Spring game 2016

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't go to the game; the job interfered.

From what Whiskey says, sounds like the last 4 - 5 spring games I've seen: the O seemed disorganized and the D dominated. At least it didn't rain.

I also listened to Coach's news conference. He was disappointed, but not that disappointed. He said 2 - 3 times that everything on O had looked better until today. We'll just have to wait for the leaves to turn next year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the press conference replay - all these quotes are as close as I can remember to what CPJ said

"I think the 2nd team OL line was all walk ons". I can think of 3 OL that did not play this spring. Could be wrong but regardless YOU NEED TO START RECRUITING MORE & BETTER LINEMAN! Start running an orthodox system that allows us to recruit enough D & O lineman. GET A FREAKING OL COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO COACH. Now this is truly not rocket science. Same ole crap.

Question from reporter "Is pitching the ball the hardest thing for a young QB to learn?" Again WTTE . CPJ's answer? "I guess." Totally smart azz or a guy that has given up on really succeeding at GT. (Which might be understandable ). But if you were a sidewalk fan considering investing $ for tickets, how would you react to that?

I can understand being antagonistic to the ATL press, but you are paid big $ to do it. You expect your players to show up every day ready to go and give it all? Do the damn same coach! You want positive press? Start winning, not once every 4 years, the big games. And now we have lost 2 straight to puke and uwhine&cheese .

We may be fine come fall, we never know with this guy, but the smart azz responses, the bad coaching, bad recruiting, the whiney azz press conferences have long ago gotten old.

Stopped listening about 1/2 to 2/3 way through. Same story - different time.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just got back home from the game. As I noted we found a D tackle to go with KCH for the next 3 years. I loved what I saw from the DBs, tight coverage and solid tackling. Kallon is showing flashes and Branch is a good one. On O, Mills is a player, great body lean and toughness, Jarrett surprised me (pleasantly), JJ showed hands and I think will be a good, all around A back. It wasn't pretty but I saw some very good individual play (and that was more what I was focusing on). O line is going to have to step up but there were a number of times when the QBs held the ball too long so it wasn't jail break city like we saw so much last year. Get everybody healthy, in shape and I think we have a decent to good O line when the season begins. No great surprise the D is ahead of the O at this point. As noted the WRs weren't getting separation, don't know if that was a product of the play of the DBs or a failing of the WRs. I'll have to go and look at the replay. The WRs did have some moments and they shows some very good blocking skills.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pass protection only marginally better than last year. But that said,...

Echo the point about receivers getting separation. Plenty of times with all units if someone had been open when the quarterback was first ready to throw, the protection would have been good enough.

I don't know why Messick isn't more of a factor. He so much looks the part and he runs well.

Middle of the line didn't give the Bs much to work with. The hope is that will change when Freddie's back.

Jarret looked really good to me. Qua didn't get the ball much but looked good too. If one A back per game turns a nice gain into a touchdown last year, we're looking at a decent year instead of a disasterous one. The hope is that those two, plus Lynn Grifith and Nate Cottrell, give us some of those and it'll be a different year in 2016.

Like the look of B back #26. Mills, I think. Runs low with power, plus has some quickness and wiggle.

I didn't think JT looked bad at all. In fact, what I kept thinking was just how bad the drop off is between him and the rest of the QB corps.

Wish Dieke had another year. He has grown into one ferocious looking dude.

Best surprise as noted earlier was Glanton. He looks the part, big body who plays low. Plus he has some quickness. Add Gambel, Francis, Cerg-Henderson and the position could turn into a strength. One thing PJ pointed out after the game, though. When Roddy asked him how people looked, he said he would have to see who they were lined up against. Glanton might have stood out because he was consistently lined up with someone he overmatched.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Justin was basically allowed to be "tackled" via two hand touch.

Q appeared to be okay walking the sidelines after he left the game.

Tre Jackson looked good. Talked to him - gave him hug for DaddyBill - and asked him how much weight he'd put in. He told me he's actually down in weight but is cut up. The dude has blow'd up muscle!!!

KirVonte got to play some at the end but didn't get a toss. Did get some good blocks in in some running plays and definitely on pass blocking.

Bottom line, not a barn burner as the D did overall well.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening to the press conference replay - all these quotes are as close as I can remember to what CPJ said

"I think the 2nd team OL line was all walk ons". I can think of 3 OL that did not play this spring. Could be wrong but regardless YOU NEED TO START RECRUITING MORE & BETTER LINEMAN! Start running an orthodox system that allows us to recruit enough D & O lineman. GET A FREAKING OL COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO COACH. Now this is truly not rocket science. Same ole crap.

Question from reporter "Is pitching the ball the hardest thing for a young QB to learn?" Again WTTE . CPJ's answer? "I guess." Totally smart azz or a guy that has given up on really succeeding at GT. (Which might be understandable ). But if you were a sidewalk fan considering investing $ for tickets, how would you react to that?

I can understand being antagonistic to the ATL press, but you are paid big $ to do it. You expect your players to show up every day ready to go and give it all? Do the damn same coach! You want positive press? Start winning, not once every 4 years, the big games. And now we have lost 2 straight to puke and uwhine&cheese .

We may be fine come fall, we never know with this guy, but the smart azz responses, the bad coaching, bad recruiting, the whiney azz press conferences have long ago gotten old.

Stopped listening about 1/2 to 2/3 way through. Same story - different time.
I agree with a lot of what you said here. What is with the attitude ? Who is he disgusted with - the press ? , the coaches ? , the players ? It's not worthy of someone representing a program , and being damn well paid to do it. We all have parts of our jobs we would prefer not to do, but we have to just drop the smart *** routine and suck it up. It's really getting old, and even worse BORING !

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't need our coaches handing out roses and farting fairy dust every time they answer another dumb question. I haven't heard it yet but every time I read a gripe about CPJ media attitude I just don't see anything to really complain about. Unless someone is wanting roses and fairy dust farts.:rolleyes:

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe I drove from the other side of Athens to see that mess! Beautiful day and nobody there is kinda embarrassing. I saw a few recruits walking around with G day game lanyards in our stadium sums the day up. I'm sure the ugag fans that attended got a good laugh out of it as well!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't need our coaches handing out roses and farting fairy dust every time they answer another dumb question. I haven't heard it yet but every time I read a gripe about CPJ media attitude I just don't see anything to really complain about. Unless someone is wanting roses and fairy dust farts.:rolleyes:
Wait I didn't realize that was something we could ask for. Is it? I wonder what a fairy dust fart would smell like? Back to the point. I didn't think he was bad. He answered their questions honestly made a couple sarcastic jokes in which everybody laughed. He said that there were a lot of missed assignments by the second team o-line but that's not their fault because most were not there, here that long, and there was a point when there were five walk ons out there for them. He said the offense in general lacked energy and the team as a whole lets things snowball instead of bowing there back.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
You misunderstand my meaning. There is a lot of room between smart *** and fairy dust farts. Coaches are constantly creating impressions of their programs. It's a sales job in a lot of ways. Tech's football product ain't exactly the hottest ticket in town. Sure a smart

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe I drove from the other side of Athens to see that mess! Beautiful day and nobody there is kinda embarrassing. I saw a few recruits walking around with G day game lanyards in our stadium sums the day up. I'm sure the ugag fans that attended got a good laugh out of it as well!
Who cares? If we go out and handle our buisness during the season it doesn't really matter what other fans or recruits do.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
You misunderstand my meaning. There is a lot of room between smart *** and fairy dust farts. Coaches are constantly creating impressions of their programs. It's a sales job in a lot of ways. Tech's football product ain't exactly the hottest ticket in town. Sure a smart
sorry, took too long .......I was just going to say that being a smart *** is not the most important thing, but it is one more thing that creates an impression of the program. And not in a good way, IMO.