Spring Game

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just heard from an inside source that ANGC is most likely about to cancel the Masters. They are trying to find any way around it and failing. Probably going to announce this afternoon.

Last edited:

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Friend of mine who works there said they are seriously looking into cancelling the whole thing outright.

That’s now what we (golf industry) are hearing. Just too much uncertainty and pressure to do so. You’d still have all the international travel (participants, press, players’ entourages, etc), so the risk is still high, no matter if you bar spectators or not.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC has suspended all athletic activities until further notice. This includes practice, games, recruiting -everything. SEC has done the same t March 31st and will re-evaluate at that time.

Statement from the Atlantic Coast Conference:
“The Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic related activities including all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships until further notice. The decision was made following consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors to mitigate the further spread of COVID-19.”

Statement from ACC Commissioner John Swofford:
“This is uncharted territory and the health and safety of our student-athletes and institutions remains our top priority. This decision is aimed to protect from the further spread of COVID-19.”

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
That’s now what we (golf industry) are hearing. Just too much uncertainty and pressure to do so. You’d still have all the international travel (participants, press, players’ entourages, etc), so the risk is still high, no matter if you bar spectators or not.

I’m assuming they will, but they better honor the tickets for next year and not just offer refunds. I don’t speak for everyone who won tickets through the lottery but I’ve thought about this tournament since I received my email last July. So disappointed in these reactions.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The ANGC knows how much economic impact they have on the city and that's the biggest hindrance. This has the potential to bankrupt s good many individuals here in the CSRA.

I’m assuming they will, but they better honor the tickets for next year and not just offer refunds. I don’t speak for everyone who won tickets through the lottery but I’ve thought about this tournament since I received my email last July. So disappointed in these reactions.
Series ticket holders will still be on the list next year. I agree that lottery winners' tickets should be honored next year.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m not sure how they will do it, if it is in fact done. There’s really no win-win for them. But I would expect it to be like any other cancellation when they have them (weather, for instance)...no replacements made. They actually already have that policy in place and stated for any course closure, so I’d halfway expect it in this event.

The ANGC knows how much economic impact they have on the city and that's the biggest hindrance. This has the potential to bankrupt s good many individuals here in the CSRA.
Have you ridden down Washington Rd near the course lately? The work they have done on the big lot down across from the Vineland subdivision (which they will eventually purchase too) is amazing. HUNDREDS of full-grown trees planted along the road there, plus a tunnel from that lot under the road. All that work for nothing, at least for this year. WOW !!!

I’m not sure how they will do it, if it is in fact done. There’s really no win-win for them. But I would expect it to be like any other cancellation when they have them (weather, for instance)...no replacements made. They actually already have that policy in place and stated for any course closure, so I’d halfway expect it in this event.
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) – A tradition that brings celebrities and pro-golfers together along the Grand Strand has been canceled for this year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Have you ridden down Washington Rd near the course lately? The work they have done on the big lot down across from the Vineland subdivision (which they will eventually purchase too) is amazing. HUNDREDS of full-grown trees planted along the road there, plus a tunnel from that lot under the road. All that work for nothing, at least for this year. WOW !!!

It won't really hurt the ANGC. It could potentially cripple many of those who rent premium houses. Many overspent their housing budget to get a premium property that was "rentable" and make an extra $15-20k or more this one week alone. Loss of that money could be devastating. Not to mention all the hotels that aren't really needed throughout the year that make their budget based on the 100,000+ people who migrate here for the week. To a lesser extent, many families who rent their homes have already paid good sums for vacations and now the income from the rental is in danger. Not too mention all the service industry employees in this area.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Masters shouldn’t be cancelled. Delayed maybe, but not cancelled for the entire year.

Delayed is as good as cancelled here. The local schools and universities arrange their spring break to coincide with Masters week. Delaying would cause as many if not more problems than an outright cancellation. The impacts of traffic on school buses would be extremely problematic to say the least.