Spring Competition

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Best bet I've seen is he wasn't quite prepared for the academics/time management side of it and gave it a good ole college try to come to the conclusion its not for him.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Tech is not for everyone.
a real shame, I saw him as best of CBs in last 2 yrs when recruited

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you on it being interesting. Here's my take, fwiw.
Safety: AJ Gray, Corey Griffin, John Marvin, Shaun Kagawa
CB: Step Durham, Lance Austin, Lamont Simmons (USC transfer), Meiko Dotson
NB: Law Austin

The five guys I have here as starters have all played a good bit. I wouldn't be surprised if some A-Backs get some time over there, but I wouldn't know who. It didn't sound like CPJ was inclined to move Lynn back.

my take---I know Lynn looked ok at Aback but we need him on def.We have Abacks STACKED up like cordwood seemingly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
my take---I know Lynn looked ok at Aback but we need him on def.We have Abacks STACKED up like cordwood seemingly.

Fwiw, I'm sympathetic to this position. Yet, the way CPJ talked about how he felt A-Back was a more natural position for Lynn and that they'd been trying to talk him into moving over for a while makes me think it unlikely. We'll see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken I think CC had about as many yds rushing as passing in hi school.That means ,he can't pass good enough for this level.Great athlete--see AJ Gray.Having a broken hand would about kill the chance /time to practice for QB .
We need athletes on DEf. esp large ones.
I get the rest of the post, but as to running in HS vs. passing: remember there once was a Mississippi HS QB who played for a guy, his daddy, who ran a wishbone and was not giving it up no matter what. (Remind you of anyone?) Threw four or five passes a game. Then played 20 years as a slinging QB in the NFL, setting all kinds of passing marks. And Brett Favre could throw the ball through the stadium wall. So HS is not often a good marker for college offenses.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
OK, add to this list Dorian Walker a RS Fr (listed as a WR/DB) and Jalen Johnson may switch back to DB from WR. Also David Curry, an LB, might play some Nickel. Still, we seem thin at DB. I wonder if we're looking at a Grad Transfer here.

I agree with the depth thing but for another reason. For me, when I watch both Austins and step Durham...they are all nickel or boundary style CB's....where I think we need help is 2 legit field side CBs. Lets assume Lamont Simmons is one...we need doran or dotson to step up. Now, for me this is ideal. But with Roof, I see him possibly going with Step or the other austin as starting field. IMO this isn't a talent match....but they have the most experience....so we could see this.

I like AJ gray at one spot, and I am a fan of griffin at the other I think he has grown well into that role. I also think you could see one of the austin twins go to S if we have depth concerns

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
For me, when I watch both Austins and step Durham...they are all nickel or boundary style CB's....where I think we need help is 2 legit field side CBs.

For field vs. boundary corner, are you looking for more speed on the field side or strength?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with you on it being interesting. Here's my take, fwiw.
Safety: AJ Gray, Corey Griffin, John Marvin, Shaun Kagawa
CB: Step Durham, Lance Austin, Lamont Simmons (USC transfer), Meiko Dotson
NB: Law Austin

The five guys I have here as starters have all played a good bit. I wouldn't be surprised if some A-Backs get some time over there, but I wouldn't know who. It didn't sound like CPJ was inclined to move Lynn back.

There is also a new name at safety. Can't disclose yet but is is a position transfer.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
For field vs. boundary corner, are you looking for more speed on the field side or strength?

speed and covg is more important vs raw speed. Boundary you like to have a physical corner that can tackle in space; come up and hit you; often playing a bit off so you can roll the S to the field side since more yardage to cover....Boundary corners are tougher guys alot of the times too. Field guys are more fleety types that talk alot of trash. Boundary guys are the stick you nose in it types that just walk back to huddle. lol

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There is also a new name at safety. Can't disclose yet but is is a position transfer.

Okay, we'll wait for you to tell us Christian Campbell when you're more comfortable (it was discussed in the thread on recruiting his brother). However, if that's not whom you meant, then we could add him to the list as well.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I get the rest of the post, but as to running in HS vs. passing: remember there once was a Mississippi HS QB who played for a guy, his daddy, who ran a wishbone and was not giving it up no matter what. (Remind you of anyone?) Threw four or five passes a game. Then played 20 years as a slinging QB in the NFL, setting all kinds of passing marks. And Brett Favre could throw the ball through the stadium wall. So HS is not often a good marker for college offenses.

there are no absolutes but if a guy doesn't hit 60+% and/or have a huge ydage total then I think he can't play QB in D1--can't think of an exception in last few yrs

btw-the Crenshaw guy from Greenville,Ala was an example at Tech of a fine run/pass QB in hi school that couldn't pass good enough ,of course we may have some on the squad now

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, we'll wait for you to tell us Christian Campbell when you're more comfortable (it was discussed in the thread on recruiting his brother). However, if that's not whom you meant, then we could add him to the list as well.

lol...ok just wait then.
I would tell yall more but some yall whine and have big mouths. I know this crap weeks before its posted on here.
Some don't appreciate the info and cant keep quiet , so it don't get posted.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
lol...ok just wait then.
I would tell yall more but some yall whine and have big mouths. I know this crap weeks before its posted on here.

You would accuse others of having a big mouth and being unable to keep quiet because they repeat what you posted on an online message board? Oh, the irony...

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
lol...ok just wait then.
and great grammar by the way...