Spring Game Expectations.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In case anyone is interested, RR.com has posted game highlights and stats here: https://ramblinwreck.com/2024-white-and-gold-game/

A few interesting stats:
  • Leading WRs performances - R-Fr Chris Elko (5/143), T-Fr Bailey Stockton (4/113). The best veteran performance was Rutherford at 5/50.
  • Leading QBs by yards/TDs - Pyron (194/2), Philo (120/2). King completed 73% of his passes.
  • We spread it around with RBs; none had eye-popping stats but Haynes had the top performance with 44 yards and a TD.
Don't see highlights?--. just Key and King review.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Was it just me or did anyone think Jamal Haynes has changed his body in the off season?
Yes, but the real change is that he has learned how to be an RB. Especially in following his blocks, something most WRs have little idea how to do. I don't know how well he will do in the season to come, but he'll look like an RB doing it.

Cooley and Currie looked pretty good too. Imho.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Actually I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he has worked to increase his strength in the offseason. Definitely not your imagination.

I the broadcast interview j Haynes said he was up to 190 pounds and was faster as a result of off season workouts.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We had some good players who did not participate in the Spring Game likely due to being banged up or in long term rehab:
!3 WR Canion
28 RB Maddox
32 DE Yondjouen
51 LB Ashley
55 OL Robinson
77 OL Rutledge
80 TE Seither
82 WR Long
I am not sure about 22 S Moore ans 81 WR Horne. There were some roster players who had announced for the portal who also did not play.
Did I get this correct? Our 3 most experienced safeties got dinged up in the game but hopefully nothing serious.
Right now the only longer term loss is Long. This will definitely be a stronger team with these players available.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We had some good players who did not participate in the Spring Game likely due to being banged up or in long term rehab:
!3 WR Canion
28 RB Maddox
32 DE Yondjouen
51 LB Ashley
55 OL Robinson
77 OL Rutledge
80 TE Seither
82 WR Long
I am not sure about 22 S Moore ans 81 WR Horne. There were some roster players who had announced for the portal who also did not play.
Did I get this correct? Our 3 most experienced safeties got dinged up in the game but hopefully nothing serious.
Right now the only longer term loss is Long. This will definitely be a stronger team with these players available.
Add 73 OL Screws who also did not play.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
!3 WR Canion
28 RB Maddox
32 DE Yondjouen
51 LB Ashley
55 OL Robinson
77 OL Rutledge
80 TE Seither
82 WR Long
I heard on the Go Jackets podcast that DJ Moore played Saturday and was in a black jersey. I do recall seeing a DB with a black jersey in the game. No explanation on the podcast as to why he was in a black jersey, though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I heard on the Go Jackets podcast that DJ Moore played Saturday and was in a black jersey. I do recall seeing a DB with a black jersey in the game. No explanation on the podcast as to why he was in a black jersey, though.

I did hear that 81 WR Horne was banged up and did not play.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think DJ Moore can be a stud CB. I want to see him learn the position and succeed

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think DJ Moore can be a stud CB. I want to see him learn the position and succeed

DJ was moved to Safety in the Spring and reported doing well, but this is his third significant injury causing him to miss a lot of practice. I agree about his talent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was a little worried he was over hyped after his first 2 throws seemed off. However after settling in he really balled out!

I feel for Pyron a little cause I think there is a good chance Philo jumps him going into next year to take over for King. Regardless I know that Pyron isn't feeling bad for himself and is working his butt off to give everything he has! He is a great kid and an awesome representative of the Institute!!
Right decent QB too. I think he wasn't able to show his main strengths given the format of the game. The young man can run. He wasn't able to fully show that since there was a "No runs for you!" rule in place. Both Pyron and King suffered from that. And, while he is no slouch in this department, Philo isn't as cute or as fast as either of the guys ahead of him. We'll win on his arm, not his feet. Mind, he can move around in the pocket with the best of them already.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I saw Taylor, Stockton, and Janneh coming on strong and now Blackburn gets in the mix and maybe Elco. I see pressure on Lane and Boyd and Leary to step up. We have two freshman tight ends coming in June and Seither should be back from injury to join the 3 tight ends who just played well. We have lots of quality receivers as well as a large and good group of O lineman, RBs, and QBs.

On D I liked what I saw in Butler at LB. I still want to see what Lightsey, Burrell, Hamilton, and Cruz can do. I was impressed with the freshmen CBs Franklin (especially) and Dowdell. Gee seems healthy and ready to contribute at S . In the portal I would be looking for D players: LB, DE rusher, DT, Safety/Nichel and replacements for any contributors we may lose.

I noticed the Captains for todays game were walk-ons and I wonder what that means (recognition from the coaches for walk-on contribution in general or strong upward significant performance from these specific players) ?
I really don't think you'll ever see Cruz at LB.