’ve seen some estimates in our industry, for certain businesses, show that Masters week is the equivalent of adding 1-2 months of revenue to their bottom line.
An update to the article whose link you posted earlier....it now includes this

Just got a text from an Augusta National member: “I believe the tournament will be played. Discussions are ongoing. Limiting patrons seems likely. Might be none at all. Closing practice rounds, canceling the Par-3...everything is on the table. Expect an announcement next week.”

— Alan Shipnuck (@AlanShipnuck) March 12, 2020

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
An update to the article whose link you posted earlier....it now includes this

Just got a text from an Augusta National member: “I believe the tournament will be played. Discussions are ongoing. Limiting patrons seems likely. Might be none at all. Closing practice rounds, canceling the Par-3...everything is on the table. Expect an announcement next week.”

— Alan Shipnuck (@AlanShipnuck) March 12, 2020

Lines up with the latest from my source. Expect announcement Sunday PM/Monday AM concerning no patrons. They don't want to announce during TPC tourney.

Lines up with the latest from my source. Expect announcement Sunday PM/Monday AM concerning no patrons. They don't want to announce during TPC tourney.
I don't know why the rush. Seems to me that they could easily wait till the end of next week and see if maybe the panic atmosphere has cleared up any. I personally think there is a good bit of over-reacting regarding things like this right now.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Given the stats I've seen this week, the country of origin is China, but the daily new infections are steadily decreasing each day. Given China's historically poor responses to humanitarian issues, I think it's reasonable to conclude the spread is clearly slowing in a country w a poor overall health system. Given the limited numbers of cases in the US and the response thus far, I would be shocked if this was just the tip of the iceberg and the virus will still be spreading come summer.

I could be wrong, of course, but I feel confident in what I stated above.

And if you believe the numbers coming out of China...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And the Good Lord can go ahead and be crucified without a conflict too. LOL

thats-not-how-this-works-gif-.gif

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

That quote was from earlier in the day, but yes, I feel that Augusta may do that. However, the PGA just shut down the Players Championship, so that’s out of the way for ANGC to make their announcement. Lol.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would think majors take precedence, but I don’t know that for certain.
The PGA has their schedule and ANGC has its schedule. They could overlap with the regular tour event open to those who do not qualify for The Masters. That still wouldn't clear the status of those golfers who can't enter the country from Europe.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
For those in the know -

Do big organizations (NCAA, ANGC, The group in Atlanta making the Final Four happen here) have any sort of legal immunity or Insurance, if you will, protecting them from losses or giving them immunity in these type situations?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
For those in the know -

Do big organizations (NCAA, ANGC, The group in Atlanta making the Final Four happen here) have any sort of legal immunity or Insurance, if you will, protecting them from losses or giving them immunity in these type situations?

If they don’t, they will now.

slugboy

Staff member
For those in the know -

They may have an insurance policy, but whether it pays off for a pandemic is another question.
Some states have declared states of emergency, and it might pay off there.
Things may be complicated and lawyers may be involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Most if not all cancellation based insurance has very strict circumstances that pay off in cancellation. This is not one of them.