Spring Game

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The coronavirus would not dare invade hallowed Augusta National. Would it?

Lol. I really don’t see The Masters being held this year. We’ve been talking about it in the industry, and the majors calendar is pretty spaced out and planned to a T. Not sure where they can slot it in. Pretty much no one I’ve talked to today thinks they will actually hold it this year.

Lol. I really don’t see The Masters being held this year. We’ve been talking about it in the industry, and the majors calendar is pretty spaced out and planned to a T. Not sure where they can slot it in. Pretty much no one I’ve talked to today thinks they will actually hold it this year.
I don't see how they can do it either, but the AGCN usually gets what it wants, and to hell with everybody else.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see how they can do it either, but the AGCN usually gets what it wants, and to hell with everybody else.

To an extent, yes. But it’s going to be tough slotting it in anywhere that doesn’t affect other majors. And to a lot of international players, The Masters isn’t as big of a deal to them as it is to US based golfers, so if you start forcing pros to choose between their typical schedules leading up to the Open Chmpionship, US Open, etc, you might not draw the same players. Then you have Ryder Cup at the end of this season to go against. I don’t think Augusta will hold the tournament during the summer, as they are Bentgrass greens. They wouldn’t have the speed they are known for holding it during Georgia summer heat. So unless they could slot it in in the next few weeks somehow, the opportunity gets very tight.

To an extent, yes. But it’s going to be tough slotting it in anywhere that doesn’t affect other majors. And to a lot of international players, The Masters isn’t as big of a deal to them as it is to US based golfers, so if you start forcing pros to choose between their typical schedules leading up to the Open Chmpionship, US Open, etc, you might not draw the same players. Then you have Ryder Cup at the end of this season to go against. I don’t think Augusta will hold the tournament during the summer, as they are Bentgrass greens. They wouldn’t have the speed they are known for holding it during Georgia summer heat. So unless they could slot it in in the next few weeks somehow, the opportunity gets very tight.
Yeah, the course itself usually closes down even for members a week or so after the Masters. They MIGHT be able to reschedule it for the Fall, after the course is open again.

I figure Georgia Tech's Spring Practice will wind up suspended Tennessee just suspended their Spring Practice today. I figure the NCAA will allow a longer preseason practice time for everyone this Summer.
If I am not mistaken Tech's Spring Practice has already been suspended because of the ACC. I was also wondering about a longer preseason practice time in the Summer.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the course itself usually closes down even for members a week or so after the Masters. They MIGHT be able to reschedule it for the Fall, after the course is open again.

Fall is a possibility, but would compete with the Ryder Cup. Summer I think is definitely out. ANGC is not set up agronomically for summer. It’s characteristic look is achieved with Ryegrass over seeding, which will not be able to tolerate GA heat (why it’s closed during the summer). You would completely change its playing characteristics as a course holding it in the summer. And you have to wait for GA heat to break before you can slick Bentgrass greens back down to ANGC’s typical speed, not to mention overseed the Ryegrass back in the fairways. So mid Fall is about the earliest I could see them slotting it in agronomically. But even Jack Nicklaus, an ANGC member, just came out and said there’s almost no way of fitting it back in. I hope they can, as it’s my favorite event and one I more or less grew up on attending, and is the reason I’m in this industry in the first place.

Fall is a possibility, but would compete with the Ryder Cup. Summer I think is definitely out. ANGC is not set up agronomically for summer. It’s characteristic look is achieved with Ryegrass over seeding, which will not be able to tolerate GA heat (why it’s closed during the summer). You would completely change its playing characteristics as a course holding it in the summer. And you have to wait for GA heat to break before you can slick Bentgrass greens back down to ANGC’s typical speed, not to mention overseed the Ryegrass back in the fairways. So mid Fall is about the earliest I could see them slotting it in agronomically. But even Jack Nicklaus, an ANGC member, just came out and said there’s almost no way of fitting it back in. I hope they can, as it’s my favorite event and one I more or less grew up on attending, and is the reason I’m in this industry in the first place.
I knew you had attended some in the past, but I didn't know your being in the industry was due to that. That's very cool.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's pretty much April or bust. I remember a couple or three decades ago that it touched 90 degrees on the course on Halloween and they didn't cut the grass because it was still too young.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Had not really thought about it that way, but even if it could be held it would seem to require canceling one or more tour events and I doubt even for the Masters would they accede. The sports landscape is turned upside down and I am not even counting on a college football season given this outbreak and is incubation period, and the way it spreads. This country might actually have to live without sports for a year or more, or tightly controlled venues with no spectators for televised games ... maybe. Unfortunately financially that is just not possible. The only good news for me should baseball be canceled, as I think it will, is that LA's Dave Roberts will be without a job.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If the virus finds it harder to spread as the weather heats up, then there is some chance we might see some sporting events ramp up. But that's a big if.

Personally, I think fall and, perhaps, winter sports will be cancelled as well as most spring and summer sports to boot; I don't see anything but a slowdown of the thing this summer. I'll miss football, but there's always Netflix.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If the virus finds it harder to spread as the weather heats up, then there is some chance we might see some sporting events ramp up. But that's a big if.

Personally, I think fall and, perhaps, winter sports will be cancelled as well as most spring and summer sports to boot; I don't see anything but a slowdown of the thing this summer. I'll miss football, but there's always Netflix.
I have to say that the NCAA, an otherwise worthless conglomeration of important people from somewhere, I know not, finally got something right without threats of lawsuits when it gave athletes of canceled spring sports another year of eligibility. They might have to do it for every sport. Our whole comfortable way of life has been upended here.