Spring Game Postgame Thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Grahm looked better early, but LJ starting really feeling it after a couple of series and Grahm starting getting a bit skittish during the progression. Thomas looked like stud. There was one play where he scraped down the line through a couple of linemen and penetrated to destroy the back. I hope his injury was just windage.

Great energy and crowd. Congrats to Roddy on the ACC Network gig. Dude's been working out.
He played many more downs. 25 sees the future and runs by the blockers instead of into them.
He and David Curry were a very good.
If I'm DP I don't know why you seriously wouldn't keep a package of our flexbone with a whole bevy of plays. The players know it, it's smash mouth, and can come in handy. Especially in short yardage since it looks like he may not ever go under center (of course this was just a scrimmage and they didn't wanna show a ton of looks). We were ridiculously vanilla on D and very much so on O as well. We don't want too much tape to be out on us. But why not incorporate a flexbone package with Tobias under center, Benson/Howard/Griffin at BB, and Griffin/Cottrell/Jarrett at AB for certain situations. It would be a great opportunity imho. 2, 3, 4 times a game in short yardage situations. Would give defenses absolute fits after scheming for the spread read option 4 wide attack all game.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I wanna see us under center and able to play some power football. You can't win against the big boys going 4 wide and trying to run the ball in short yardage situations from the gun.

Time will tell. I want a true multiple offense. I'm not going to be happy if we never go under center and try to run the zone reads EAST/WEST style running attack without attacking the line of scrimmage. I think it would be super cool to Paul and he could even consult just on a small package of plays. That's how you leverage everything you have at your fingertips, Geoff. Paul can still help us imo.
You could be right.
Geoff did show that formation on first play then shifted.

It looked more like a tribute.
Those who can tell better than me as to why he did it thought it was unsavory or petty.

Leaving motive to people more polished at that, I think we should QUiCKlY line up then shift. We could catch them in a defense like the 2018 ucf, vt, Louisville defense and then run qb around right end.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The defense looked uninspired and I hope they were instructed to take it easy for they surely looked like they were taking the night off. Defensive line looked pedestrian. The running backs, who appear talented, were rarely featured. We have a log jam there and unless something changes we will be wasting a significant part of our talent.

The defense was limited to five base plays, on purpose. Mainly to showcase scoring which looks cool to fans and recruits. I'd say don't read too much into it yet.

According to The White and Gold (paywall):
"Coach Geoff Collins, himself a defensive guy, admitted it wasn’t easy to pull the reigns in on the defense, but said it was done for the benefit of the program. Plus, he said, the fans who come to watch a spring game want to see points on the board."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That looks sweet, but to me the white pants are more important than the outline. I don't think we roll with gold on gold in the season.
I think you’re right. I think the gold on gold look was mainly for contrast against the other team. The other team was white on gold, you can’t be gold on white, it’d be too confusing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He played many more downs. 25 sees the future and runs by the blockers instead of into them.
He and David Curry were a very good.

You could be right.
Geoff did show that formation on first play then shifted.

It looked more like a tribute.
Those who can tell better than me as to why he did it thought it was unsavory or petty.

Leaving motive to people more polished at that, I think we should QUiCKlY line up then shift. We could catch them in a defense like the 2018 ucf, vt, Louisville defense and then run qb around right end.
I think it was meant as a tribute. Then again, I’m not sure it actually played out that way.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
My analysis:
QB - we'll be just fine here. Graham has the tools and the athleticism, but he's not putting the ball where it needs to be or playing in rhythm. He needs to take a big leap to start. Hard to judge LJ fully with the faux sack rules. Definitely missed on some, but he's ACC starter level IMO. Really Lantz and Byrne even impressed. We'll be fine. A lot more QB run game will be in the future that couldn't be showcased yet.
WR - most impressive group IMO. Plenty of depth too. Feel good that we've got guys who won't easily get shut down and will at least give us a chance if the QB can deliver the ball to them.
OL - hard to judge. First team definitely did a lot better. They are quick firing off in the run game and could hold the blocks against the DL just fine. Don't know how much this is a knock against first team DL but also severely limited D playbook.
RB - capable but not impressive on the night. I did see them pretty consistently picking up positive yardage even if nothing impressive and generally knowing where to find a hole. There's a little bit of find a hole and hit it hard going on which is not altogether bad, but someone with more selective patience and balance can create bigger plays. Really excited for Jamious to join the group. Think he'll rise to the top right away.

DL - 2nd team DL was winning one on one matchups pretty regularly. First team got swallowed up most of the time but didn't over pursue and could collapse the pocket enough to force the QB to move or release the ball. Given the vanilla playbook, not sure how they'd do in blitz packages, stunts, etc. Seems that's more what we'll need to do with the kind of bodies we have. On the plus side was a lot of depth.
LB - didn't stand out which to me was a good thing. Cleaned things up appropriately at their level and kept slants, etc. from busting and requiring an accurate throw to complete.
Secondary - not as impressed as I expected. Still gonna be some growing pains, but the talent is there, and there were some plays where everyone was just swallowed up and there was no chance of the offense going anywhere with the ball. Good to see as previous zone schemes always left some window if the pressure wasn't there.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Remember it was a practice game so someone will look good and someone will look bad. The good to me it wasn't the same one all the time. If the offense scored every time we would be worried about the defense. I thought the QB's looked good. Hard to tell on some of their runs as it seemed like at times all the defense had to do was touch them. Not sure but I hope we come up with a few other plays for the 2 point conversion but I'm sure the coaches where calling a conservative game to not show stuff. He'll I'm ready for September.

Scubapro

Banned
The energy and crowd were great.
The scrimmage looked like they were playing two hand touch
I didn't get much of an idea on how we are going to look in the fall. I knew that Johnson and Graham are good QBs. Not much of an idea on our blocking or pass rush.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Some observations from my mother. She is one who is still much attached to CPJ, and not handling change well. The following seasons are going to be interesting from her lolllll

Comments from mom:

-We’re like Miami now
-They played that rock music that you would like the whole time the band wasn’t playing
-What’s the 404? Nobody I asked knew
-It’s boring football again. Just passing and running

I tried to talk her off her ledge, but it was no use. This is gonna be fun lol she also thinks our coach danced around with the players like “Mark Richt did with his thugs.”
If we win, the GT “U-ish” antics will be well received. If not, CGC will get castigated for having an undisciplined team. He’s doing it his way & is the Head Coach, the buck stops there. As has been pointed out ad nauseum on here, the Head Coach is responsible for W-L not just one team stat category.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Today we:
1) Got more football commits than Clemson.
2) Beat Clemson in baseball.
3) Beat Clemson in Lacrosse.

We get Jamious Griffin, of all positions, we’re deep at RB.

Camp, Carter, Brown, Sanders. That’s 4 WRs right there I don’t want to have to cover. And we get more next fall like 4-star Ezzard.
Do you mean on this particular day, or overall? I am not a day to day recruiting follower, but who did we get? (Or maybe what did we get?) Last I looked Clemson was stacked, and then I saw something about them getting the nation's No. 1 player, or maybe the No. 1 position player, or something. (And as an aside and off-topic, if you don't think Swinney can coach, he just coached $90 million out of Clemson without even threatening to go to Alabama ... which he has no intention of doing, ever. Maybe that MBA is working.)