Spring Game Expectations.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, as I said, I couldn't go. Sprained ankle. So I watched some of it.

First, Philo is as advertised. That young man can throw. Any pass, any route, any situation. Nice touch as well. The commentators were saying he might push Pyron for #2. I don't think he'll take it quite yet, but the future is written.

Second, Bradley Shelton. Some might not know that he was Philo's main target in high school. And he is fast, fast, fast. As everyone saw today. Btw, having him return punts is an excellent idea.

Third, Elko, of course. Kid can catch and run routes. Decent turn of speed too. Commentators said he might end up in the rotation at WR. It's a wire match between him and Shelton, I'd say.

D looked pretty good, but I didn't see any particular player stand out. That is actually how you want it, however. Good D is usually an anonymous business; everybody gets their hits. I feel we'll be better on that side, but how much is still to be determined. One thing: the commentators pointed out that Powell was on his third DC in as many years. Yeah, and that goes for most everybody. This can be unsettling. We'll see if Santucci can make it work.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

First, Philo is as advertised. That young man can throw. Any pass, any route, any situation. Nice touch as well. The commentators were saying he might push Pyron for #2. I don't think he'll take it quite yet, but the future is written.

Second, Bradley Shelton. Some might not know that he was Philo's main target in high school. And he is fast, fast, fast. As everyone saw today. Btw, having him return punts is an excellent idea.

Third, Elko, of course. Kid can catch and run routes. Decent turn of speed too. Commentators said he might end up in the rotation at WR. It's a wire match between him and Shelton, I'd say.

D looked pretty good, but I didn't see any particular player stand out. That is actually how you want it, however. Good D is usually an anonymous business; everybody gets their hits. I feel we'll be better on that side, but how much is still to be determined. One thing: the commentators pointed out that Powell was on his third DC in as many years. Yeah, and that goes for most everybody. This can be unsettling. We'll see if Santucci can make it work.
Who is Powell?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed with the true freshman Franklin at corner who covered Singleton up on a long pass and RS Dowdell seemed to also have a good game at corner as well. Standout player on D was LB Butler. Gee made some good plays. RB Alexander ran hard. The new TEs are an upgrade. Blackburn got going late but Taylor and Stockton were good all game. Elko was a real surprise. The OL starters seem to be Riggs at LT and MacKenny at RG along with Fusile, Franklin, and Williams. That second OL is pretty good.

It was hard to judge the D but the QBs had outside running room all day but the middle seemed to be clogging up things better. Pressure was good at times but the QBs hung in there and made some nice throws. All the QBs can move the O, good news.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Who is Powell?
My bad. Powell-Lee. And, of course, it's Bailey Stockton. Don't know how I made that one since I've been aching to see him play, especially when Philo is on the field. Looks like the combo is working just like ti used to.

Last edited:

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing: the commentators pointed out that Powell was on his third DC in as many years. Yeah, and that goes for most everybody.
Well, that depends on how you count the years. I’d say third DC in two years. Or either not count the interim guy. Anyway you cut it, changing coaching carries risks.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
danny daniel, thought you covered it pretty good, be interesting to see if we do anything in the portal. I could see maybe the front 6/7 defense. think we're probably in good shape at TE. Do we lose any at WR, we're loaded?

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Are Shelton and Elko on scholly?Not much info on AA roster list about them as to bio.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Sharing my general impressions, many echo @danny daniel's…

Offense: We have a depth of talent for the skill positions that I haven’t seen in quite some time. Not too concerned if we get into “next man up” situations at QB, RB, or WR. Some of this could be biased by Buster’s explosive play offense in its second year going against a new defensive staff, but it appears we have some very talented freshmen despite only being in the system for a few weeks.

Defense: Hard to take too much from a spring game. There were a few quasi-sacks that might have stopped drives but it seemed that the refs didn’t apply negative yards. Some good plays by the secondary and linebackers, but a few busted coverages too. Again, with a new coaching staff and special rules, it's difficult to evaluate. All in all, we have some promising young players, and the starting D-line should be solid.

Special teams: Aiden Birr is developing into a weapon at placekicker.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
danny daniel, thought you covered it pretty good, be interesting to see if we do anything in the portal. I could see maybe the front 6/7 defense. think we're probably in good shape at TE. Do we lose any at WR, we're loaded?

I saw Taylor, Stockton, and Janneh coming on strong and now Blackburn gets in the mix and maybe Elco. I see pressure on Lane and Boyd and Leary to step up. We have two freshman tight ends coming in June and Seither should be back from injury to join the 3 tight ends who just played well. We have lots of quality receivers as well as a large and good group of O lineman, RBs, and QBs.

On D I liked what I saw in Butler at LB. I still want to see what Lightsey, Burrell, Hamilton, and Cruz can do. I was impressed with the freshmen CBs Franklin (especially) and Dowdell. Gee seems healthy and ready to contribute at S . In the portal I would be looking for D players: LB, DE rusher, DT, Safety/Nichel and replacements for any contributors we may lose.

I noticed the Captains for todays game were walk-ons and I wonder what that means (recognition from the coaches for walk-on contribution in general or strong upward significant performance from these specific players) ?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw Taylor, Stockton, and Janneh coming on strong and now Blackburn gets in the mix and maybe Elco. I see pressure on Lane and Boyd and Leary to step up. We have two freshman tight ends coming in June and Seither should be back from injury to join the 3 tight ends who just played well. We have lots of quality receivers as well as a large and good group of O lineman, RBs, and QBs.

On D I liked what I saw in Butler at LB. I still want to see what Lightsey, Burrell, Hamilton, and Cruz can do. I was impressed with the freshmen CBs Franklin (especially) and Dowdell. Gee seems healthy and ready to contribute at S . In the portal I would be looking for D players: LB, DE rusher, DT, Safety/Nichel and replacements for any contributors we may lose.

I noticed the Captains for todays game were walk-ons and I wonder what that means (recognition from the coaches for walk-on contribution in general or strong upward significant performance from these specific players) ?
They said on the broadcast that the captains were all scout team player standouts. It was a recognition of the players who give it all on even on the scout team.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a little worried he was over hyped after his first 2 throws seemed off. However after settling in he really balled out!

I feel for Pyron a little cause I think there is a good chance Philo jumps him going into next year to take over for King. Regardless I know that Pyron isn't feeling bad for himself and is working his butt off to give everything he has! He is a great kid and an awesome representative of the Institute!!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
#44 is a beast. They had to take him off the field so the other offense could get going. I saw a lot of good on defense. DB’s who had length and attacked the ball.